Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is TOO bad?

OK... Here is where I am at:

There are exactly ZERO Festivas around me for sale, or in Junkyards. About once a month one will pop up locally and they will either want $700 for one that is destroyed, or $1500+ for one that is pretty OK.

This guy has been trying to sell this one for a few months. He can get $260 from pick'n'pull as it sits. The car received new CV axles, new lower control arms, and a new clutch within 5,000 miles of the wreck. He says the frame appears to be fine, it will tow straight, and the interior is in great shape with ZERO tears. He wants $300 for it. I can't figure out what I should do.

1. Is it fixable? I'd have to assume I'm looking at major cutting and grafting from a junkyard Festiva. However the engine, trans, etc are all good.

2. My biggest thought would be get the carand pull what I need off of it for mine. Then pull the parts that I might need in the future (CV's, control arms, seats, engine, trans) and put them in my shed. Then pull the lights and anything else that anyone on here might want from it, and sell them cheap of course, before having Pick'n'pull come take the shell away.

What do you guys think?

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Can it be driven the way it sits?
    Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Festevil3 View Post
      Can it be driven the way it sits?
      He says that it needs the middle fusible link and it will start/run as it is.

Comment

Most of us are cheapskates as either you already know or will soon discover. However goodies like headlights and tail lights are always good for $25-50 apiece and they don't take up too much space. Distributors have value because they're worth a fortune new or rebuilt. And if this thing is an 89 carb model it will unique stuff on it for similar-minded folks. If you have the room and the time to strip the car right to the ground you will be able to fit everything in a garden shed easily. I don't know whether you're in the rust belt or not but rad shrouds are all gone around here as are the exhaust manifolds and the fragile little metal tube that snakes from the water pump outlet all the way around to the back of the engine over the clutch. Thermostat housings are another hot item that folks routinely seem to crack. $300 ain't a huge risk if you can move along a bunch of parts (maybe even wheels) right off the bat. For all you know it has a new gas tank and pump in it which is already a big plus financially for you.

Comment

I think your plan is reasonable. I also think you be surprised at how easy and how far that would pull out with just a sledge hammer and a little rope, just sayin.
          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I just did LCA's and axles and parts were just about 200.00.. I say buy it, if it cannot be fixed take what you want and part/scrap it out.. I see more than 300 in parts..
            Last edited by ratorrey; 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The value of the good parts easily exceeds the price. Sell the scrap metal and a few
              parts, do what you want or need with the rest.

If you are body man trained that can be fixed but don't
              count your labor
              Last edited by Movin; 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                The value of the good parts easily exceeds the price. Sell the scrap metal and a few
                parts, do what you want or need with the rest.

If you are body man trained that can be fixed but don't
                count your labor
                Agreed here. Use the chassis as practice for body and paint skills before you scrap it. Dead cars are a great asset and utility for learning and discovering new things.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

The guy is saying that if I'm going to part it, that there is a couple of things he wants off of it for his red one. (Come on guys! I thought for sure someone would mention it in the pictures). If I can talk him down to $200-$250, I'll go get it today. If he holds strong to $300, I might have to think about it. It just reminds me of the good old days when I could get a Festiva that would last me YEARS for $200. You must also remember that the daily driver I'm driving now (given this was before a lot of work I've done, and that it belonged to my brother-in-law) only cost me $300!

Comment

In light of the scarcity issue it's worth $300. But only if you have a place to hide it!

Comment

Drive it the way it is! Go for the beater award
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

hate to say it, but that right "B" pillar is FUBAR as is the lower sill. that area that is most badly damaged is 4 layers of stamped and spotwelded steel. it WILL be a PITA to repair with straight parts cut out of a donar let alone trying to pull it out as is.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

How bad is TOO bad?

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                          In light of the scarcity issue it's worth $300. But only if you have a place to hide it!
                          Agreed, worst case it a parts car since there's none in a junkyard near you

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by TheresGabe View Post
                            The guy is saying that if I'm going to part it, that there is a couple of things he wants off of it for his red one. (Come on guys! I thought for sure someone would mention it in the pictures). If I can talk him down to $200-$250, I'll go get it today. If he holds strong to $300, I might have to think about it. It just reminds me of the good old days when I could get a Festiva that would last me YEARS for $200. You must also remember that the daily driver I'm driving now (given this was before a lot of work I've done, and that it belonged to my brother-in-law) only cost me $300!
                            "there are a couple of things he wants off it" is a classic and famous line. You just 'shot it and you just bought it' and suddenly the engine, wheels, dizzy and lamps are not part of the package. Be very careful before you go any further.

Comment

Looks better than the one I drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X