Why Mr. Timing Belt Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Mr. Timing Belt Cover?

Why do you have to be such a pain in the butt to replace? You even come in two parts. But the pullys still gotta come off... Why mister timing belt cover?

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Some say you can get the top one off (for timing belt insp) without removing the WP pulley but I never have been able to. I destroyed my Protege one trying it. I have a cover that I modified to come off easier.

Comment

If I have to pull the covers off, they get thrown in the garbage, the most I would do is cut apart the lower piece just to get the timing marks on the engine, that's it

Both my KL Festiva and 323 are like that

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

weight reduction ftw

Comment

Meh, I'm not big on weight reduction, festiva are light enough as it is and since I like the sleeper look and I like having an interior, I'd rather just add more power :evil4:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Timing belt covers are the devil. I toss em too. Started when my neon decided to spit out its cam seal and grind up its engine one morning. Never again will I put one back on.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

He probably wants at least the lower cover, racing in the mud and all.

The B3 pulleys aren't hard to remove....with an air gun!
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Yeah, didn't have an air gun... had to take off the starter motor and shove a screwdriver in there to quit it from turning... this is all after I took the wheel off, the splash guard. the air filter, water pump pulley... well you get the idea. All done now... just gotta see if I got all the pieces of the puzzle to put back together.

Car #789
                Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

I take it you don't have the removable type crank pulleys with the four bolts and two screws (pre '93).

Comment

My two cents....throw it away, even on a Rally Festiva. I drive gravel roads everyday without one. I've been wheelin' the Samuria for 10 years without one.

No problems what so ever.
                    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                      I take it you don't have the removable type crank pulleys with the four bolts and two screws (pre '93).
                      dude even if you took off the 4 bolts and 2 screws(where's these screws anyway) wouldn't you still have to take the crank bolt out to get the pulley off?
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I can take the uppers off without removing the water pump pulley... it's not really that hard?

Comment

For the lowers, it's a bit of a PITA the first time, but if you cut a notch out of the back of it so it can slide over the crank snout, it'll be an easy job next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X