• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score 2 for Festiva / 0 for Nissan

I vaguely remember saying it, but my wife remembers it vividly and
    has repeated it to everyone...the words out of my mouth just before
    we smashed into the Nissan... "Oh my poor car!"

Had an accident in my Aqua Festiva yesterday at 3:00PM.
    I hit a 2002 Nissan Altima broadside at it's right rear wheel as
    it proceeded to pull out from a stop sign directly in front of me.
    I was only going about 25 mph and immediately hit the brakes
    but there was not enough distance for the Festiva to stop in time.

The Altima spun around and it's left rear hit a 2005 Nissan Maxima
    that was stopped at the opposing stop sign.

Both the right rear and left rear of the Altima were smashed and
    the left front bumper and fender of the Maxima were smashed.
    The Altima's right rear axle was bent and the Maxima's left tie
    rod was broke.

Even though the Festivas front bumper was smashed, hood bent,
    left parking light broken, left fender dented, AC hose broken off
    at the compressor, my radiator remained intact. I had the only
    car that was in road worthy condition. I was able to drive away.

My wife has bruises from her seat belt, some neck pain and general
    discomfort today, but I appear to be OK for now...

The lady driving the Altima was charged with causing the accident and her
    insurance will be responsible.

As long as "my poor car" and Oh...on second thought "my poor wife" are
    soon back in perfect condition, I'll be happy.

From personal experience, those Festiva seat belts and bumpers do work
    pretty well.

Glad to hear no-one was seriously hurt.

Sent from somewhere west of here!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I'm glad you're okay! I was about to say that we hadn't spoken in a while, but this is not how I had hoped to mention it!
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Hopefully they'll fix you up instead of totaling the car. Glad you and the wife are (mostly) unhurt.
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Hope you heal from your bruise the wife left hahaha
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

sorry to say they will total it unless they are completely different in SC on the insurance laws. But you may be able to buy it back and get a salvage title. Do not let them slide on the injuries either. Wish you the best but I am not very optimistic on the car getting fixed.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I can actually input some legitimate knowledge here. In SC, you get market value for your car, i.e., what the cars are going for in auto lots.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                I can actually input some legitimate knowledge here. In SC, you get market value for your car, i.e., what the cars are going for in auto lots.
                right....so if it is worth $1,000 and the damage is $2,000...then they total it and you get $1,000
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's how it works in most states..
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts
                  Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    right....so if it is worth $1,000 and the damage is $2,000...then they total it and you get $1,000
                    Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                    BUT...in the state of Ohio...they look at prior damage first and if that adds up enough to total the car...then they do...and do not even get into the damage that was caused by the idiot that hit you or pulled out in front of you.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Make sure the unibody wasn't tweaked at all, that could make it very difficult to get it back to it's previous condition
                      Owner of:
                      1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                      In progress:
                      BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

NO! Not a wrecked Festy!

Glad everyone is OK though....
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Nice to hear everyone is okay. Mine was totaled for a small dent in the door, because the parts are obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                            Nice to hear everyone is okay. Mine was totaled for a small dent in the door, because the parts are obsolete.
                            Thanks... Hope you were able to buy yours back after the total.

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                            NO! Not a wrecked Festy!

Glad everyone is OK though....
                            Thanks....This wrecked Festy will definitely stay on the road one way or the other.

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
                            Make sure the unibody wasn't tweaked at all, that could make it very difficult to get it back to it's previous condition
                            Doesn't appear to be any unibody damage. It still drive straight and true.

BUT...in the state of Ohio...they look at prior damage first and if that adds up enough to total the car...then they do...and do not even get into the damage that was caused by the idiot that hit you or pulled out in front of you.
                            Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                            Prior damage is a little dent above the right rear wheel well..don't see how they could consider that.

I will let everyone know how it all comes out. The more Festivas staying on the road the better.

sorry to say they will total it unless they are completely different in SC on the insurance laws. But you may be able to buy it back and get a salvage title. Do not let them slide on the injuries either. Wish you the best but I am not very optimistic on the car getting fixed.
                            We definitely will wait the full time allowed by law before we sign a release on the personal injury liability. Hopefully only the seat belt bruising and soreness that will heal quickly. Hope they agree to repair it, but if they do total it, I definitely plan to buy it back.

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                            Hope you heal from your bruise the wife left hahaha
                            We're having fun with it.
                            We've been married 43 years and she's a quick study. She learned about
                            men and their cars about 42 years ago. I honestly did not realize that I had said "Oh my poor car" out loud. I told Maureen after the accident that I was thinking it as we were about to hit and she told me that I had actually said it out loud. We just laugh about it together and she has fun telling every one about it.

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
                            Hopefully they'll fix you up instead of totaling the car. Glad you and the wife are (mostly) unhurt.
                            I'm hoping they agree to repair it too. Finally talked to a claims rep this afternoon and I pick up my rental in the morning. I told the rep that I wanted the car repaired and not totaled and she put a note on the claim about my wishes. She said they use a computer program that makes the decisions based on the information input and there was not much leeway. An adjuster is supposed to call me and set up at time for him to come look at the car at my house. She said, based on what he found regarding the overall condition of the car, that he could add additional information that could possibly raise the resale value to a point where they may not have to total it. I just finished putting on a new tail pipe and exhaust last Saturday. It also has new tires, steering rack and front suspension replaced within the last year, the new engine that I put in now has only about 60,000 miles on it. It's not quite as shiny as it is in the pictures that I posted from 2007, but it's still in great shape. So we shall see.

I'm glad you're okay! I was about to say that we hadn't spoken in a while, but this is not how I had hoped to mention it!
                            Thanks.... No...I've not been on the forum much this Spring and Summer.
                            Injured my left hip by running a buffer with a sanding pad on it for 4 hours straight a few weeks ago..was helping my son grind the adhesive off of his concrete porch where carpet had been glued to it. That's slowing me down so I will probably be on the forum more this Fall and Winter. Have an appointment with an orthopedist next week. Hope he can make the pain go away without surgery.

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                            Glad to hear no-one was seriously hurt.

Sent from somewhere west of here!
                            Me too...my wife was feeling better today. She though about seeing a doctor about the bruises and the neck pain yesterday but she said it felt better today.

Comment

Firstly: I'm sorry to hear you got in an accident! I can't believe the Altima moved when a FESTY hit it but, dang! Glad to hear you two are alright. I think I might have said something a little more obscene but everybody's different hahaha.

Now this:
                              Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                              I told the rep that I wanted the car repaired and not totaled and she put a note on the claim about my wishes. She said they use a computer program that makes the decisions based on the information input and there was not much leeway. An adjuster is supposed to call me and set up at time for him to come look at the car at my house. She said, based on what he found regarding the overall condition of the car, that he could add additional information that could possibly raise the resale value to a point where they may not have to total it.
                              ... makes me feel better. I don't know how much you all value your cars but they're quickly becoming extinct. There's nothing like a Festiva out there. I call it my road legal go kart, others might call it a collector's car at this point. They're more valuable than "fair market price" lists them. Proving to the insurance adjuster the value of the car is closer to fair than an immediate markup to 'totaled'. Where else can you get bulletproof reliability and fuel economy for such a low cost?

Hope everything turns out alright
                              -Zack
                              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                              X