Effects of engine blow-by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of engine blow-by

Just wanted to post about the issues I've encountered while rebuilding/swapping my B6. As many know, my original B3 suffered from excessive blow-by. I drove it as long as I could...about 5K miles before it got too bad to run. During that time, the oil would get very dirty and nasty, very quickly. Since the valve train on the B6 was shot, I decided to use the rockers and shafts off the B3. They were in excellent shape when I replaced the head gasket on the B3 only 20K miles ago and showed very little to no wear. When I pulled them off now, to install on the B6, they look like they have 300K miles on them. The shafts are scored, several HLAs were collapsed and the rocker bores are fried. I managed to piece together a complete valve train from three different motors, but this is something to keep in mind.

These motors have lots of "sliding action" in the valve train. The sled type cam followers, shaft mounted rockers and aluminum cam journals are all very sensitive to oil contamination. It doesn't take long to trash things with dirty oil. It is also important to use an oil additive with ZDDP. Modern oil contains little to no zinc ....as opposed to oil even 10 years ago when these motors were designed.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

This post makes me think of the STILKO toilet paper oil filter I use, which is a model now not commonly available; while there is still another brand of toilet paper oil filter made by Franz which is currently being sold and has been for decades. I think either filter is worth careful examination, if a person really is concerned about their motor oil being contaminant free and as clean as possible.

Every time I change the roll of toilet paper in the STILKO, after running the motor a short while to circulate all the motor's oil through the new roll of toilet paper considerably; the dip stick has the look of brand new super clean oil. And, not only are contaminants removed, any water in the engine is also absorbed by the roll of toilet paper.

These units filter down to a single micron; versus the twenty to thirty microns of typical commercial oil filters. Some careful research on the internet at such sites as bobistheoilguy.com while turn up many worthy opinions in favor of this sort of oil filtration; in spite of some opinions condemning them, which upon inspection don't seem as worthwhile.

I never change the car's oil; though each time I add a new roll of toilet paper, about one each three thousand miles, I also add about a quart of new oil replacing that lost with the old roll of toilet paper. So, over time all the oil in the engine is periodically renewed. The worst complaints against these filters is they allow fibers from the toilet paper to accumulate inside the oil channels in the motor eventually clogging these. I think with the correct choice of the proper type of toilet paper these problems are avoided.

I first learned of the toilet paper oil filter while in high school; since a friend's father a sixth grade teacher used a Franz filter in their family Plymouth, he liked to talk about. They also used re-refined motor oil; and the dip stick in that car's motor always looked perfectly clean too. Their family was a large one, so not an easy thing raising six children on a grade school teacher's income; which made them value conscious in many things.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Does it take quite a while to get the old filter flushed down the toilet ?
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        Does it take quite a while to get the old filter flushed down the toilet ?
        No. Ostensibly you re-use the paper to 'smooth up' a couple of politicians. Or you slide the roll over a long stick to make a pretty good torch.

Comment

The lighted torch would be a start to "adjust" politicians...

with the paper applied to the area it was originally intended for ..

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            The lighted torch would be a start to "adjust" politicians...

with the paper applied to the area it was originally intended for ..
            I'm reminded of musician friend Tom Russell's ready fund of corny quips; particularly "I resemble that remark" no?[http://www.facebook.com/sourowl

Another approach to "greasing the skids" loggers probably never envisioned?

One thing impressive, are the end effects of well filtered oil; while even more impressive is how the industry has continually discouraged the longevity of anything using lubrication, such effective filtration is capable of protecting. Any damned spin-on filter could be produced with far better filtration, simply by substitution of a roll of tp for the current elements they use.

I'm always cynical about high mileage figures as one approach to better conservation; when thinking about the incredible amount of resources demanded by the manufacturing process, with all the wastage involved with "disposable" consumer products.

I once was refused purchase of my Festiva by a Tillamook, OR wrecking yard, while the tow company there belittled my car as one designed as "disposable;" which stuck in my craw long before I knew of this website or any of the other Festiva associated advocacy and interests.

Like the construction industry, I think commercial concerns oriented towards mechanics; both tend to be interests congenially supported under capitalism-to create employment for that lack of a system's minions, at the expense of the rest of our species let alone all the rest of life on the planet.

The ruling, dominant plutocracy's great effort in behalf of humanity; as macrobiotic theorist Georges Ohsawa comments about our current social evolution the past five millennia, as "mastery of fire and salt" or in other words metallurgy and chemistry; to the near exclusion of the rest of the human potential.

Ohsawa credits the most recent ice age for the phenomena; as well the brutal domination by Europeans of the rest of the species, whose technological advance was well spurred by far more difficult conditions than everyone else had to endure. My take on things, is that space exploration is the one feasible solid; to allow protection of the planet from celestial collisions. Well, holding the species' collective breath; so, don't forget to both inhale and/or exhale, whenever you get the chance!

Disposable! So is anything made by Ed Roth, George Barris; or Maybach Zepplin. While our sound track fades from dialogue; into "Wipe Out" of course. I've often imagined a dollar bill as an adequate source of reusable toilet paper; though instituting the habit hasn't been too easy since applied under those conditions, easier expedients come to mind always.
            Last edited by bobstad; 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Of course, any society capable of space flight; could well find that navigable space craft represents a more feasible survival alternative, than any celestial shields of earth.

I wonder who gets to decide those sorts of things? No wonder I've never married.
              Last edited by bobstad; 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I like Tom Russell.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
                  This post makes me think of the STILKO toilet paper oil filter I use,.......
                  A toilet paper oil filter????......

OK, now THAT I have to investigate.
                  88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                  88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                  91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                  93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Commerce forces all decisions..

Would that wrecking yard have been Besters?? from 30 years past..East side of town.

Burdens towing?? He was all into high dollar stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X