Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire store insisted on putting the two new tires I bought on the REAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire store insisted on putting the two new tires I bought on the REAR!

I ordered and went to have mounted and balanced two new 12" tires on the front one of my many Festies at Discount Tire.

The kid behind the counter said "You want us to rotate your tires?" I said "No, just put the new ones on the front." He refused, saying "Our corporate policy to to move rear tires to the front and mount new tires on the rear."

I chuckled, asking "You seriously expect me to have you put the nearly bald tires from the end of my car that just goes along for the ride up front where I need traction and steering?"

The kid reiterated his company's policy. I was about to walk out (I still had posession of my money) when he said "For only a little more money, I'll sell you four new tires." Well, that's one way to get over a disagreement on where to put new rubber. He offered $170 including balancing. I accepted.

I've been scratching my head ever since, asking "Why would anybody want their best tires on the rear?" That made sense back in the days of rear wheel drive, but why would anybody do that now? Is some rear-wheel-drive lawyer type who doesn't know how to stop a spinout making up this rule?
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

I once had bald tires on the rear on an old festiva, driving through snow calmly the back end repeatedly wanted to slide out on me

I'm not sticking up for the idiot but there could be a point.... Personally the customer should get what they ask for if the business wants the customer to spend their money

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Re: Tire store insisted on putting the two new tires I bought on the REAR!

Its because stopping and going straight is more important than accelerating.

The average person does not know how to straighten out a car that's getting squirly.

A lot of shops are like this nowadays.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

A few winters ago I drove a festiva with new winterforce snow tires on the front and some all seasons on the back with maybe 50% tread. The car would plow through any snow but I had the rear come around twice on me, once on a busy city street and once on a main highway. Once it started coming around I could not stop it. Two 180's was plenty for me, I should have rotated the snows to the rear.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

You have to really try to get the back end of the Festiva around. (I live in Utah. We get LOTS of snow) The short wheel base is usually quick to straighten things out. I have seen the past few years where tire shops are recommending the best tires to go on the back. The logic being, that the front tires have the weight of the engine to keep them planted.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
          1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
          1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
          1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
          1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Most people believe the common misconception that all the rear tires do is follow along. Wrong.. The rear tires keep the vehicle going the intended direction. If they were to lose traction. The entire vehicle stability would be compromised much greater than if the fronts lost traction. If the fronts lose traction, the vehicle would continue in a straight line, (you could even turn the steering wheel back and forth and continue straight) If the rears lose traction the rear of the vehicle will swing away from the direction of the road crown and/or magnify the lateral forces if turning causing it to swing. Combine that with the light ear weight of the Festiva and it could be dangerous. If I had to choose, the best goes on the rear. I'm a Ford Master Tech of 13 years, so when it's mine I don't choose.
            Tim
            '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
            '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
            '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
            '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
            '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
            '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
            '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
            '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

I had to sign a waiver.
              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

is this deja vu? I thought there was a thread exactly like this one...with the same exact answers....what the hell.....
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I think you're right Willie.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

What the heck, a new year will be here before we know it too!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The Canadian Tire franchise is so liability conscious that they won't sell, and then mount on a car, 2 snow tires anymore. If you want snows they will only mount 4. If you accept them loose (ie simply mounted on rims) they will sell you one or even two. 2 snows on the drive wheels has served me well for many decades but I can see where leaving a couple of 'balderinos' on the elsewhere would not be a great idea for stopping.
                      A very long time ago I mixed radials (new-fangled at the time) and bias-ply on a Mini Cooper, figuring the bias-ply would do no harm at the back. Went around my usual sharp corner on a dry sunny day at 60 mph and wound up in the weeds! Couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened but never tried mixing ply tires again, after that mishap.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                        is this deja vu? I thought there was a thread exactly like this one...with the same exact answers....what the hell.....
                        yeah Charlie had the same complaint IIRC
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm familiar with the problem of the back end wanting to become the front end when driving on ice. It happened to me in Los Anchorage a couple of times with nearly-bald rear tires (worst ones on the rear). While turning -- quite slowly -- 90 degrees left and right onto a six-lane road, I ended up doing 360s!

That problem (called a "ground loop") actually happened to me during landing rollout of a heavy museum-quality twin-engine castering-tailwheel airplane (comparable to "driving a shopping cart backwards at 80mph") on dry pavement in the AZ desert a while back when I experienced left-side-only brake failure and wasn't fast enough releasing the right-side brake pedal. The back of the airplane slowly came around, sending me off into the desert, then re-entering the runway several hundred feet before the spot where I had exited. A photo of the resulting skid pattern (from the tires sliding SIDEWAYS, not from braking) is attached.

The point is well-taken about the importance of having good rubber on the Festy's lightly-loaded rear end.
                          Attached Files
                          88L black, dailydriver
                          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                          4 88/89 disassembled
                          91L green
                          91GL aqua pwrsteer
                          92GL red a/c reardmg
                          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            Its because stopping and going straight is more important than accelerating.

The average person does not know how to straighten out a car that's getting squirly.

A lot of shops are like this nowadays.
                            I hadn't had my Festiva for very long, back in 1993, when I had problems in the rain. Turned out it was because my rear tires were not in great shape(not at the tread indicator though,) while the fronts were. I hit a bump in the road changing lanes, and lost it. Same issue crossing RR tracks. I promise, it started spinning so fast, there was no time to react. I do mean spin, like a couple 360's, although the first time it *felt like* about a dozen 360's. I have since always kept my good rubber in the rear. Sometimes I slip a little during acceleration, and a little bit on braking, but my handling is much more reliable. Not great when they get bald up front, but nothing crazy happening either.

I promise, I know how to handle the car when it gets squirrely
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              A very long time ago I mixed radials (new-fangled at the time) and bias-ply on a Mini Cooper, figuring the bias-ply would do no harm at the back. Went around my usual sharp corner on a dry sunny day at 60 mph and wound up in the weeds! Couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened but never tried mixing ply tires again, after that mishap.
                              I did the same thing on a '69 Impala convertible. I didn't go off the road but did a pretty good slide around a curve after the installation.

After i got used to the handling, it made for a fun car to drive hanging the tail out around any corner with little effort.

Ahhh, great times.....

Comment

Working...
                              X