No announcement yet.

Are '93 rear beams different than '91?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are '93 rear beams different than '91?

I took the axle ends off my '93 rear beam last night to bring them to work, as my driver's rear sounded like a bad bearing. Turns out it was just a brake spring broke and dragging. Took one out of the '93 assembly and fixed it.

But in taking them off the '93 beam last night, there was a tube welded inside of the beam, like in the location where I've seen guys run all thread in there to stiffen the beam up. It was about the size of a piece of 1/2" conduit and had caps over the holes on the ends. My '91 beam just has two holes.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

I think my 92 also had it, its just an internal torsion bar.

Comment

Forerunner of the Aspire torsion bar perhaps? I have 2 93s and a 92 and none of them have that feature.

Comment

Sounds exactly like an Aspire beam. My '93L doesn't have anything like that.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I wondered if maybe it might be an Aspire beam.

The driver's rear shock mount threaded insert had come out, so a PO zipper wheeled a slot in it wide enough to fit a wrench up inside.

So it might be worth swapping into my car?
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
            I wondered if maybe it might be an Aspire beam.

The driver's rear shock mount threaded insert had come out, so a PO zipper wheeled a slot in it wide enough to fit a wrench up inside.

So it might be worth swapping into my car?
            Huh?

If you have an Aspire beam (trailing arm?) already in place your back wheels will be 4 hole x 100mm. Be a nice surprise for you, given the amount of work that is involved, plus somebody's anonymous purchase of donor vehicle that provided those parts.

Comment

Nope, it has 4x113.4 drums on it.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I also have 2 93 cars that don't have the bar in them. It may be possible to somehow put the festiva drums on the aspire stub axles with some modifications, or put the festiva stubs on the aspire beam with some drilling and filing. I havn't had the stubs off an Aspire, but I think they are a different bolt configuration where they bolt to the beam. Maybe you have a strange freak of nature. We see weird stuff like that down here with a lot of cars because the parts/cars will trickle up from Mexico or Central america. I have seen a 2002 toyota Camry with a carbureted engine and it was all stock!
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

not sure about the rod there

but do 93's have the drilled spindle ends like aspires have?
                  Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                    not sure about the rod there

but do 93's have the drilled spindle ends like aspires have?
                    Yes I do believe so, the 93' I had did.
                    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      I also have 2 93 cars that don't have the bar in them. It may be possible to somehow put the festiva drums on the aspire stub axles with some modifications, or put the festiva stubs on the aspire beam with some drilling and filing. I havn't had the stubs off an Aspire, but I think they are a different bolt configuration where they bolt to the beam. Maybe you have a strange freak of nature.
                      Okay, you're onto something here. I tried to put the 93 pieces on my car, the top two studs wouldn't go in the holes, but the bottom ones did. I think maybe it is an Aspire, but it has Festy modified axle stubs, or maybe it just has.the Festy drums on there?
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

What you have there, Larry, is a bastard car. Sounds like something my dad built out of 4 different parts cars he got for free, LOL.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

both my 93s have drilled spindles.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            both my 93s have drilled spindles.
                            You mean drilled for cotter pins for a castle nut? As opposed to the stake nut of earlier models. Both of my 93s are like that and I switched the 92 over once I discovered that. Much nicer system.

Comment

I'll get some pics, I think I have a Festy beam still from my car after I first got it. The bastard spindles are in the back of my truck here at work, the bastard beam is at home. I've got some Festy spindles as well, I'll try and make a comparison.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X