Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatbelt Recall Fix....How Common?

Guys -

Sometime around 1997 or so, Ford sent out a recall for Festiva front seatbelts. Problem was sometimes the front seat female seatbelt receptacle would not release the metal male seatbelt latch. Ford came up with what's in the pix as a solution. I've got them installed on mine but will not on another seatbelt set I bought and am refurbishing. Might be practical but I hate 'em. They're ugly.

My question is, how many of you out there have them? How common are they? What caused the seatbelt latch to NOT release? Was there any other fix other than these ugly add-on clips?

I'm sure at least one old Festy veteran out there has gotta be smart on this.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Twistiva; 12-03-2012, 02:01 AM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

I am pretty sure mine has a wore out version of that thing. I thought it was stock lol.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

My Festy has over 300K on the body, seatbelts don't have those and never had a single problem.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I saw the recall on TV back in the day. The issue was they would release on impact. They demonstrated putting tension on a latched belt and striking it from the inside causing it to release.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
          I saw the recall on TV back in the day. The issue was they would release on impact. They demonstrated putting tension on a latched belt and striking it from the inside causing it to release.
          Hmmmmm.....OK, I take your word for it but my experience was that it wouldn't release. I gave a friend in my Festy once and he tried to release the seatbelt and the thing wouldn't release. He had to lay the seat down flat and slide out backwards. No easy thing because he was about 6' 2" and 230 lbs.

My primary question is how many of us have the seatbelt mod on our Festys?

That's my main question because I want my new seatbelts to NOT have the mod and so I'm curious what my chances of 'success' at that is. If virutally everyone says "I've got 'em" then I'd be more inclined to buy an OEM part / do the mod. My guess is that very few of us have them.....
          Last edited by Twistiva; 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I've only seen those on one festiva in person ever.. I've owned 8 now myself, and seen many more than that in junkyards.. etc..
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Bruce (90 L +) has 'em. If you are going for a restoration, I believe some are available on Ebay, and I would serve to put some 'new' into the look of the seat belts.
              Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post
                .........I would serve to put some 'new' into the look of the seat belts.
                Kingfish -

Thx for the reply but you lost me.

Are you saying you would or would not try to do the recall mod?

I found an OEM recall mod set on e-Bay looking for something else. The guy selling them didn't even know what they were. I had to tell him.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to buy some new seatbelt material. My 23 1/2 yr old belts are looking pretty shot. I can get new belt material but I don't know/haven't looked for a company to do the stitching. My biggest concern is finding the hardware (male/female receptacles in good condition; got the front seat female "U", need the front seat male ends and the rear seat male/female ends, all in tan. Finding good grays is tough but tan is ridiculous...)

Comment

Do it, it is factory correct and it will make the buckle look new.
                  Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

If memory serves me correct, mine were installed before 11/94. They were installed by the original selling dealer and I moved out of state in 11/94.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Just notice today I have them. I would have never known that they didn't come from the factory that way!!
                      Mike Holmgren
                      Thief Rvr Fls, MN
                      1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
                      "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

I have pretty decent tan ones I may let go of. manual belts, drivers side is sprung/frayed iirc the back seat belts are only 2 point. Pm me if you are interested
                        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I'm looking at the photo and have read the thread...I still don't understand how these pieces are attached...
                          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                          Random Festiva Parts
                          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                            I have pretty decent tan ones I may let go of. manual belts, drivers side is sprung/frayed iirc the back seat belts are only 2 point. Pm me if you are interested
                            You bet I'm interested!!!!!

Just PM'd you. Let's talk!

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                              If memory serves me correct, mine were installed before 11/94. They were installed by the original selling dealer and I moved out of state in 11/94.
                              Bandit -

I'm sure you're correct. I know MY mods were not installed until sometime between April 1996 and April 1999 because I had it done in Mississippi when I was an instructor at Columbus AFB. Knowing me, I probably had the recall notice stuffed in my glovebox for years and only went in right before the recall expired...

Comment

Working...
                              X