Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The reorganized website; access to all my posts & threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reorganized website; access to all my posts & threads?

I was trying to link to one of my earlier threads, the one about stickers & Somnambulance, still my opus with fairly close to a couple thousand views from 2006; and found "recent threads and posts" though had difficulty getting the link; I was only able to do from having posted on that thread not too long ago. This makes me discouraged; if there isn't a way to find all the threads and posts I've made. Both for the technical things I may want to reference, going back to one of my earliest threads about using the automatic transmission cooler part of a brass after market radiator in my car; as part of the engine cooling system, with an adapter for a remote oil-cooler between the engine block and spin-on filter; and the literary work, too. I know I've not donated in awhile, though have once or twice to date. I'm always thinking of doing so, and won't fail in my notion: If something probably more encouraged if I were assured in this matter, I'll have continued access to all my threads & posts-and anyone else will be able to access easily as well.

Mainly I'm pretty busy mentally so forgetful in the lurch, the reason I've not donated lately even though often on my mind; like just lately trying to get up to speed with this amazing person, Seattle musician and instrument maker Alexander Eppler, I first met during '92 whose Seattle yellow pages ad as a flute maker led to our meeting, because I was seeking someone to make a replacement for a $10 flute from Cy's Secondhand in Spokane made from a piece of copper boiler pipe the same length and pitch as the standard Boehm system flutes with keys and pads in the key of C, with ten tone holes and an elegant aluminum embouchure plate also an obviously lethal weapon.[http://www.epplerflutes.com [http://www.bulgariankaval.com

World famous karate* teacher Teru Chinen one of Chuck Norris's advisers another student in the Y class told me,[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teruo_Chinen whose more informal old guys' YMCA class I was part of about a year or two earlier, a month or two where I returned my washed uniform making Teru unhappy(because someone in my neighborhood a flute maker of bamboo meditation flutes had pressured me) perhaps heard me play; a day or two before my musical proficiency had completely gelled, still feeling irksome to my ego recalling of that "Sensai" I've noticed in one Japanese/English lexicon in an used bookstore on Monroe in Spokane translates as "absolute tyranny" Wikipedia says of "literally born before another"-since I noticed Teru with a much younger woman and a youth about ten years old easy to think their son walking past me across the street on the opposite sidewalk, I made $700 with during the festive season of '91 playing on street corners in Spokane.

That initial meeting with Alexander was while living out of the '66 VW "square-back" sedan I did that with the majority of the time we were together from '82-'94; and during 2010 I returned to the same west Seattle shop for our second encounter, in the Festiva: Seeking his help he promised over the phone during '09, in repairing the tiny woodwind the thumbnail shows intact; which I spaced out and left on the roof of the Festiva locking the keys in the car getting a fail-safe spare. Leaving the parking lot of Mojo Music here in Bellingham March 7th, 2008 after the most stressful of eight round trips from Eureka, CA to Bellingham from February to June moving here, with the tiny horn in the Tupperware case secured by a bicycle toe-strap; I heard that clatter to the street down the block and knew exactly what had happened, so pulled instantly to the curb across the street from another music store on Guide-Meridian, Piper Music.

To watch helpless as a late model grey party van ran over my little horn like a beer can, easy to imagine that driver never noticed; the HUD section 8 inspector of my Eureka apartment an older gentleman John Paul Bertain, had given me an estimated value of $12,000 for. The metal mouthpiece cap protected that end of the instrument fairly well, while I was on my hands and knees picking pieces of the Bundy Eb clarinet resonite bell which I'd greatly modified; out of macadam for the next half hour, with not a vehicle passing in the lane I was kneeled in the middle of. Several months ago within the past year I dreamt of the instrument intact, with seven postage stamps attached; in the tomb of what seemed an ancient pyramid in Egypt. Long stories, right; I've plenty of reason to believe in my tiny horn, as one an experimental prototype for an interesting mass production musical instrument: The Festiva's role now stands peculiar in, which came about from someone in Eureka telling me about the pending time change a week later to daylight savings time-so I set my wristwatch ahead leaving there and was still an hour too soon, I'd forgotten about during the fourteen hour drive to Bellingham; getting to Mojo Music after unloading the Festiva at my new apartment where I'm still living almost five years later, wanting to show an employee at Mojo also a musician the horn, who turned out to be off work that day.

