Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawback/fun thing about carby cars.

In my best Homer Simpson voice. "That's unpossible!"
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

That's usually the death sentence for a Carby car.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

^^^ Uncle Fester (88L, build date 5/87) had been sitting for at least 4 years, under an oak tree, when I got him. Replaced the fuel pump that put him there, added a bit of fresh gas, and fired right up! Ran smooth, too.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I was hoping you would chime in Jim. Is there any reason I shouldn't let it run on choke for a mile?

Comment

How is your carby gas mileage?

Comment

I'm not Jim, nor do I play him on television....but,

Quote from Movin;
              "The oil suffers fuel dilution , the engine runs with poor oiling, the combustion chamber warms slowly.
              I suspect though that the anatomized " raw fuel " is not a problem as the choke plate should be opening.
              The choke fast idle cam just holds your throttle on the second step where the vacuum cam pull left it.
              As you mentioned the cam stays there until you release it by blipping the throttle."

As long as the choke is opening I would think it would be no different than the E.F.I. system enriching the mixture when cold and slowly leaning out the mix as it warms up. The choke plate does the same thing for enrichment and the high idle cam isn't released til the pedal is "blipped" after warm up.

I personally think the "poor man's cruise control" isn't gonna hurt a thing.

Just my 2¢.

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                If they work they are 100% as dependable as efi. This one is perfect. And totally stock.
                Low tech stuff but when you grow up with that feature there is a certain joy in watching the car walk through snow and all kinds of stuff while the choke is set at fast idle. Kick the peddle and suddenly it's gone. There are no pipes and hoses on my old truck but the choke lever is cam-shaped and stepped and the action is via a heat sensitive bi-metallic spring. I've liked this feature ever since I bought it used 25 years ago. I had bought a brand new V6 Ford Ranger in 85 and it had electronic controls. The fact that the computer would not let the motor stall was really impressive especially when stuck in snowbanks. You pushed and rocked with the motor running and when the truck broke free it would not rocket off down the street but rather settle right back into idle. Same went for idling up hills; engine wouldn't quit. But that novel feature stopped working after about a year and the Ford dealer told me it was $800 just to get another computer. Got rid of the electronic Ford in 89 when I discovered my neighbour was selling his no electronics non-Cat carbed 86 F150. Haven't done it yet but an honest to God manual choke is going in it very soon. The first step in any choke is fast idle and I have no objection to being entirely in charge of that.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                  How is your carby gas mileage?
                  So far I have only gotten 38. But several stock carbys have seen 48-49. One here has been massaged to 54.

Comment

Paul, for the time and distance you're running it, it's fine. Just make sure it gets regular driving as part of its life. Honestly, if the choke is adjusted properly, after about 30 seconds of warmup, you should be able to drive away normally. The choke has several steps, and will drop down as the engine warms up.

lessersivad, the big difference between EFI and carb is that the EFI system can monitor and control the fuel/air mix more precisely at cold engine temps than a carb system can. Even feedback carbs are still vacuum and temperature computers themselves, modified by an electronic computer. The range of precise control is much more narrow for a carb than an EFI system.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I'm enjoying my Carby right now. It runs smoother than my stock EFI festy, but when the engine is cold it will stumble from time to time under light acceleration. I haven't had a peek at the vacuum lines yet and I know the car needs a valve adjustment, but I'm just driving it until I get some good quality garage time. Just got the starting sequence figured out today, lol. Thanks Arty!
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post

lessersivad, the big difference between EFI and carb is that the EFI system can monitor and control the fuel/air mix more precisely at cold engine temps than a carb system can. Even feedback carbs are still vacuum and temperature computers themselves, modified by an electronic computer. The range of precise control is much more narrow for a carb than an EFI system.
                        I agree.

I was just kinda comparing the 2 different systems in regards to the fuel enrichment being a part of both systems.

Comment

Working...
                        X