Time to sell my Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to sell my Festiva

Well, I finally came to the conclusion that it is time to let the Festy go. :cry_smile:

I decided that after buying the car for $1400 and then having to spend over $700 in repairs, it simply is not worth it to throw any more money at it to get it ready to drive 70mph on the highway back and forth to college 2-3 times per week. It needed new tires, new hydraulic lifters, and I still needed to fix whatever was causing the weird idling issues I have been having off and on. It is very uncomfortable to drive at 70mph and I didn't feel like I could trust the car. Not to mention how unsafe it is driving a major semi artery (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City via I-380) in a Festiva!

Therefore, I finally broke down and spent $5900 on an '07 Kia Spectra with a little over 84,000 miles on it. That was a big step for me as the Festiva was the most expensive car I had ever bought before that. Technically, I did stick to the same brand!
    I feel like I just upgraded to a Cadillac! I actually have A/C, power steering, and intermittent wipers! It takes 70mph absolutely effortlessly. The only thing I wish it had was a 5-speed manual.

Overall, I did learn a lot through repairing the Festiva, but I must say it has probably been the worst car I have owned so far. I should have read up more on carburated Festivas before buying it!

I'll be listing it on Craigslist on Saturday morning and will post a link on the For Sale part of this forum as well. I'm going to try to get $1500 out of it, but I am prepared to be flexible.

Thanks you guys for all of the advice!

I must say that your outlook on them is a little different from mine. I have one that was an insurance salvage car - I bought it for $800, put new front axles, rear bearings, timing belt, water pump, and a used radiator in it, and added 50,000 miles to the 200,000 that was already on it. Never let me down, averages 44 MPG, and takes me anywhere I need to go.

Figuring that the high mileage was pushing it a bit, I bought another Festiva, one with 54,000 miles on it, which I am now using for all my driving, including the highway. I don't care about A/C, I can do intermittent wipers myself, it cruises nicely at 70 MPH, and these little cars don't need power steering. I have less than half of $5,900 in it all told, and it's returning 43 MPG on the first few tanks of gas - I expect it to get better as time goes on ....

Can't see why the Festiva is "unsafe" compared to another car. My Festiva is an armored tank compared to the motorcycle I usually ride - and your Kia is an unprotected crackerbox compared to the Ford F450 crew-cabbed dually that's liable to hit you on that interstate - so it's all relative ... !

Lannis

Comment

Wht year? Manual trans? Im looking to trade a turbod festy.
      93 festy bp swap f series trans.

Comment

I got my 93 for nothing, have put a 100,000 miles on it and travel the high speed roads of the the salt cellar of the nation.
        What do I win?
        It seems to run a little rough lately after I set it on fire under the hood.
        Have slowed down my lead foot after several deer collisions though...

Comment

A big thanks to Eric for selling me the car! The ride home went great and this is the nicest Festiva I have driven
          95 Aspire SE Red (Eddie)
          93 Festiva L Red (Herman)
          89 Festiva L White (Lily)

Comment

Working...
          X