Owning a festiva.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a festiva.

This is deff a different experience for me. Its changed a lot of things thus far. One of them being my driving style. I come from a background of racing and rallying and hooning. But, in the festi, I don't feel like doing any of that stuff...yet! I still have the urge to customize it and "make it mine"; in a way, more so than my z32. Though of selling my Z crossed my mind (briefly) to get stuff for the Festiva.

I still have not found places to get some components. I see that festiva motorsports company is dead, or I cant find it.

One of the oddest things to me is that its so simple that I over-think almost everything. But, if you read some of the "how-to's" of working on a 300zx you will definitely understand why. It is very complicated just to change the timing belt or water pump on a Z.

I finished the first tune-up earlier today, and It makes a difference, but there is still more to do.

That is all.
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Re: Owning a festiva.

Milton, the best part of the Festiva is making it your own. Start with the Aspire swap and buy yourself a set of rims. That alone will be a great improvement. A B6 (323 sohc or Tracer) is a good solid engine to replace the B3 with, and is a direct bolt-in, wire-up swap. That will give you more pep. 2000 Ranger lights work with some light modding, and improve your visibility immensely. Check out what Junspeed and Ernst have in the FS forum too. Suspension mods are a well-discussed item, and honestly one of the only 90% bolt-on systems available is the mk1 golf Raceland kit but the spring rate will put you on the list for a kidney transplant.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I'm reading through the suspension thread now, but got sidetracked with the bushings. I'm going to go to OReilly tomorrow and see if I can find all the bushings for the front end. I am gonna wait on advancedynamics to make a kit before I touch suspension I think. reading on alternator upgrades now

Does anyone make lightweight or underdrive pulleys?

Im trying to get a handle on engine swap vs mpg's. I'm still leaning towards supercharging the b3.
      Last edited by MiltonHavoc; 11-23-2012, 01:54 AM.
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

b6's seem to be scarce in Colorado. checking neighboring states though.
        Fast....Women are fast
        Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Re: Owning a festiva.

Good luck! I go to car-part.com for my parts.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I'M soooooo over the b3. Im tired of honda fits and stupid people in pickup trucks cutting me off or tailgating me.
            BP swap is in my future. Damnkid Im coming to your house to let you do my swap.....
            Fast....Women are fast
            Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Haha I am also a newbie owner of a Festiva. My other car is a Mustang GT with quite a bit of mods.
              I needed a car to save on gas. I had a motorcycle but was too afraid to drive it daily. So I sold the bike for $1600 and bought a really beat up Festiva for $500. Also I never was taught how to drive a standard car so this 5 spd was my first and I taught myself. I know what you mean about selling your original car.. I really don't miss the Stang, it just sits there until I take it out to show with my Mustang crew. Today was my gas credit card payment and I didn't even hit $100!! Daily driving in the Stang I used to spend easily over $200 in gas. I can't say my driving habits have gotten any better. I'm aggressive and the size of the Festiva makes splitting lanes too easy lol.. Best of all I can park in almost any space now. No longer worried of dings and scratches like I would be in my Stang. I love my Festiva, I'm waiting for my b3 to give out to put a BP in. If it ever gives out.
              Daily Driver:
              91 Red Ford Festiva L 5spd Stock

Show Car:
              2004 Black Premium Mustang GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedHalos View Post
                I'm waiting for my b3 to give out to put a BP in. If it ever gives out.
                I had that philosophy with my B3, but after a year of actively trying to break something in that engine I gave up and swapped it anyway.
                It had 250000km and I drove it with no air filter, no oil changes, no exhaust, very little coolant, and a Ricky Bobby lead foot. When I pulled it for the swap it still ran perfect. I tore it down and busted out the micrometers to see how much damage I did. Everything but the flywheel was still within factory spec. Cylinder 3 was a little glazed and 4 was .001" out of round but if I wasn't planning on swapping anyway the only thing it would have needed was a valve cover gasket, a quick hone job and 3 lifters.

So if you're gonna swap it just swap it. You'll get old waiting for it to die.

Milton: yeah engine availability seems to vary widely based on region. In Colorado the Protege probably sold a little better than the 323 because of the extra torque. A B8ME swap isn't much more work than a B6 and it's an all-around better engine IMO.

Comment

I put a head unit in the car and I think It had a constant drain, cause when I stopped for gas today it died. The funny thing is, now with a new battery, and the head unit gone, Im getting better gas mileage. Alt is still squealing, it sucks waiting for the ground to dry, when tightening the belt should be a few second job. I'm going to upgrade to a rio or b2200 alternator so I never have that problem again.
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

..... IS AWESOME!!!!

I always tightened the belt from the top, but I have long arms LOL
                    Buck.
                    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Working...
                    X