'89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Nothing so far, but maybe an auto aspire setup would work. This is a big maybe, I've never tried it, it's totally different. Anyone else try this?
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

My first auto was the white '90L-Plus that is now a B6/E-series (later sold to Sparky). It was a pretty good car overall, even with the ATX. Never got over 30MPG in it though.

The next was the '88LX I converted to auto. It ran decently, but never had a lot of power, blamed mostly on the engine. Later on I rebuilt the engine and sold it to my sister, who enjoyed manually downshifting to second everytime she went up a hill, whether it was necessary or not (we have lots of hills around here). Now its sitting in their driveway waiting for me to have time to work on it, Trans seems stuck in first no matter where the shifter is (even though the entire linkage is working properly). If you put it in park and try to rev it ends up stalling like you are in 1st holding down both the gas and the brake. Same thing in reverse. And of the forward gears you have 1st and thats it. One of these days I'll get around to it though.

My last and favorite of the Autos, and the only festiva my wife and I currently own, is a '93GL named Green Car. Interior and exterior are quite rough, its clean, just very beat up. Got it with an Aspire motor installed that had overheated and broken a couple of rings/lands. After a rebuild it runs great, high has been 35.8, average is around 32, all mountain driving and all unadjusted for the 155/80R13s that have been on it since I put it on the road. Still itching for that 4th gear though, and fortunately I still have a G4L-HA in the basement just waiting for its time to shine. Maybe after I rip the trans out of Green Car to put in my sister's car
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

With the B3 the best I got was 36. With the EGT engine it is 27.
          91 Festiva, BP, auto
          69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 428 SCJ, 4 spd

Comment

Beautiful swap! How do you like the egt with the festiva 3 speed auto? I've been leaning towards doing that.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Average 36mpg on our 90GL regardless how it's driven it seems. Don't drive it much with the front end issues it has. If I ever get it figured out going to drop a 97 Aspire engine/trans.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

New automatic mounts found

My 90 L Plus has a broken rear mount. I would like to replace it, but they are discontinued and NLA. Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison to see the difference? I know they are very close in appearance. I was wondering about modifying a manual mount. Brand new for manual are $12. I did search World Wide Web and found 5 available new rear AUTOMATIC trans mounts for the Festivas. $124 plus $30 international shipping.
                '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                  $124 plus $30 international shipping.
                  Ahem. Youch! I have the same problem on mine, but for a mount..
                  White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                  White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                  1988 LX 5-speed
                  ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                    Ahem. Youch! I have the same problem on mine, but for a mount..
                    And here I have taken 2 auto Aspires and 1 auto Festy to the scrapyard during the past 2 years not realizing that rear mounts were desirable. None of those cars were hi-milers either.

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                      My 90 L Plus has a broken rear mount. I would like to replace it, but they are discontinued and NLA. Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison to see the difference? I know they are very close in appearance. I was wondering about modifying a manual mount. Brand new for manual are $12. I did search World Wide Web and found 5 available new rear AUTOMATIC trans mounts for the Festivas. $124 plus $30 international shipping.
                      I was able to make a manual mount fit with very primitive tools and lots of appropriate language. If I had to do it again I would have a saw of some sort, a 1/4" strip of steel and a welder handy. I had a welder on hand, but no gas in the bottle and Rosie was my only car that was drivable at the time. I just spread the mount with two crescent wrenches and opened up the non threaded holes a bit with a file. It fit, it works, I know what to expect the next time.

Comment

Thank you. That is just what I needed to hear! I have the tools, but I depend on the car daily and want to limit down time. I've got two manual ordered and on the way now. One will go in the auto car with some modding.
                        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.

Comment

I cut one side off, moved it over a quarter inch and rewelded it. Careful not to burn up too much of the rubber.
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

new mounts do wonders for these cars. When I got Rosie she felt like she was on her last leg. Replaced a leaky intake pipe, tranny mounts and the radiator and fan and spark plugs and she drives very nice now and always gets me where I need to go. Still have a lot to fix on her, but with time she'll be better than new.

Comment

Seems appropriate that I should revive this thread about automatic Festivas while I'm in the process of a complete remodel of my "Rosie".
                              I can't seem to figure out how to remove the selector lever from the selector assembly base so that I can install new bushings.
                              The guide pin which is pushed down when your press the button on the side of the shifter is preventing me from pulling it all the way.
                              I searched the forum and the manual to try to get an answer but so far I've had not luck.
                              Here is a picture showing how far I can get it out.. not enough to even put a new bushing in on one side. Anyone have an answer?

Comment

WoW!
                                haven't done this one yet, if you remove the handle and button assembly completely from the shift lever, will it come out then?
                                No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                                X