New Aspire Engines on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bert View Post
    The idea of installing a factory-new engine is certainly appealing. One thing about a car with mostly all-old parts is the cam seal lets go not long after after the water pump lets go, shortly after you've done the timing belt etc etc. One thing about whoever is selling these engines they must think there is a real market for a 15 year old B3? Nobody else uses them and Aspires are even more a novelty item than Festys. The e-buyer likely picked them up for the price of scrap. I would think if 'we' all wait until the price drops down to something like $400-500 then the engines will move, and we won't be sitting around arguing about the cost.
    By the way are these pre-OBDII engines or are they newer and require swapping over all kinds of Festy parts?
    If the year that was stated is right then it is OBDII

Comment

Thanks for all the great information that my question generated..

Thanks everyone for all the great responses about the Aspire to Festiva engine swap.
      I called AAAA Automotive today about these engines. Quoted delivery Texas to SC was about $190. Engines are delivered as pictured.
      Said they also had a long block Festiva engine for $895 (up to early '92 with the smaller crank snout.)
      They do have several of the Aspire engines so the comment about them dropping the price sooner or later is likely to come to pass.

Comment

$ 1200

lets see cost to rebuid at 1.3 correcly ( proper machine work and replace all wear parts) replace all the injections, alternator, related senors and miss stuff this engine comes with i would consider it a deal.
        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

For someone with a low miles Festiva or Aspire with a trashed engine, these sound like a good deal, with some real peace of mind and a lot less work than rebuilding one. However, most of us are comfortable with finding low miles engines or rebuilding, not to mention the ever popular swapping to a larger engine.

Now if there were new crate B6s, B8s or BPs, I'd be buying new for $1200 to $1400!

I just noticed that the engine is complete with intake and exhaust manifolds, plus a new flexplate! I consider this a great deal, especially for someone with a really clean body and engine bay who wants to look and run the best with minimal work. Probably would want to change the seals to fresh ones.

Win/win/win!

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I probably have close to $800 in my B6 rebuild, if I were to add up all the parts, machine work and misc. supplies. That's with just honing the block and polishing the crank. I'm still left with a used head with worn cam journals, used valve train, less than perfect clearances, etc.. There is no way you could get everything back to factory spec and new for even close to $1200. Especially if you had to pay someone else for labor. A 100% new engine for $1200 is a good deal. You can't compare slapping new rings, bearings and gaskets into a used motor to a new crate motor. Bore, deck and align hone the block, grind the crank, fully recondition the rods, new pistons, oil pump, rings, bearings, gaskets, all new bolts on everything, have the head rebuilt with new cam and valve train, etc.....you'll be well over $1200 in parts and machine work alone.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
            X