Why spend $500? Because racecar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why spend $500? Because racecar.

Okay, it's not a Festiva - and we don't need more cars - but we found this two days ago, and had to buy it.

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 5-speed. It was raced for a total of 17 years (1990-2007), and was retired to street duty after that. Sadly, that's 5 years in Chicago, so it does have rust now.. hole in the floorboard, rust on the rockers. But the frame is in good shape, trans/clutch/engine good. The engine cranks out about 90-93HP (per PO), and I'd guess a maximum weight of 1500lbs.

It came with a spare transmission, aluminum racing seat, aftermarket gauges, Edelbrock carb and accessories, full racing-style harness belt, upgraded wheels, struts, who knows what else. It has a 3 cylinder Suzuki engine with a racing cam.

It made the 250 mile trip home with no issues, though it's got a grinding/squeaking noise up front (started as of an hour ago..), and we nursed it home to a shop. Though thinking twice about it, I'll see if my neighbor can help me tow it home.

The engine itself was only put in 25k ago. The story is the prior engine had a bad gasket that required taking the engine out, and there was an identical engine already sitting on the shelf, so they just dropped it on in. Evidently a new engine..

Problems I know about - other than the grinding - are the two bald front tires, and needs an alignment (fresh front axles within the last few thousand, never aligned). Gas gauge and speedo don't work, but I'll see if I can atleast remedy the speedo.. or get a GPS. :p

Managed ATLEAST 40MPG on the way home. The car sounds like it has glasspacks. It has that beautiful 60's muscle car *rumb-bub-bub-bub* kinda noise. No emissions stuff on the car whatsoever, no vacuum lines, no cat.

So anyway.. was sure an interesting trip. Never want to drive in Chicago again! :nono:

Here's a few more pictures of the car, roll cage, and racing seat (which he removed for us, as we're both too big to fit in it - it's tiiiny).

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

But all in all - this car moves out! We had it to 75 on the highway, and the RPMs weren't high enough to put it into 5th. I'd love to find out what the top speed is..
    Last edited by Spike; 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

That's pretty awesome. A Sprint just showed up on my local Craigslist. I didn't look like a runner though.
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I can see you and your mom racing around town right now!
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

LOL. I know that car. It used to race with MCSCC against my festiva racecar (ITD). I dont remember the details because its been a while. There was a group of guys from Madd Matts that had a few cars. The Sprint and some big v8 muscle car from what i remember.

Comment

^That is awesome!

The PO told me Madd Matt had the world's fastest Street-Legal Chevelle when he died, and that this Sprint was their 'old reliable' to keep their licenses and such.

I was searching daGoogle and also found his '65 Corvair (same paint scheme! ) for sale for $10,500.
          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

My favorite car and shop for 3 cylinder performance.

1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out when I want MORE POWER.
              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

My initial entry into ice racing, was in fact, with a 1986 chevy sprint. It was the carbed 3 cylinder version though (not the coveted turbocharged version). As it turned out, although I could "out corner" just about everyone, It just wasn't enough enough power against all the other fuel injected cars everywhere else on the courses. Eventually that car evolved into/from the geo metro (3 cyl carb) into the chevy metro (4 cyl fuel injected) which put out a claimed 72 hp compared to our 62 hp festies and aspires.
                To this day I'm still running an Exedy suzuki swift turbo clutch in my turbocharged b6 equiped aspire, and it has never let me down.
                Did get my stepdaughter and nephew started racing in that thing, so there's a lot of fond memories for me with that old chevy sprint. Enjoy it
                Last edited by iceracerdude; 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

OH I'M JELLY!!!!
                  '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                    Did get my stepdaughter and nephew started racing in that thing, so there's a lot of fond memories for me with that old chevy sprint. Enjoy it
                    I really hope to make some memories of my own. Literally been my dream since I was born to own a race car (of course, who doesn't??), but never thought it'd happen, or this early.

Are you saying you put a 4cyl into the 1986, or switched out the car for an 89+ Chevy Sprint/Geo Metro? We owned a '92 Metro for a while, kept going and going and going until boom. Timing belt. We're more careful now, of course. This Sprint even has a shiny new timing belt.

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
                    OH I'M JELLY!!!!
                    I just want your wheels please.
                    Last edited by Spike; 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM.
                    1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

No, I was saying eventually they phazed out that 3 cylinder carb, for the 4 cylinder fuel injected version that we now know as the chevy metro that put out a claimed 72 hp.
                      I think the carb version should have been kept as an engine option, but fuel injected instead, that would have increased both it's power AND mileage, satisfying the hypermilers.
                      Then offer the 1.3 liter in it's present form for the more performance oriented crowd.
                      I gave that sprint away to a scrapper I know in my neighborhood for some favors he had done for me earlier.
                      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Ahhh. Gotcha.

I was on the fence for which you meant. :p Kind of like how the Festiva needed a 1.6 option. Oh, to go back in time and kick the designers in the pants.
                        1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

NICE!

. . . are you selling the seat?. . .

Comment

Yes, I'm wayyyy too fat to fit in it.

Although... I have no idea what it would be worth, nor how I would ship it. I've only had this car for 4 days.

I'll get a few pictures of the seat when I get it back from the shop (it's still in the back of the car), as I've bugged him a bit too much already. Hopefully only 2 or so days.. He's supposed to see what's wrong on Tuesday or Wednesday.

EDIT: I will PM you about it once I get the car back here. Feel free to send me one, too.
                            Last edited by Spike; 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM.
                            1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
                            X