Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you do to improve highway (70+ mph) handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you do to improve highway (70+ mph) handling?

Hi Everyone,

Starting in January next year, I will be commuting about an hour a day, three times per week to college. This requires me to drive on the highway where the speed limit is 70mph.
    Since I might have up to 3 people including myself, plus backpacks, equivalent in weight to 4 people, I figured I should test out how the Festiva would do with this much weight and speed.

So, today I took it for a spin with me and three other adults. It took 70 up a hill just fine. I could have gone even faster However, it isn't the most comfortable way to travel....car steering vibrates quite a bit. Engine RPMs are high. The car is perfectly comfortable at 55mph so I don't believe anything is seriously wrong.

I was wondering if any of you guys had done any fairly easy modifications to your suspension to make speeds like this more comfortable.
    Here's a list of things I have done already:
    1. Had front tires professionally balanced
    2. replaced sway-bar-to-control arm and swaybar-to-frame bushings

I was thinking about possibly installing bigger wheels which would lower the RPMs somewhat, but could possibly reduce my power.

This is an '89 carburated 4-speed with 12-inch rims.

What do you guys think?

Not sure how much work your wanting to do but maybe consider a 5 speed tranny, itd be a direct swap for your 4 speed

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have condsidered this. just how much would this change the RPMs?

Comment

At 75 mph I'm only at 3000 rpms.

Comment

Forgot to say in 5th gear.

Comment

Originally posted by mintFestiva View Post
            Thanks for the suggestion. I have condsidered this. just how much would this change the RPMs?
            1st-4th would feel the same, you'd just be adding another gear, it's been a long time since I had a stock 5 speed setup but if memory serves me right, 5th gear @ 50mph = roughly 2500rpm

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

find some front springs and put them in the back for more load capacity and better handling. also may want to replace/upgrade the rear struts while you're at it.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

5th is more like 2300 at 55.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Do the Aspire swap. You can't go wrong with bigger brakes, wheels and tires plus a full load.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    find some front springs and put them in the back for more load capacity and better handling. also may want to replace/upgrade the rear struts while you're at it.
                    I did that not too long ago. As you said, it does jack up the car in the rear. I am waiting to do the aspire swap before cutting, but I plan on cutting the springs a little to lower it again.

It REALLY improved handling, but also revealed the flaws in my weak suspension up front I tend to drift a little at highway speeds if I am not careful.
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

1.5 coils should do the trick Paul.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        1.5 coils should do the trick Paul.
                        That much you think?

I figured I would get the aspire fronts on, get the tires on, and trim to the right length. I would have guessed, purely off the top of my head, to cut about 3/4 and install, go from there. I might take that up some if you think so.

Not that I mean to jack this thread, I kind of meant to add my support to your idea
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

i'm figuring the rear is already raked from factory, and then adding the front springs to the mix, you'll want to level things out a bit. but you're right, start small and work at it till its where you want it.

Comment

Working...
                          X