Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying a car in us currently registered in canada,???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a car in us currently registered in canada,???

Hi guys, I found a festiva LX for sale by a canadian currently living in NYC, the car is registered in canada still,
    anyone know how i am supposed to get a title for the car?
    Im thinking this is going to be a huge headache and might pass on it..
    thanks,

What year? I'd be concerned that after 1990 the US festivas came with passive restraints and the Canadian ones didn't. This may be an issue as the cars need to meet the US safety requirements of the year they were built.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Its a 1990 Lx with a B6 swap that was done back in 91,. the guy who owns it currently works in nyc and is selling the car.

I need a car like yesterday man, my jetta needs alot of money to pass inspection, and i just see weeks of headaches trying to get a title for this car, not to mention tha fact that i would have to go in and out of the nyc in the evening from jersey a pain in the ass in itself...

Comment

You should tell him to drive it on I87 North, until that baby comes home where it belongs

I'll buy it!
        I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

He is probably going to HAVE to drive back to canada to get all the paperwork sorted before he can sell it in the good ol usa.

Comment

Have him register the car here in the US, that way he can take care of the headaches for you. That is assuming he really wants to sell it here.

Waiting to "behold the power" of Ra...:roll:

Comment

from what info i have gathered it looks like he would have to drive the car back to canada, call ford,

get a letter sent to him saying that it meets 1990 epa, us dot specs, pay dutys then if you are lucky you can apply for a title, hah what a pain in the ass..

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
                What year? I'd be concerned that after 1990 the US festivas came with passive restraints and the Canadian ones didn't. This may be an issue as the cars need to meet the US safety requirements of the year they were built.
                Really? I did not know that I always assumed that all Festiva's were without airbags. I live in BC, my car is a "Canadian one" and as you say, does not have passive restraints. Are the post-90 US cars equipped with just a driver airbag or a passenger one as well?

You learn something every day :shock:
                A Festiva saved my life.
                Former owner of a '93 L.
                Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
                R.I.P. "747"

Comment

Originally posted by Deathshead
                  from what info i have gathered it looks like he would have to drive the car back to canada, call ford,

get a letter sent to him saying that it meets 1990 epa, us dot specs, pay dutys then if you are lucky you can apply for a title, hah what a pain in the ass..
                  That why he should sell it to me J/K

Really? I did not know that I always assumed that all Festiva's were without airbags. I live in BC, my car is a "Canadian one" and as you say, does not have passive restraints. Are the post-90 US cars equipped with just a driver airbag or a passenger one as well?
                  I think it has to do with the seat belts you put on yourselves and the newer style (in the US) that are hooked to the door and the restaint is motorized vs mechanical on the old ones. No Festivas has airbags
                  I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

just steal the car
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                    Paulbarrera12.com
                    Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

ha, well he said somone just gave him a brand new car and any cash offer would basiclly buy the car, but with no title, whatcha gonna do? Maybe if i needs a parts car..

Comment

Working...
                      X