Tag-Along Trailer @ Harbor Freight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tag-Along Trailer @ Harbor Freight

I saw this and thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it. It seems a bit too single-purposed for those of us who'd use a trailer for more than trips to Madness, but at $400, it's not a bad price at all, considering if you bought one of those cargo carriers brand new they'd go for the same amount without the trailer, and these carry 600lbs!

Last edited by DriverOne; 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

That is pretty cool, gotta love H-F tools
    Tim
    '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
    '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
    '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
    '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
    '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
    '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
    '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
    '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

Pros: Already made for you; neat package; use the coupon and get another 20% off for a total of under $340 if bought at same price at a store.

Cons: "Max speed is 55 mph." Also, I've heard you need to redo the bearings in this trailers soon after getting them. Not sure what the deal is there.

I'd actually prefer to make my own from a used trailer and a used cargo carrier via CL or other used source. Then I'd have more control over the specs. Specifically, 12 or 13" wheels and a higher top speed. I'd want it capable of at least 65 mph safely.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
        "Max speed is 55 mph."
        That's with the stock bearings. Often times replacing them with quality equipment will yield higher-speed capabilities. I agree that scrounging the Craigslist is the definite answer, however. In fact, that's what I'm doing for mine.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Somewhere between 80 and 85 mph , loaded a little over the rating on the
          tire ( not the trailer ) for 2 hours straight , you might lose a tire. I lost one
          once in ten years. It was old and probably not inflated to max. These are the
          little 8 inch ones.

I lost 4 in a row from the local tire store, but when I went into the back room
          I saw the tires banded to a pallet and it crimped the little ones really bad.

I went back to buying mounted tires on the wheel and they last clear down to
          the cords.

I can show you a pic of one if you want . I put my old baldies on this trailer because
          I don't tow it as much, since the wife got hurt it is just a storage trailer mainly. I tow it
          into the shop to rotate things for the season.

The bearings are a little hard to find, I got rust spots on one of the trailers bearings so I bought some off the net because nobody local had them. I have never lost a bearing
          on the road.

I was in Safeway one day and a jeep with a bunch of teenage girls drove over it.
          It bent my stake pocket but my fender brace tore a hole through there quarter
          panel, messed up the door and removed some plastic on the jeep.

I was rock crawling with 2 quads on the trailer, you have to piggy back them
          to make them fit. I was using the Toyota pick up at the time, the festy was not
          lifted yet. A rock that was a little too tall snagged the axle and bent the axle beam
          like this > not quite that bad but really bad. We unloaded and used the winch
          to pull the axle straight enough to get home. Loaded back up, spent a week out
          there and came home, put the beam in the press and got it eye ball good.
          I put the alignment equipment on it and dinged it a few times until it was dead
          on where I wanted it. I still run that trailer ragged.

I have lots of trailers and use them a lot. The ones that get used the most are
          the little red trailers, they are dependable, tough for there weight and easy to
          tow.

Heck, when the festy made a national magazine in an article about towing
          it was one of the little red trailers on behind!

That said, I do not have the trailer pictured by the OP but it sure looks cool!!

My old baldies on a trailer that is way to heavy but these tires take a beating!
          Last edited by Movin; 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
          X