Engine of the Year flies to LA in a Carry-on Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine of the Year flies to LA in a Carry-on Bag

Ford won engine of the year for their all new 1.0L Ecoboost 3 cylinder. This mill is already produced in the Euro-spec Focus and is proving itself well.

We can't even begin to imagine all of the weird stuff that the Transportation Security Administration has seen through the screen of the airport x-ray machine (or worse, when they find when they get to snap on those latex gloves and actually rummage through your belongings). But we have to imagine that this, right here, was worth a second look or two as it ran through the TSA line.

The article says it went to LA for the announcement, coming early this week (Nov 19, 2012), to let us know which production model will feature the engine here in the states.

I can't be the only one excited to see this!
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

To produce 125 hp out of a 1 litre engine means this thing will be spinning like crazy (the more the revs the more the power) all of the time. I can't imagine engines like that lasting much beyond 100,000 miles unless some very sophisticated engineering and expensive technology is incorporated into them.

Comment

Looks like a snowmobile engine. Like to see the head compared to a justy head!!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Ford has the opportunity to focus it's research and development capabilities now that they're selling world-platform vehicles. The same Focus that is toting around our streets today was first released in Europe. The engine we have here was designed in the UK entirely. It has been tested rigorously and is already in production.

Now, getting 125hp from a 1L engine is accomplished by turbocharging. I'm sure this forum understands the benefits of forced induction, much more power with less displacement. The engine system is tuned to give peak torque between 2K and 3K rpm. I don't define that as 'spinning like crazy', it should hold up over time.

I'm hoping to snag a Fiesta with this engine. The fuel economy numbers from a Euro-spec Focus, which is much heavier, tempt me.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Takes a special oil for 12 k oil changes, timing belt inside running in oil, special new high temp turbo, manifold cast with head (one piece) Cast iron for better thermal dynamics and lower friction. Pretty good power density , fords best so far. I bet that engine oil will be right up there with red line !!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

TSA would never let something like that go as carry-on. I speak from experience -- hundreds of commercial flights since 9/11.

For an example of TSA's level of paranoia, I once tried to take on a mayonnaise jar containing a few dozen 3/8" diameter propellor ball bearings with virtually all of the grease wiped off. TSA objected, saying "You might light your mayonaisse jar and roll is up the aisle toward the cockpit door."

Starting recently, every time I take my 14-lb. cat on board, they pull me aside and run an explosives test on my hands, claiming I might have fed explosives to my furry friend and be planning to explode him in flight.

Back in the "good old days," you could take anything on. I used to take my 72-pound 40mph DiBlasi folding Italian suitcase moped on all the time. Now, anything that has ever had fuel in it can't even go as checked baggage.
            Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

They don't carry that on, they run it down the ramp and set it aside and put it below, then when you get off, you wait for them to bring it up to the ramp.
              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Got a 1 liter Bike engine (Kawasaki 1000R) that puts out 125 hp, with a 10,500 redline. You get to there by taking precision road,
                one of forks in that road is the one that reads left for timing belt, or correct for timing chain.
                Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this is 1986 technology I'm talking about.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I tried to get Magna International, a major tier 1 supplier, to join in a three part joint venture with Dow Magnesium and Pontiac Motorsports in the hope of mass marketing a lost foam magnesium engine block. The boss said no.

I also tried to get Magna to buy the prototype and patent from Smokey Yunick for the hot vapour engine. I actually spoke to Smokey down in Daytona Beach. The boss again said no.

I tried to get Magna to recruit Hans Hermann in SoCal to design a mini straight six engine (better for ceramic coated stamped steel hot vapour manifolds) as a corporate engine for Magna to produce their own family sedan.
                  The boss again said no.

I know how Smokey felt.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X