Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth it?

Hello all, I have been visiting this site almost every day looking at the Festivas for sale.

The question I pose is about a Festiva that popped up on my radar today. It is a 1991 automatic with 83k, aqua in color. Can't tell if it is an L or a GL from the one picture he sent.

I have not gone to see it yet but it looks decent. He is asking $600.

The catch is that he says it needs an entirely new exhaust and possibly a battery. Also says the alternator is new.

I am a college student and therefore don't have money to really fix it now (barely enough to buy it if I so chose).

So do I buy it and store it until I have the money, do I wait until something else comes up? (When I graduate) Just asking the guys that know just about everything there is to know about a car that I think I'll love.

I would buy it! You can drive without exhaust for a while and batteries are cheap at salvage yards. Usually like 20-30 bucks.
    Ford Fester

Comment

Here's one out your way that is a little more money but seems like a good deal.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by poot View Post
        Hello all, I have been visiting this site almost every day looking at the Festivas for sale.

The question I pose is about a Festiva that popped up on my radar today. It is a 1991 automatic with 83k, aqua in color. Can't tell if it is an L or a GL from the one picture he sent.

I have not gone to see it yet but it looks decent. He is asking $600.

The catch is that he says it needs an entirely new exhaust and possibly a battery. Also says the alternator is new.

I am a college student and therefore don't have money to really fix it now (barely enough to buy it if I so chose).

So do I buy it and store it until I have the money, do I wait until something else comes up? (When I graduate) Just asking the guys that know just about everything there is to know about a car that I think I'll love.
        See if he will take $500, then use the hundred you didn't spend on a battery.
        exhaust is not crucial unless you have noise ordinance laws or emission inspection. b3 is a quiet motor without a muffler compared to hondas and the like.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

600 is a pretty good deal for a car that sounds like it is road worthy...though needing some fixes. Like torqueeffect said try to find other things wrong with the car when you take a look at it so you can talk him down a little. Leaky valve cover, rust, rough interior, "bad" tires, etc. I know some people on the forum have picked up a very small lawn mower battery that is much cheaper and works just as good. I'd have to do some digging to find it. The mileage being so low on this car is a very good thing. You would hope the engine is at least in good shape. Exhausts would be no big deal to fix at a local muffler shop.
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

If you have the six bills, go check out the car, walk around the car a couple times, make some comments about the rust, look under the car where the rear axle bolts to the chassis if it looks solid your probably ok, if it looks like swis cheese hop up, say thanks for your time and walk away, dont forget the floor boards. Now if it looks kinda road worthy do an inspection, lights, turn signals, HEATER, water level, oil, etc if it still looks ok, take it for a ride make sure the trans does what it is supposed to do. Visit awhile, pull $400 out of your right picket and see what he says, keep working him, if he balks take $ 100 out of your left pocket and say thats all i have. Good luck and we will need pic's
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
              look under the car where the rear axle bolts to the chassis if it looks solid your probably ok, if it looks like swis cheese hop up, say thanks for your time and walk away
              Damn, I have rust getting very close to that location, more specifically the lower bolts on both sides of the car. not sure if I can stop it.

Guess it is time to save up for another Festy. *sigh*
              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by poot View Post
                ......a 1991 automatic with 83k.....looks decent (in the pix)......asking $600.
                Those miles?!?!?!?

That price?!?!?!?!

On a car that has been proven on this forum to practically last forever with careful driving and routine maintenance?

Heck yeah, I'd buy it! :thumbs_up:
                88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Check the ball joints first!!

Also check corrosion on the brake lines you can see. Test drive it and make sure everything works.

Good luck!!

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Just need the address and/or phone number I'll check it out for you!

I have a feeling I better get it, it might be too much trouble for you.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Feel free to pick this one up, being in college I simply just don't have a compelling enough reason to buy it. I have a 97 Kia Sportage 5 speed that I am driving now (still paying off as well). I will be outta college in 2 more years and will almost assuredly be buying a Festiva.

Here is the information that I have at this time for you Pu241!

Email: jd7hw-3474989041@sale.craigslist.org
                      They will most likely email you back using their personal email but I don't feel comfortable just throwing that out into the internet
                      If for some reason they won't give you pictures, PM me and I will forward them via email to you.
                      This goes for anyone else interested!

Hopefully I will have this much luck when I start to search again for a Festiva, one like this would be absolutely perfect, save the Auto trans of course. Love to drive stick!

Comment

Autos can be swapped out for a 5spd!
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                        X