Oh, and the new website's appearance seems less attractive; if perhaps because something I'm not used to? I'm also a little confused by some of the technical things, as a computer/internet primitive; I guess are more advanced than the old website? An administrator may think this thread more appropriate as off-topic; though I'm posting initially at least in General Discussion, for the strong orientation involving automobiles: And a truck.

Teru runs in the annual 10k Spokane Bloomsday run, then in his mid 50s who reliably always finished in the top thousand of a race drawing over a hundred thousand; who invited me to his own dojo that afternoon for a celebration, which I brought a huge amount of my own recipe "brown rice tabouli" for featuring red beets and red cabbage with tamari along with parsley and lemon juice, he'd told me was a pot luck.[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbouleh Strangely, we were the only people there until I left awhile later keeping what was left of the dish I prepared, who I'd waited for as he commented, on a bench next to the garbage can at the entrance to his south hill Spokane compound I'd never been at before; who had offered me a can of the macro-beer Schlitz I declined, then sampled some of my cooking in his home, looking as if I'd managed to be somehow flippant he had to stomach. I roast the brown rice well before cooking, if anyone wants to experiment; which is what gives a texture I think similar to bulgar. Using short grain brown rice in that instance, which I'm eager to experiment with using medium grain brown rice now; the type overwhelmingly common when a person asks for brown rice in many, likely nearly all restaurants-except those featuring organic cuisine. Lundberg used to offer a medium grain brown rice, the largest producer of organic brown rice in the United States; whose "nutri-farmed" products are transitional to organic, as was the medium grain I've noticed they no longer sell the most recent time I was trying to buy a twenty pound bag at a co-op in Bellingham. Chinen arrived in a '48 half ton International pickup his students had given him; or at least had that parked there-we'd commented upon encountering, having our meal together?

*"To be stronger, more flexible and to think more clearly" was my impromptu shout my first day when asked why I was there to study karate' which was loudly applauded by the class. I'd been doing some thinking; and was taking a Tai Chi class also at the Y, simultaneously I lasted in the same length of time as Teru's karate' class with a teacher from China who was also capable of teaching Tai Chi as a martial art. He'd taught members of the royal English family then recently in Vancouver, B. C. who'd had a class in Tiananmen Square and was given to making funny comments about people being able to come through Communist reeducation well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bobstad; 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

If you knew the thread number, you could modify it in the address bar.
    I just did an advanced search for somnabulance for user bobstad and came up with thread 4696
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      If you knew the thread number, you could modify it in the address bar.
      I just did an advanced search for somnabulance for user bobstad and came up with thread 4696
      I'm vague as to how to find out a thread number, and spacey about what an address bar may be in relation to my problems at least, guessing is the window in the browser websites are addressed by?

However, I seem to be able to access all my threads and posts now; which I'm also a little hazy on at the end of the day, farting around with the computer well over twelve hours. I'll try to get back to this when I'm more into making sure I'm copasetic with the whole shebang. TANX bravekozak...wondering what "bravekozak" means if anything?

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I added a link for thread 4696 in my first response. If you hovered your mouse cursor over the words, the underline should take place. Then you just have to left click your mouse to follow the link.

You are probably more familiar with the spelling of the word "cossack", which means freedom fighter. The kozaks were a large elite cavalry brotherhood that defended the steppes from invasion by the eastern hordes of Tartars (A member of any of the Turkic and Mongolian peoples of central Asia who invaded western Asia and eastern Europe in the Middle Ages).

A good analogy would be like the Musketeers. All for one and one for all.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I don't understand what you can't find.

Your posts are all still there. You can see all the threads you've created by:
          1. At the very top of the page where it says "Welcome, bobstad"... Click on the link that says "My Profile"
          2. On the left hand side of the page there are 2 links: Find my latest posts and Find latest started threads.
          3. Click on Find latest started threads and you'll see a list of every thread that you've posted since we've been running, even back to our phpBB forum days.
          4. Keep in mind - that will show the most recent thread first, so you may have to click through several pages to find the thread you need.

As far as the looks of the forum. The layout is pretty much the same as the old one. We're up to date on our software, which means that we're safer and able to provide more, better features for the members. You can select another skin theme at the bottom of every page by selecting "Black and Turquoise" from the dropdown under Default Style.

