94 Protege Swap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Protege Swap Questions

Perusing yard sales today I noticed the tags were missing from an intact Mazda sedan I see every day. The resident said that the owner (his dad) passed away last week and he would sell it for $100! We popped the hood and it has a 16-valve SOHC engine and 5-speed. Should I grab it? It's a half-mile away!

If you know it runs or has recently, that's a good B8 engine ripe for the picking, or a good daily driver. I had a 91mcnasty 5-speed sohc, great cars, I averaged around 35-38 highway mpg.
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Jump on it!
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

My neighbor has a 94 b8 5 speed protege, its just a hair shy of 300k, and he's driving it daily still. Ive looked at it a few times and aside from minor things, if a distributor is minor($$) he hasn't had any major problems out of it.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Certainly $100 is a very minor investment, especially if it runs and everything is still in there. The scrap yard will give you more than that once you're done scavenging the wires, ECU, engine and drivetrain.
          So, yes I would suggest your B8 swap dreams are becoming more realistic than you once thought.

Comment

Buy it!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

If it has the console with the cupholder behind a door,thats another good upgrade.
              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                Jump on it!
                Jump on it twice!!
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I cannot hold my breath any longer.........................
                  Is it yours????????????????????????
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Is it? It sure should be, what a great deal!
                    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Even it's was rusted out and no motor and trans it would still be worth a couple hundred at the scrappers. So if it's complete and or runs GET IT!
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

BUY!
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I bought it! $100, complete, rust-free, running, title, cold a/c. Was ticking but is quieter now. Idle was fast but has similar screw as Fest. Moved it a few feet and horn stuck. Read that it is common prob. Disconnected horn (need to find relay) and drove it around. Has all gears and feels tight. Need to sneak it home tomorrow. Car is too roadworthy to yank B8 for swap. Maybe I'll find something big tomorrow!

Comment

^ lucky!
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If the horn stuck on, possible it is due to something that broke under the horn button. That happened to me on the RX-7 wheel that I swapped onto my Festy. Check it out.

Excellent score BTW!
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X