Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva ST

Hey everyone.

Recently i sold off all my other project cars, now i have only My wifes car a 2012 Kia soul, which i do nothing but drive occasionally, and my 91 Festiva L

Im writing this as both a Rant and possibly informative.

Like many i believe i dream too big for my britches. I buy and sell constantly, and never keep anything long enough to get my full enjoyment out of it. I usually buy something cheap, have my way it then sell it off. Only to realize i should have kept it and did more with it.

Where was i.

About a month ago a friend told me that Carsense, a local Used car Dealer had a 2012 Golf R on there lot. {Im a fan of Hatchbacks, and i enjoy the occasional vw}

I test drove it and man, probably the best car i've ever driven as far as balance, power, and handling are concerned. Again this is just my case.
    Id love to buy it, but it was 31K$. Thats more than i want to spend on my daily driver.

Finally my local dealer gets a few Focus ST's in. I call them up, schedule a drive and im on my way.

Positives:
    It does work as a city car. It goes from Point A to Point B Just fine.
    252hp, and 270ft lbs tq. Very impressive from a little 2.0L Turbo
    Its calm and collective at low RPM with only a hint of turbo whistle.
    From a Stand Still, it uses the computer sensors to distribute power to either wheel while using a limited slip front diff. Theres no Tq Steer, whatsoever, even when going around corners and putting your foot in it.
    The Best part about it in my opinion is the noise. It reminds me of the SRT4 engine noise. That burble fart sort of grunt noise you find in a high strung turbo engine. Although it does not feel high strung, it feels as tho its got ample power to give.

Negatives:
    I really dont fit in the seats, the side bolsters are too tight for a person of my.....Generousness Proportions. 6' 230lbs. Not muscle lol
    Because the car doesn't let the wheels loose, or pull you in a torque steer manner it feels slower for some reason. Almost the same feeling as a big suv with 400hp. Sure its got power, but you just don't notice it as much.

Because of the car feeling rather slow, it set me off. When i drove the Golf R, it has that turbo that's just a little bigger than the engine its attached to.
    Example: Golf R, small 2 liter, with moderate Turbo, so it has that freight train pull that those cars normally do. The power just Builds and Builds.
    : Focus ST, Small 2 liter, with Small Turbo, Very well matched for each other, but no pull like in the Golf. It just gives you all the power right from the get go. Almost like there's no Turbo Lag, which is probably better in the long run, just not the feeling i'm looking for.

Also the Focus ST is 3150 lbs. I'm so used to the way my festiva feels light weight and all that i'm lacking something in a heavier car.

I suppose this brings me to my Closer final point.

Also i'm sure some of you. Eurotiva, Damkid, and all you other fantastic lunatics. Have thought about putting the ST motor into the festiva. Think about it.

Small 2.0 Turbo motor, into our light weight bodys.

I took some pics to help with my cause.

Heres the Front seats, that i don't fit that well into.

Heres my Crappy Stock Seats

Heres the back seats i would have used to haul around my son in, but hes not born yet, another 4 weeks to go.

And heres my crappy Back seat

The boot has plenty of space, which i was surprised with

But heres the meat and potatoes

too bad its all covered by the plastic bits.

And heres what id like to put it in.

Im sure Greg will chime in with just do it, or give up you'll never accomplish this. Or something along those lines because hes a fabrication Genius and he gets S done. But here's what i have come up with.

No dimensions, lol i have taken or found no dimensions of the ST engine.
    I'm wondering how the computer will react not being in the car of its original design, such as all the wheel sensors in the ST, I know i will basically need to use the majority of the front clip from a St to graft into the festiva. This means using all the Suspension/steering/wheels/transmission/axles and so on from the ST. As many people say, its just Time/Money. But i wonder how many others have thought of this, and what they've uncovered while looking into it.

Overall, The thought of a 1700lb Festiva, with 252hp, and 270ft lbs of tq, Using the Stock ST 6 speed and the reliable Stock 2.0 Direct Injected Ford motor sounds wonderful. This means the engine makes tons of power, all in stock design. So wear and tear should be on the low side. Unless you crave more boosted power....

I know anything can be done, but finding a donor car with so little of them on the road will be difficult.

I guess that's all i have to say about that. Chime in anyone that likes. Id like to see you view on it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ps... Just about every dealer in the ford lot came out to look at my festiva. All of them asking if i was trading it in and if id be willing to sell it. NOPE!! One dealer was telling me about how he used to sell them when they were new. Hopefully he likes being a dealer, because he's been doing it for a very long time.
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Sounds like a really good idea, if you've got money to burn and like to solve space and technology problems with endless fabrication tricks.

