No announcement yet.

The B3 as a generator: pro and con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word to the wise on the Harbor Freight head, 7200 running watts isn't a whole lot. You can run basically 1 big system (well, fridge/freezer, garage door, large appliances) and some lights. We've upgraded to a 8750 running watt IIRC 9500 watt surge Honeywell unit with a Honda GX400 from Costco. Has electric and pull start, starts very easy. Since I've been born we've gone through about 2 other generators. The rural PNW takes a hit from November to February pretty regularly. Hanukkah eve 2006 gave us 4 days without power.
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I like the idea of using a whole Festiva as a generator. That seems much better than buying one, since I live in an apartment. How would that work? I have a carb'ed Festy. Would running the engine be more efficient than a regular generator?
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Re: The B3 as a generator: pro and con

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
        I like the idea of using a whole Festiva as a generator. That seems much better than buying one, since I live in an apartment. How would that work? I have a carb'ed Festy. Would running the engine be more efficient than a regular generator?
        A 45 amp alternator might run your TV...lol
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Well, if were bringing up alternators hooked up to an inverter, run multiples. Fab up brackets and run two or three high amp alternators. Cost may be prohibitive this way especially with the size of inverter you'd need to do anything major with it.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
          91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
          92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
          95 Grand Prix SE DD
          Wife's Stuff:
          89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
          97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
          Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            A 45 amp alternator might run your TV...lol
            I meant with a pulley, not the alternator.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Good point on cruise control, one of the older types with adjustable sensitivity and set
              would work as long as the generator was loaded near that set point. If the horse power
              going to the generator is the same as a festy draws while cruising between 35mph and
              and about 80mph , and the pulses from the speed sensor on the crank are the same as
              on the car, then it would work the same. When the load is too light then it will hunt and
              return to idle. The average guy is going to have trouble with out good directions so
              it is best to just buy a governor that comes with directions.

Using a hand throttle to set the rpm is fine too as long as you are sitting there watching
              it. I left my kids watching a movie on a player - tv combo and let the hertz get a little high
              caused by gen set over speed and the whole unit made a big pop and quit permanently!!

I didn't see this mentioned but are you looking for DC only for batteries or are you really
              needing the AC for appliances way out there?
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I would think an AC generator head would be rather essential if living out in the sticks with no city water. I don't know of too many well pumps that run on DC.

I suppose potable water could be stored so when the power went out the well pump would be a non issue.

Pretty much comes down to how many "things" you want to run and if it's for emergency power or full time duty.

Comment

Use a carby B3 hooked to a wood gasifier and if you live in/ near the woods... free energy! Well sort of. I know that you can make a decent gasifier from scrap but for the best efficiency you would need better materials.

Comment

Have the wood gasifier ready to hook to the car, and have the generator hooked up on rollers like a chassis dyno..drive in , plug in and power up the cabin on free energy!!!

Don't forget to change the oil every 3 months..

I would like the gasifier ON the car, around here I would not need to return to town. Whats the point?? When the power goes out you cannot purchase anything with out a gun!!

Comment

Lots more good ideas. I should read up on wood gasification, too.

My plan is to purchase around 5 to 12 acres of land and put a shipping container on it first, for simple storage. Then turn that into a shelter by building onto it and maybe another shed, etc. Eventually I want to retire there, and will have solar and wind power capabilities. My dwelling will be small--maybe 400 to 700 square feet (less to heat in winter and I doubt I'll have A/C), with proper solar gain orientation for easy passive solar heating, an efficient wood stove and a rooftop rain collection system, with another roof or two provided by outbuildings, sheds and/or carport. Toilet will be of the composting type, so no water used there. As much as possible I want to live off my land.

I am planning on water and energy sources increasing in price and perhaps becoming hard to obtain in the future, so I need to "have my own." Everything will be as simple and DIY as possible so I don't have to pay money to have things fixed and can remain as unnoticeable as possible to the tax man and anyone else who shows an unhealthy interest in my business.

The B3 generator is mainly for backup power and emergencies, not for regular use.

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM.
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Karl, when you get done putting your place together I'm going to have to come check it out. Sounds too cool!
                        I think the shipping container houses are awesome, if you decide to go that route!

Just saying
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I can see it now a whole bunch of local Festiva guys all get containers and put them in a circle like the covered wagons. Then you will paint each one adiferent color and give it a cute Container name either from its old company it served or something about its adventure to its final resting place
                          Last edited by getnpsi; 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Retired Hippies..that's some of us before long!!

Comment

Working...
                            X