Festiva VS New Breed Micro's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva VS New Breed Micro's!

I've been reading lots of Fiat Love. And my friends have been filling me full of their thoughts on new Micro-cars. I pulled the following comparisons between: Festiva, Fiat 500, Smart 4-two, and the Scion IQ. I realize that FuelEconomy.gov tends to lower the MPG on old cars to WAY below what it actually is, so remember to take the Festiva with a grain of salt on the MPG's. We all know that a 5-speed gets better than 33mpg.

The entire world should save their money and buy Festivas!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Nice comparison. Notice that Festiva wins hands-down for interior, and luggage, space. Highly unlikely with all the safety requirements and now-standard knick-knacks that you'll ever see the likes of a Festy again despite the requirement for fleet average fuel consumption to be around 50 mpg ten years from now.

Comment

I just did my first fillup in Prettystiva, my "new" '93GL 5 speed. Got 37.5 mpg, without really trying. That's a city/highway mix of everyday going to work driving. Pretty has a bad upper engine tick, too. Not in the best of shape, but still saving serious $$$$.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Re: Festiva VS New Breed Micro's!

The tradeoff here is comfort, style and safety. Is the extra $ worth it? I'm just glad the US finally has a viable subcompact like the 500. That would make a neat used DD in the future, especially the abarth.

Looking at those MPG figures makes me miss my festy just a bit. My 328i gets 35 highway on a good day. =/ Also, I never knew the smart was RWD, pretty cool.

Sent from my Evo3D using Tapatalk 2
        BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

I'm getting around 44-46mpg in mixed driving with my 5-speed.

Wife is getting 28-32pmg in town with her auto.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Last time I checked I was getting 18mpg in my festiva

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              Last time I checked I was getting 18mpg in my festiva
              Damkid

I have a nice little stock 90 Auto that is getting 30-32, I'll trade yah...:p

Comment

Maybe you should turn the boost up a little, that's pathetic!! I am
                sure you could achieve 12mpg or better with a little work!!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Re: Festiva VS New Breed Micro's!

With what I'm paying for my TDI...I could buy 20 festivas in great shape. Would I? Probably not. There's no comparison. The mileage is very similar. But that's about it.

The fact is that I CAN afford the new car so I'm gonna take it over the old one. The comfort alone is worth it. Especially with winter around the corner.

Granted I've never had a festiva in great shape with comforts like AC. Things like heated seats and nav can be retrofitted. Even after that there's still no comparison for things like noise and safety.

The new car is an investment and I intend to make it worth it.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                    That would make a neat used DD in the future, especially the abarth.
                    Yes. Does the girl come with one?
                    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ratorrey View Post
                      Damkid

I have a nice little stock 90 Auto that is getting 30-32, I'll trade yah...:p
                      Umm no

Besides I have a stock 91' 5 speed w/AC in my garage to be the daily driver as soon as it gets a master cylinder

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        Umm no

Besides I have a stock 91' 5 speed w/AC in my garage to be the daily driver as soon as it gets a master cylinder
                        Cannot blame a guy for trying...*laughing*
                        Last edited by ratorrey; 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

The Chevy Spark with a 1.2L, 84 hp engine only gets 28-32 City and 37-38 hwy. The must be some invisible barrier - like the sound barrier was for planes - that prevents modern small cars from breaking 50 MPG. Maybe it physics, maybe politics. But no matter how small the gasoline cars currently being offered, none get near 50 MPH.

P.S. The Spark has no appeal for me. I read where Toyota and Mazda are teaming up on the Mazda 2. Building a new plant in Mexico. Hopefully, both companies' smaller cars will gain in the deal from the combined tech.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                            The Chevy Spark with a 1.2L, 84 hp engine only gets 28-32 City and 37-38 hwy. The must be some invisible barrier - like the sound barrier was for planes - that prevents modern small cars from breaking 50 MPG. Maybe it physics, maybe politics. But no matter how small the gasoline cars currently being offered, none get near 50 MPH.

P.S. The Spark has no appeal for me. I read where Toyota and Mazda are teaming up on the Mazda 2. Building a new plant in Mexico. Hopefully, both companies' smaller cars will gain in the deal from the combined tech.
                            The Spark is heavier, with wider tires and probably lower gearing than Festys, so the worse mileage isn't surprising.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

IF I was to purchase a new tiny car, the Spark has definitely caught my eye. It's a good looking little car!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                              1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                              1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                              1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                              1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                              1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                              1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X