Where to buy wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy wheel bearings

I need complete sets for the rear and for the front left. I assume buying used is NOT a good idea.

My garage is charigng me big$ (I think) compared to what I've been able to check on the Internet. Rear: 43$ per wheel, front $56 per wheel parts only

rockauto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...&parttype=1672
    Rear: $14.52 per wheel Front: $17.80 per wheel
    Even with the $38 shipping and currency exchange it's still half price for three wheels Are there other parts that needs to be changed as part of this work that I"m not seeing (brackets, hardware...)

FMS sell a kit, but it's a bit more expensive, does FMS include something that the other's don't? or are there better quality parts?

Are these SKF bearings? If so, I can buy them through our work OEM account for cheap, all I'd need is the serial number

Should I get the right front done, while I'm at it?

I will not attempt on doing the work myself.

You guys are very special to me and my Festiva and appreciate all your help!
    I will NOT drive a minivan

If I were you, I'd get both fronts done at the same time. You don't know when the other side will go, and new bearings may decrease the rolling resistance.

I get my bearings from rockauto and do them myself. You should be able to do them too!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Both Autozone and Advance auto parts here have them in stock.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

For the rears, there is also an oil seal you'll need to buy for each side. I think it was $3 when I did mine.

I would only change out what is needed. I changed out the front/passenger side bearings at 180,000 on my first Festiva(but didn't do the driver's side). I sold the car when it had 280,000 miles on it, and the driver's side bearings were still good. The fronts are kind of a pain to change since you have to deal with the preload spacers, so in my opinion, don't fix what isn't broken. Just because one side is bad, it doesn't mean the other side is going to fail soon(of course it doesn't mean that it won't either).

Just my $.02(Canadian)

Comment

When changing the front bearings you may have to change the preload spacer as well. When I changed them on the right front on mine, the car pulled to the right, I had to change the spacer. I got a couple from Ford until I got the right size. This can be a pain.
          Also don't forget to replace the seals, there's an inner and outer seal on the front. Auto Zone used to have the wrong part listed, I don't know if they ever got it right.
          Getting the bearings apart takes a special tool (according to the shop manual). I made one using two flat pieces of metal, a gear puller and a very large socket.
          ~Jeff
          1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
          1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
          2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
          X