If you don't have money to burn, especially with a child on the way, I'd recommend the other 101 things you could do to improve your Festiva, with money left over for a used Taurus or minivan which will haul your child around a lot more safely.

Oh, and your "crappy back seat" is usually thought of as being in pretty good looking shape to most of us.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-31-2012, 08:14 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

A ST engine will run you several thousands (3-4) , not worth it for a mere 250 hp. And im not even talking about fitment , the hours put into this , the custom axles.

No.

When you want hp , a good b6t or bpt will do the trick. if you want grip and no torque steer , you need good tires and a LSD.

Comment

Do it! I'll provide any engineering support I can. If you default half way through I call dibs on the project ( after you have purchased the engine, and at a substantial bargain of coarse).
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
          A ST engine will run you several thousands (3-4) , not worth it for a mere 250 hp. And im not even talking about fitment , the hours put into this , the custom axles.

No.

When you want hp , a good b6t or bpt will do the trick. if you want grip and no torque steer , you need good tires and a LSD.
          My car has an open diff, and doesn't spin or TQ steer any more than a stock Festiva. Ask FestyBoy, he even drove it on moist chilly roads with 165mm tires stretched on 7" rims with lots of negative camber ( not exactly a traction friendly setup). It's all about where you put the weight on the car, the rigidity of the front lower support and suspension setup.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The SHO you see in my sig has 247 whp , it stopped torque steering when I slammed on my 245/40/18 Dunlop Direzza Star spec

Comment

Yes. BP. Clean the Festy. You won't regret it.
              Last edited by DriverOne; 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Nice Idea!!! just check how much that x-mas bonus will be

Comment

Ha. What bonus. The interesting thing about fords new ecoboost is the available engines. The 1.0 turbo, 1.7 and 2.0 not to mention that monster 3.5 v6. Also the new cobrajet 5.0 twin turbo. All direct injected, from 3 cyl to v8. I like this new trend.
                  91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

would be cool to see and if your wallet can stretch for.. sure go for it.. also, if your going to set up a mad project lie this, get it recorded on video and do a writeup with pics.. this will give all honours and almost a king or god-like status.. i'd bet it would fly too.

i was also thinking about the mazda skyactiv motors as they're 1.3 and 2.0 litres also.. ever thought about that? i'm not real sure about transmissions though and could yoy simply just dump one in and go or would there be a whole heap of work needed to make this happen
                    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km
                    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

So i wake up this morning, go out and tighten my Alternator Belt. Since ive been needing to do so, and i find this out next to my car.

Lol, its like a big punch in the face to me ha.

But hopefully i can catch the owner at some point, and he or she will let me take some more pics of there car, i can get some actual measurements, and ill keep updating this.

Comment

Also to answer a few other questions.

My intentions (If i ever did anything)

Would be to graft the whole front of the car, sub frame, strut towers, axles, steering rack everything into the festiva. Only the Exterior body work would remain keeping it as stock looking as possible....At least until i go pick up my new Rims and Struts tonight. Muhahaha.

My co worker, whos an ex body shop worker/mechanic is more concerned about how my car handles. Which is why im looking at the wider tires, and lowered springs/struts. He believes ill enjoy the car much more once it can actually take a turn without falling over.

It got me thinking.

I love small cars, period. I just do, for example the Original Mini, ive been in a few and love the way they handle and react. It has basically no power, but yet handles amazing, this makes it a very fun car to drive.

If the Festiva could handle, this would also make it an incredibly fun car to daily drive.

Well thats all for now, as soon as i get some dimensions ill post them up.

Comment

Some Quick Info i just dug up about the ST, and the Festiva. I have to write this stuff down when i can cause i work long hours.

2013 Focus St Specs
                          Wheelbase: 104.3”
                          Length: 171.7”
                          Body Width: 71.8”
                          Height: 58.4”
                          Wheel Size: 18”x8.5" Wide

Festiva Specs
                          Wheelbase: 90.2”
                          Length: 140.5”
                          Width: 63.2”
                          Height: 55.3”
                          Wheel Size: 12”x 5.7"
                          Last edited by jesteratc; 11-01-2012, 08:01 AM. Reason: Added Tire Width

Comment

My car makes close to those numbers, is reliable, has AC, no torque steer, etc.....

And i have less than the down payment on either one of those great cars listed. Just buy mine
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

We Talked about this Greg, you said like $6k. thats a wee bit too much. I would settle for a BP Turbo in my car and id pay you $2k. Considering my parents live like 10 miles from you now, id drive my car down, hand you a stack of hundreds, hang out with them for a bit, then come back and pick up my car and drive it home.

Comment

Working...
                              X