Little camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little camper

So my first festiva died and I parted it out and such (still has salvagable parts) the cars all ready for junking. Buuuut om having a hard time letting it go so just a yhought id like opinion on. Make a festiva camper.possibly chop it at th wind shield rip allthe under guts out and such idk thats y od like opinions lol.
    ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

92 silver 5spd with some boost! Kratos

festiva trailer.cut back at seats and cut under rear widow. Make a little trailer.
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

I was thinking a trailer but when I sat in the still mounted back seat and the rest of the interior was gutted I immediatly thought this would be an awesome camper hatch space for storage a "couch" room for 2 to sleep.
      ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

Re: Little camper

You're not the only one! Marinepolice03 is working on one.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

May need to get in touch with him because alot of things seem like a great idea in my head but they seldom are lol
          ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

They do this in Europe with other compact cars. They call camping trailers and camping in general caravan, caravaning...

If you google "compact caravan diy" you get some junk, some working products, some working junk.

As usual in UK they get taxed on everything with tires so I guess someone found a loophole, and/or they are also taxed on weight. It also wouldn't surprise me that taxes on trailers might be higher than a car, so they leave the car that is cut in half registered LOL.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I was going to take my parts car and flipped it around backwards and turn it into a Festiva Teardrop. use the underhood area as a pantry/kitchen, blackout the windows and put a mattress inside. Lower it, maybe slight roof chop to help keep it out of the wind stream. I was going to keep 4 wheels under and just tow it using a tow bar style set up, to keep tongue weight low and not have to worry about jack stands. make some trailer brakes for it and you should be able to tow it safely and halfway efficiently behind a stock festiva. Unfortunately I sold the parts car and the driver, now looking for another driver.

Comment

I've made one. It's a little tricky, but not to hard for anyone with any fabrication skills. There are pics of it on here somewhere. It tows amazing. I would be leary on cutting at the firewall, as it would have a very heavy tounge weight.
                Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I thought of the tongue wieght and was thinking a possible double axle set up. Wher was yours cut?
                  ReD 91 L FIRSTiva

Comment

Why use the car at all? Anybody who knows how to do fiberglass could have a great time using the body as a mould. All you would have to do is clay over the windows and rain gutters, tape up the hood and doors, and cover it in fiberglass. My idea was to take two back end copies of the Festy and glass them together. Then move the fenders to the middle and finish it off with the nice dip that is normally in between the fenders, only this would be on either side of the single fender. I'll post a horrible picture later.
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I want to do it with a chop at the firewall, but beef up the rear suspension on my towing Festy. Does anybody here know what the tongue weight for that would be and whether "coil overs" or whatever on the towing vehicle would accomodate that? Obviously, I'd only be towing the trailer when I'm solo in the front vehicle.

I want the whole thing to fit into a stardard 20' or so parking space, even if that means coming up with some way of "tromboning" the tow hitch so it can shrink to 20' length when aligned staight ahead but extend when driving to facilitate turning, perhaps even NOT extending for better aerodynamics when driving long distances on freeways.

See this idea from Switzerland for reference:

Click on the upper row of pictures to see what I mean.

Those of you in the "Land of Toll Roads" (East Coast) might have to pay based on 3-axle toll rates.

BTW, is there any reason you couldn't tow two or these? Are there limits on non-truck "doubles?" Would you need to have a CDL with a "doubles" endorsement to drive what would be all of a 3,000 or so pound "rig?"
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg
                      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

CDL is for over 65,000lbs, and you would need a doubles permit to pull them. You're probably looking at Class E and a permit to pull doubles. Very few states have provisions for doubles, as there's no real training for private motorists concerning hauling multiple trailers.

Comment

Working...
                        X