Socket sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket sizes?

I know the 10, 12, 14, 17, but there is one for the drive axle nut that's 23, correct? Are there any I'm missing? I'm trying to build a custom set.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Axle nuts are 29mm Oe and 30mm for some aftermarket.
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Damn! Okay, I still need more. Thanks, GHI.
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Seat belt bolts are 16mm

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

So

Comment

I've come across 18 far too often for 80s Ford carriage and bumper bolts but not sure about application on Festys.

Comment

^ i hate those 18's i can never seem to find my socket ... dang cross member bolts
              ** not festy 90's ford truck

Comment

I remember using a 15 a few times when pulling engines
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Don't forget the 21mm! Crank bolt and rear spindle nut. Also, if you are ever planning on wrenching on other's festivas or in the junkyard its good to have a 13 and a 15 in the mix. Often times bolts that may have gone missing and been replaced over the years tend to have 13 or 15 mm heads. I see this most often on the top alternator bolt (usually ends up 13 instead of 12 like stock) but it appears in various places from time to time. Another popular one is a 15mm for the pinch bolt on the ball joints. I've even seen a mix of 14mm and 15mm, with the nut being 14 and the bolt being 15, or vise versa.

Also, you shouldn't really need a 29 AND a 30. I've got a 30mm axle nut socket and have used it just fine on both 29s and 30s for years. One less socket to buy and it will help cut down on the carrying weight of your custom tool kit.
                  Last edited by htchbck; 09-06-2012, 05:32 AM.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

At this point it seems that a 'custom' kit includes the entire metric range! I was hoping that a few sockets would be left out, but the only section I'm leaving out is the 22-28 or 29, which with most sets I've found is pretty standard anyway... Oh well.

Comment

I carry a small set of wrenches and sockets in the 10-32mm range. They all fit in a small box with a driver and a few extentions ranging from 1/2" to 10", which also fit in the box.

At least I did when I had my Civic... I have yet to do this for the Festiva, yet. I usually sell the sets w/ the car.

Comment

You can leave out everything <8, also 9, 11 and 20, but thats about it if you want everything covered. If there are no aftermarked bolts at all you can also ditch the 13, 15, and 18.
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

...but if you're working on a rusty car, its' good to keep those sizes around, as well as a hammer.

Comment

If you can't find a 29mm then 1 1/8" is the same size. Battery terminal and distributor uses 13mm (at least on my cars). You'll want a spark plug socket also and the steering wheel is a 22? Can't remember, but you'll want a socket for that.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Now that I've got Aspire stuff and Kia wheels the ball-seat bolts (VW/Audi orgin) I've switched to are 17mm. Much better grip on those with a socket than the OEM Festy 14s.

There are Amer Std and Metric similar socket sizes and I often find if one fits loose to try one of the other series. For instance 1/2" and 13 are often interchangeable and yet one is slightly better fitting then the other in trying situations where a nut or bolt is about to strip or round over.

Comment

Working...
                              X