Double Clutching question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Clutching question

I just saw this video on Youtube about double clutching.

He said that if you simply push on the clutch, rev up a little bit, and then push it in the lower gear you will burn out your clutch. Is this true?

When I downshift, say I'm in 5th gear wanting to go to 4th. What I do is that I push on the clutch pedal, rev a little bit, and then just drop it in 4th.... is that burning the clutch?

The man says that double clutching will prevent this from happening.

I thought when you push the clutch pedal down, it disengages the tranny from the engine - so wouldn't the clutch just be spinning while you rev the engine if you have the pedal down, or am I wrong? Please enlighten me.

Re: Double Clutching question

There's no need to double clutch at all. You have no need to rev up. You're basically just using fuel. The only time you "need" to double clutch is when you're driving an unsynchronized transmission, like a semi truck has, and even then you don't have to use the clutch past starting out anyway. You let off the gas, clutch out, downshift, clutch in, and then hit the gas again. In fact, the moment you rev up, you are actually increasing the speed in which your clutch will have to engage. I don't see that that's going to burn up your clutch, but it does put undue stress on the trans.

The proper way to downshift in a deceleration event is to let off the gas until the RPM's are in a range most comfortable for the lower gear to handle, and then change gears. You can also clutch out and let the reduction in momentum put you in the right place to clutch in in a lower gear in the case of uphill downshifting.

If you're racing or passing someone, I could see where the increase in revs might get you going a bit faster, but in a stock Festiva, I'd bet it would just make more noise. That's probably a question for the auto-x and track racing guys...
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I simply try to give the engine enough RPMs to prevent a "jerk" when downshifting. I think the "jerk" would cause the more expensive wear.

Comment

Originally posted by mintFestiva View Post
        I simply try to give the engine enough RPMs to prevent a "jerk" when downshifting. I think the "jerk" would cause the more expensive wear.
        That's what I do

@Driver

So in a nutshell, you're saying that the guy on YouTube is full of crap?
        Last edited by Flw Sock; 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Re: Double Clutching question

Originally posted by Flw Sock View Post
          That's what I do

@Driver

So in a nutshell, you're saying that the guy on YouTube is full of crap?
          If you rev it way up and dump the clutch, it will shorten the life of a stock clutch, but matching revs isn't going to do that. Full of crap? No. Probably just misinformed.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Rev matching is important for smooth operation. That's about it.

It uses more fuel, and doesn't save any appreciable amount of wear on the clutch.

Plus, by leaving the clutch disengaged while revving the engine, you're not "double clutching" anyway. You're just rev matching.

Double clutch:
            Lift off accelerator
            Depress clutch and remove gear selector to neutral
            while selector is in neutral, release (engage) clutch
            Rev engine to desired RPM range (if downshifting) or let RPM fall (if upshifting)
            Depress clutch and engage desired gear
            Release clutch.

This is never /actually/ necessary, except for new/starting drivers operating old equipment or sometimes going from a normal gear to a really low (pulling gear) while moving.

For instance, you can't get back into low in my dump truck without rev matching for the gear. The synchro can't spin up the trans fast enough when going from low engine speeds into that gear, so you have to bring the engine/trans input speed together and raise both, then engage the gear.

Comment

save the clutch completely and after 1st....just shift without pressing the pedal. while driving you can go through all the gears...upshifting or downshifting (while the car is moving anyway). Just match the rev and drop the shifter in place.....keep on trucking.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Double Clutching question

Just don't drive like a retard and your clutch will last a very long time
                Last edited by Damkid; 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

alot of people i know that drive stick, just force in to a lower gear and then slowly let out the clutch.... THAT will burn out the clutch.... me i rev match all the time... not only cause it will help my synchros and clutch last longer.... ITS ALSO FUN!!!
                  Last edited by sasquatch; 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                    This is never /actually/ necessary, except for new/starting drivers operating old equipment or sometimes going from a normal gear to a really low (pulling gear) while moving
                    I actually own a 1952 GMC PD4103 35' over the road bus, with a spicer 4 speed. In order to operate everything correct double clutching is actually needed. Otherwise no matter what you do, you grind gears like it's going out of style. This is actually where I got my user name (2x(double)clutchin). I may have misread your comment though and really you agreed with this statement but without a comma I got confused.

This reminds me I should post a picture of "The Bus"....
                    Mike Holmgren
                    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
                    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
                    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

only time i ever double clutched was when i would drift with my old 240
                      dont really see the need to in a festiva lol

Comment

have to in mine, for 5th gear only, AND by double clutching I mean twice depressing the clutch pedal when going from 4th to 5th
                        He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                        1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                        1984 Ironhead Chopper
                        1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

I often double clutch going from third to second, because the synchromesh in second is damaged and doesn't work very well. I had the same problem with my '66 VW "square-back" and felt I always had to double clutch going from third to second too, just like I often do with the Festiva now; until one day a woman drove the VW with me riding shotgun, who never double clutched yet always got from third to second without any grinding whatsoever.

She simply had a more sensitive and intelligent touch; which taught me a lot about my driving, and how much of that is based upon a passion for motor sports I was encouraged in by my father and uncle as a child and youth. Now I see my paternalistic patriarchal influences as overblown; even a paternal grandfather who shined more than the rest of the males in my family, a talented logger. That woman, I know drove to make the car last with the least expense; which reflected a lot of her admirable general demeanor and attitudes about life. While I can see a lot more stupidity on all levels, from where I've come from.

The way I was taught and the reason I've used double clutching frequently; is that the engine can be made to function as a brake, which is by downshifting. If a person has a feel for making the clutch last a long time; this sort of driving I think is an efficient style. Having the motor speed matching that of the transmission when the clutch is let out in a lower gear, saves wear and tear on many of the car's most integral components; rather than dumping the clutch to hear the motor scream up in speed matching the speed of the tranny in a lower gear.

Of course driving trucks without synchromesh transmissions was fairly common still, in my youth; so a person unless like the woman mentioned above, with a fine touch, had to learn to double clutch. If you are really sensitive, once a rig is moving you needn't use the clutch at all even without synchromesh gears; by matching the motor and transmission speeds closely enough.

I've also had cars which I could "power shift" by slamming the shift lever hard from gear to gear without using the clutch, while keeping the motor floored. That however, is why the second gear synchromesh on my Festiva doesn't work; when a woman passenger was giving me as per usual a hard time, and I let the car absorb my frustrations stupidly. With the ladies, my history is "good cop, bad cop" style; never held in one mode over long while trying to absorb of any moment, the prevailing energies.
                          Last edited by bobstad; 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM.
                          '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Working...
                          X