Not sure what to do with Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what to do with Festiva

So, I'm a little unsure what to do. I own a 1993 GL manual with 240k miles. It's been doing some shaking at freeway speeds, and I'll be doing quite a commute a few times a week for school this semester, so I bought a used Scion.

I love the Festiva, my dad bought it brand new, and I inherited it, so I am quite attached and would hate to see it go, but it would be too much of a hassle for me to maintain. Not to mention it needs some work done, which I'm not really willing to do since it's not my daily driver anymore and I have a car payment to make on another car lol.

Over the past few years, I've replaced several things that have needed fixing, but I have noticed the clutch has been getting harder to push in over the last few months. It still drives allright, but I think it is due for a tune-up, and my last fill-ups were 41-43mpg, which I am going to miss

My question to you guys is, what would you do? I really don't want to junk it, and I don't really want to sell it to someone who is just going to abuse it. I would feel better parting with it to someone who appreciates Festivas and could probably get it back up and running in tip-top shape (if only I was more mechanically gifted). I'm in the Kansas City, MO area, but the car was in California until 2008, so it has like no rust if any at all.

I did get into an accident with it back in like 2004 or something, lady merged in front of me then stopped :angryfire:, so the hood bent back and the headlights broke.The hood was replaced and is therefore a slightly darker shade of red than the rest of the car and the left front corner is bondo color, but I don't think it was enough to do any damage to the frame ( I'm no expert though).

If I were to sell it, what price range would you guys think I should be shooting for? I can take some pictures when I get back home in a week, and I can also get the list of repairs I have done to it then as well, if it would help.

Sorry if this post was a little long-winded, and I'm doubly sorry if I posted in the wrong area.

If you want I can come by and take a look! I may even be interested in the car.
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Do you have somewhere you could park it for a few years ?
      So many people wish they had kept their first cars. It would
      be really fun to restore in the future someday, especially
      because of the sentimental value of this one.

Heck, go to the tire store, go to the quick lube, then get a soda
      at the gas station and you just spent more than its worth!

They will probably start going up once people find out that these
      newer hybrids cannot be kept on the road like our festies can,
      once the transmission or battery pack degrades the newer cars
      are not worth fixing. Most people do not have the Airbag or ABS
      computer diagnostic tools to do it themselves, so the newer cars
      will spend more time in shops, all this will help our cars to start
      going up in value.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My mouth was watering 'til I got to the part where you wrecked it.

Comment

I will give ya $20 for it

No, I like Movin's idea, park it somewhere. Be smart about it, too. Wash it, wax it, and put a car cover on it. Put stabil in the tank, and start it up a couple times a week. There will come a time that you will miss that car, and have more time/cash to do something with it. Others may have better storage ideas than me as well.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Well these cars are so simple, it'd be easy to get it driving like new again

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              Well these cars are so simple, it'd be easy to get it driving like new again
              Exactly The Festiva is like the "Legos" of Cars.
              '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

As a poor student myself, I would do what the others are saying. I would just put it in storage until you have money (making sure to start it up every week or so to prevent problems from sitting). Plus you could always get some people from the website that can do an engine swap for cheaper than a shop most likely.

Comment

240K, I doubt he needs an engine swap, probably a throwout bearing and pilot bearing for the clutch. Might as well do the entire clutch job while it is out.

Me, I do any Festiva repairs for free, you have to get the car to me, though. Quite a hike, but I did the clutch on Lucky with some help from a friend this year, in one evening. Easy job, really. If rust is not a factor!
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                  X