Drawback/fun thing about carby cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawback/fun thing about carby cars.

When I am in a hurry I want to jump in my car and just go. With the carbureted Festiva you have to set the choke, knock the choke off, and then let it warm up. Unless... You set the choke, crank it up in first gear, and immediately let the clutch out. I have been idling during my short trips. It will go 29 mph in second gear with the choke on. My first trip is 1 mile one way. I can drive there without ever touching the gas pedal. Lol! it's a fun game.
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

You have a manual choke?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

No, you set the choke by hitting the gas pedal. You crank it up and it just goes. You tap it again and it knocks the choke off.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Ugh, carby's.... It's a neat story Paul but I'm not jealous of the carb :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I've messed with one once and it was a nightmare. If I had one it would have to be webered. Those vacuum hoses are a nightmare.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I went and looked at a carby the other day. I went to start it and smiled, as I remember the years of peddle pumping my old ones...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

If they work they are 100% as dependable as efi. This one is perfect. And totally stock.

Comment

Running it with the choke on puts raw gas on your cylinder walls. I try to break the choke before I drive it. Not always possible.
                Last edited by georgeb; 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  Running it with the choke on puts raw gas on your cylinder walls. I try to break the choke before I drive it. Not always possible.
                  What does putting "Raw gas" do?

Comment

The oil suffers fuel dilution , the engine runs with poor oiling, the combustion chamber warms slowly.
                    I suspect though that the anatomized " raw fuel " is not a problem as the choke plate should be opening.
                    The choke fast idle cam just holds your throttle on the second step where the vacuum cam pull left it.
                    As you mentioned the cam stays there until you release it by blipping the throttle.

I am sure you know all of that, and there is some cool factor by tuning all this with chrome tools and brass parts!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I didn't know any of that. That is part of the reason why I posted this here. Was to find out if what I was doing was bad for the car.

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                        If they work they are 100% as dependable as efi. This one is perfect. And totally stock.
                        I can totally believe that lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                          They are quirky. They clog, the secondary sticks open, vac hoses split, the choke malfunctions, they flood, they backfire and catch fire. Today I had to change the mech fuel pump on my '89 because it was dripping gas. But it was only $33 and accessable. Carbies rule!

Comment

I've only had one carby that wasn't right. I've had many.

Comment

I was looking at one that had been sitting for 5 years. It started right up and idled smoother than my DD!

Comment

Working...
                              X