Jeep Continuously Variable Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Continuously Variable Automatic

I am looking at getting a newer Jeep SUV and I ran across a transmission option - Continuously Variable Automatic. I did some searches for reviews on it and they were not very good. Does anyone have any "hands on" experience driving with one of those transmissions for longer than a demo drive? What did you think of it?
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

CVTs suck.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ bingo.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The ones in the Ford world had doubts about the new tech and cost, Ford nolonger runs CVT any any new vehicle as far as I am aware.
        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

The Dutch invented these about 50 years ago. DAF (Dutch Aaningwagen (Trailer) Fabriek) sold a gutless little RWD econobox called the 'Dafodil' during the 60s with a continuously variable automatic transmission. It was novel and convenient for housewives and non-performance folks but one of the 'big boys' inherited it up via buyouts of Volvo or Saab or some such, who had picked up DAF when it foundered years ago.
          Realize that it is an automatic tranny and that choosing rpms upon demand, by my thinking, is even harder/slower with something like this. Remember this car drives you, you don't drive it.

Comment

I drive a 2012 Jeep Patriot for work (40-100miles a day)... it's terrible. It's one of the worst vehicles I've ever had the displeasure of driving...

Notable points:
            -Way too peppy off the line, seems like a spring loaded throttle. Too touchy
            -Lots off the line, but once you're moving there's no power... trans is *very* sluggish to respond to call for power
            -Deceleration is unpredictable. Sometimes the car will coast fine, others it'll cut fuel to engine brake but it's never consistent and really screws with me

TL;DR: JUNK
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I had a Dodge Caliber SXT? I think it was an SXT. Either way, it had the CVT. Let me put it like this: I sold it to CarMax two months later.

CVT is HORRIBLE! Punch the throttle, and the car would sit there, and then moderately accellerate, then blast to 6K RPM. IF you had to get out of the way of a train, you'd be better off jumping out of the car! Take my advise and walk away.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

My girlfriend has a CVT in her Nissan Juke and it is pretty peppy and gets up to speed pretty quickly. The turbo could have something to do with that though. It has a "sport" mode that makes it fake like it is shifting, but you can tell it's bs.
                89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. When I read the description of the CVT, I thought it was probably like having a snowmobile clutch in a car. Rocketman, could you get a regular automatic in your Patriot or is the CVT the only automatic option? I really like my '94 Cherokee Sport, but the road salt has taken a toll on the floor. I replaced a section about 6" wide the whole length of the car on both sides, but now it's starting to go again along with other areas. I hate to get rid of it. It's like a Festiva and seems like it would run forever if the stupid body didn't fall off.
                  You gonna race that thing?
                  http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I know it's not quite the same but the C-max has an eCVT which uses two electric motors to vary the ratio of a single planetary gear set.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                      Thanks for all the input guys. When I read the description of the CVT, I thought it was probably like having a snowmobile clutch in a car. Rocketman, could you get a regular automatic in your Patriot or is the CVT the only automatic option? I really like my '94 Cherokee Sport, but the road salt has taken a toll on the floor. I replaced a section about 6" wide the whole length of the car on both sides, but now it's starting to go again along with other areas. I hate to get rid of it. It's like a Festiva and seems like it would run forever if the stupid body didn't fall off.
                      My wife's got one in her 2012 Outback and it seems to do fine. The thing gets 30 MPG overall, accelerates up to speed fine, isn't jerky or anything.

It's not sporty at all and sounds like a big scooter, which is why some people don't like them, but from a practical standpoint, just hauling you up and down the road, it works great.

Lannis

Comment

^ this. For basic transport, and if you're not an enthusiast, they're fine. And Subaru has been using them for years. I believe the Justy had one way back when. I'm thinking that the manufacturers have finally figured out how to make them reliable, because just a few years ago, they weren't. GM had one in the Saturn Vue, and it was a hot mess; the failure rate was incredible.
                        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                        Mark S.

Comment

I think there the worst trans ever made.not a fan at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                            I had a Dodge Caliber SXT? I think it was an SXT. Either way, it had the CVT. Let me put it like this: I sold it to CarMax two months later.

CVT is HORRIBLE! Punch the throttle, and the car would sit there, and then moderately accellerate, then blast to 6K RPM. IF you had to get out of the way of a train, you'd be better off jumping out of the car! Take my advise and walk away.
                            that kind of makes me glad we bought the 5 speed in our caliber
                            1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Working...
                            X