What Spares to take racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Spares to take racing?

At the end of the month Stiv is making his debut appearance at the season Ender 24 hours of lemons outside of Dallas/Ft Worth. As much as I can, I think I have the car ready to go. I have been through the rules and safety specifications and have checked all items.
    If you were going to an endurance road race, what would take as spares?
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

It depends how serious you are about finishing. If I were running it, I would have a complete steering knuckle for each side, a cv axle for each side, a complete strut assembly for the front, a tie rod end, a radiator, top and bottom radiator hoses, extra water, radiator stop leak, extra oil for both the engine and transmission, an engine oil filter, extra brake fluid, enough steel brake line to make a replacement line from the front to rear with extra coupling fittings, a rubber brake hose for the front wheel, a rear spindle assembly with bearings, some wheel bearing grease, a throttle cable, some electrical wire and electrical tape, fan belt, an ignition distributor and coil, extra spark plug wires and spark plugs, battery, battery cable repair end that clamps on to the battery cable or a battery cable that is long enough for either the positive or negative cable replacement, tires with tubes in them, assortment of nuts and bolts, tailpipe clamps and hangars, hose clamps, some fuel hose that can take fuel injection pressure if your running fuel injection, fuel filter, duct tape and safety wire, a toggle switch, some gasket making material and gasket sealer. A spare fuel pump, either "stand alone" or exact replacement would be nice to have, too.

A few things I would do to the car would be to put a brace from the battery hold down clamp over to the fender to help stabilize the battery. Underneath your car there should be a flat plate welded to the front to back cross member. Drill a couple holes in that and install a tailpipe hangar to support the exhaust pipe at that location in case it would break loose from the manifold it won't drop to the ground. I would also install something to keep your gear shif lever from dropping down through the floor. Take a big pry bar with you. Something about 5 ft. long with a flat blad like a cold chisel on one end and a big sledge hammer. Take a piece of steel pipe pipe about 3" in diameter and 3 ft long. If you smash a fender in on your tire, you hold the pipe on the edge of the tire and move the car forward or backward to roll the fender back out from the tire. A porta power would be nice to have, but at least have a floor jack, a bottle jack, and some safety stands. A big piece of cardboard makes a nice creeper and place to put your parts during a repair.

I probably forgot something, but that is pretty much a list of what we always carry with us.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

That is a great list. More than I expected, but every race what I expect to go out doesn't. I will gather more parts.
      If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

That is a good list. I take most of that when I go racing too. I usually have a spare clutch and tranny, and we have taken spare motors to lemons too. I also take spare brake rotors & pads, though for the festi you would want the whole preassembled hub and rotor since the rotors would be very hard to do at the track, a spare alternator is also handy, as are spare tires.
        I would not do tubes in the tires for road racing, though I do for ice raacing. I am not sure I would worry about the extra exhaust support, if you already have a solid engine to exhaust mount on the cabin side of the engine.
        Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
        Icetiva-3-race-car-build
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
          I am not sure I would worry about the extra exhaust support, if you already have a solid engine to exhaust mount on the cabin side of the engine.
          We also had an exhaust mount on the cabin side of the engine when the weld broke where the flange bolts to the exhaust manifold. The pipe dropped down, got tangled in the suspension and did this to the front tire.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Good luck with the race, take pictures and post them!
            Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Working...
            X