Enjoy.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Thanks folks, I'm at other things; but, I feel like I've probably got this covered. When I'm back at the site with more time, no doubt then I'll be sure of what had seemed an obstacle?

By the way, I'm still unsure of my mouse usage; with "left-click" or "right-click" things which confuse me? With the impression I may be doing these things already and not know the terminology. My only formal training was a friend about six years ago showing me how to "cut and paste" though I did order the "Missing Manual" by Pogue Press for my Tiger OS X 10.5.8 operating system used from Amazon, which should be here any day.

My apartment scene is amazingly confusing, is the long and short of things; though lately I've jettisoned a problematic friendship of nearly five years, gracefully letting the connection lie fallow since someone I can feel concerned over. Which seems to've taken enough of a load off, perhaps I'll get around to things I've been distracted from; piling up like starving hogs at an untended refuse dump. A pretty gross mess in other words; always great comedy for the passing world's amusement, so readily sustained by same if given the least leverage. Yuck.

Comment

Bobstad,
              It might behoove you to store your technical, literary writings, essays, tomes, and opi(?) to another location as a back-up to the forum. Anything can happen. Murphy is always looking for a place to strike. If nothing else, create a free email account - gmail, yahoo, etc. and mail your stuff to that account, using it as a repository.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                Bobstad,
                It might behoove you to store your technical, literary writings, essays, tomes, and opi(?) to another location as a back-up to the forum. Anything can happen. Murphy is always looking for a place to strike. If nothing else, create a free email account - gmail, yahoo, etc. and mail your stuff to that account, using it as a repository.
                I've thought of trying to do that; since the website is really my only "published" effort. The work involved seems incredible however? How could I make a copy of a whole thread, to save in my computer's "documents" application; for instance.

I remember I started trying to do that with the thread I posted with the most views; all about the SOMNAMBULANCE sticker in backwards lettering on the Festiva's windshield I had made, prompting one comment "weirdest most amusing" thread they'd read in the site, then in 2006. The only way I could figure out how to copy the thread, was page by page; then transferring each to a long single page in my computer's "documents" application. Is there no way I could select a whole thread, to copy one in a single action?

I've had lots of fun here, trying to make an extended hobby out of writing about various things perhaps of interest to others; so feel a good record of my writing, even if varied in terms of quality quite a lot. One other comment always makes me proud in another thread, about my real life experiences of some type or another: "Kurt Vonnegut, sort of...and a desperately poor George Carlin" I guess of the latter, was a compliment.

This may not be the New York Times, as some readers suggest my efforts could be more appropriate for, tongue in cheek at best; though here is where "what's fit to print" actually gets so, for me. Like the high school English term paper I got an A minus for, done twenty minutes before class sitting in the hall outside the classroom door; my efforts don't represent any concentrated accomplishments I've poured a lot of work into, rather off the top of my head on the fly to see what floats.

Worth mention I guess, is that English class term paper; followed my half summer's working for world famous hobo author, printer, publisher and journalist John Patric when I was fifteen during 1967, so in essence probably resonant then and now-I have been mentored by someone: Greatly cynical about me, however; proffered such a vacuous realm, this was worth notice!

Anyone with the chance should read Patric's best seller Yankee Hobo In The Orient; published during 1946 still available reasonably priced via the internet. About his travels during the 1930s in Japan, Korea, Manchuria and China; as he felt a native tourist would travel-living on a scant amount of money, he wrests the most out of with well practiced skill. He also wrote several long articles with his own prolific photographs in National Geographic during the depression; which liked him since he traveled far more inexpensively than anyone else they knew.

After the second world war however, when the advertisers took over the editorial function of the magazine he became suppressed and never wrote for them again. Yankee Hobo In The Orient was serialized in Readers Digest, about the last Patric made any impression on the world stage. However, he remained a strident figure in Washington state for decades; wearing cast off clothing, publishing a weekly single-page newspaper, and showing up frequently in the state capital to give his testy opinions on various things.

His collected works would be worth seeing published; though I don't know who could really accomplish such a thing? He had more knowledgeable followers than myself for sure, since I was still in high school, while as mentioned also sort of an air-head; while I'd see others much older and intelligent stopping by, respectful and seeking wisdom. The general press now, what there is of that concerning John Patric, treats him as a freak; though he was much more, and is often unfairly maligned.
                Last edited by bobstad; 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X