Hatch Vent Things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch Vent Things?

What are these and what do they do? I totally butchered the one on the drivers side thinking it could just be pulled out. I was trying to push the wiring down the side for my new hatch a couple weekends ago and I figure it was hitting that...I thought it could be pulled out and put back in, but when trying to get it out I butchered it pretty bad so then I just tore it to pieces to get it out of the way. I'm guessing I need to at least do some work to prevent water from entering that area, but I was just curious what these things did and how important they are?
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

good question maybe it has something to do with creating a vacuum seal for when opening and shutting the door.
    2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 (Wifes)
    2002 Ford Excursion (Family Mobile)
    1988 Ford Festiva LX (Mine)

Comment

I didn't realize how deep it went when I was trying to pull it out. It would appear to be routed all the way up the side pillar there. I'll have to get pictures of how bad I butchered the drivers side...haha. Right now I just have it taped up so no water can get in.
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

I believe it's the flapper valve so you can close the doors with the windows up, and not have it leak.
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I got one out on Aqua. You can reach up there inside the C pillar to help remove it, IIRC. Gotta take your interior plastic out though.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I was kinda thinking they were vents to let moisture out from the roof and pillars, but I don't really know. Easy way to test the door slamming theory is to tape them over and then try to slam a door.

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post

What are these and what do they do?
              Good question! I have wondered about those also.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

My 2 ¢. Wouldn't they just be a vent to allow air from the HVAC to pass thru the car while the windoze are up. Like a pressure relief-- when the cars were new of course. LOL

Comment

^ yes. that's all they're there for and there is no valving whatsoever.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I didn't realize how deep it went when I was trying to pull it out. It would appear to be routed all the way up the side pillar there. I'll have to get pictures of how bad I butchered the drivers side...haha. Right now I just have it taped up so no water can get in.
                    I have the vent plastic out and in one piece, cleaned and will deliver to you at the Oct 6 meet. Heck we will pop it in at the meet.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Great news man! Glad it can be replaced! I was worried!
                      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Vent

Great news man! Glad it can be replaced! I was worried!
                        We are talking about Festivas, there's nothing on these cars that can't be fixed or replaced. Glad i could help.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                          We are talking about Festivas, there's nothing on these cars that can't be fixed or replaced. Glad i could help.
                          :thumbleft:
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                          X