"New" Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Festiva

I've been lurking a lot lately and this is my first post, but I've just bought a "new" 1988 Festiva L that has been sitting in a shed since 1995 and only has 67k! It had quite the layer of dust/pollen/dirt that collected over the past 17 years, but a day of steady rain and a quick wash cleaned it up fairly decent (will post a clean picture soon) The old lady that owned it paid $5,959.23 for it back in May 1988 (found the dealership purchase receipt in the dash!). Car is the absolute base with no options. AM radio, 4spd, manual steering, one side mirror, etc.
    The little old lady parked it in '95 and died in '97 and it didn't move until I had it towed last Saturday. She picked up cans daily and the poke-sticks she used to stab cans are still in the floor/hatch, along with quite a bit of yarn and a blanket she knitted. The carpet/back seat is dirty from all the cans that she hauled to-and-from the recycling center, but I plan to pull out the seats & carpet and clean them thoroughly. It will run for 4-5 seconds at at time, but the carb. needs to be rebuilt. Luckily, a co-worker of my brother just happens to have a festy carb that was rebuilt but never installed that he is going to sell me for the price of a rebuild kit! This little car seems to be in good shape and doesn't seem to need much to get back on the road. I plan to change ALL fluids before trying to start it again. And get new tires & brakes before doing more than test drives around the yard.

Wow...welcome to the site....awesome find. To bad you do not have it ready for Madness this weekend. Or maybe you do....lol.
    Looks to be in great shape and low miles. Why did she park it? Just got old or sickly?

Drain the old gas out before trying to start it again. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Nice find! Welcome aboard.
      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Oh yeah!!!!

I'd see if you could save the blanket she knitted and keep it with the car somehow.

Great find! Can't wait to see the cleaned up pics.

Do you know about Festiva Madness Six?

Oh, and WELCOME! Even if you can't get her ready for Madness, maybe you could come anyway. It'd be a great way to get ideas for your build!

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Great find! With some elbow grease inside and out that thing should shiny up real good. The good think about gross looking cars like that is that they can usually be had cheap and fixed up even cheaper!
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Now THAT is a barn find! Welcome to the forum! ANOTHER Festiva in NC.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

ePIC BARN FIND!
              Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

The lady went to a nursing home in late 1995 and when she died, a guy down the road from me inherited her estate. He sold it to me for $200 + $60 in Title transfer fees!

Drain the old gas out before trying to start it again
                Before I purchased it, the guy who inherited it let me make sure the engine wasn't seized. I pulled the plugs, put MMO in the cylinders, and opened the tank to check for bad gas before trying to start it. The tank had maybe a quart of old gas (the rest had probably been siphoned out years ago, and I have since added 4-5 gal of fresh gas.

The interior was FULL of birdseed and mice poop. The left rear window had been open that allowed birds/mice to come and go as they pleased. I've vacuumed it out and will pull out the heater core & fan to make sure there isn't a nest in the system.

Clean Pics

Comment

Best looking tan interior I've seen, possibly ever.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                  1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                  1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                  1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                  1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                  1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                  1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Wow you got a deal there! It cleaned up real nice, plus I'm a sucker for white festivas.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Standing still for 18 years.
                      Orange lettering!
                      No rips or tears on the driver's seat.
                      Simply amazing.

Comment

Man did it ever clean up nice. Get some NU-Finish and make it shine....stuff works great. Interior is like new in that thing.

ps...third pic...you missed a spot, bottom of inner door frame along the length of the door....hahaha
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Wow that cleaned up beautifully! And it's a carby with orange letters!!!!!
                          I wish my Festiva was a carby with orange letters!

Comment

Wow...what a deal for 260 bucks!!!
                            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                            Random Festiva Parts
                            Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I definitely stole it for the price and given condition! It will be the second vehicle I've owned that was: white, from the 1980's, sat for an extended amount of time, was inherited by someone who had no use for it, and was purchased for less than $300.
                              Had a 1984 S-10 2.8-v6 auto that I got for $100 (Insurance paid $1500 for it when a guy rear-ended me). Hopefully this festy will not meet the same fate.

Comment

Working...
                              X