Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven cleaner as an engine bay degreaser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven cleaner as an engine bay degreaser?

Someone on this forum recommended using oven cleaner as an engine degreaser.

I used it to degrease a 10 HP electric motor at work. It works excellent; much better than engine degrease spray. The windings in the motor shorted out, when I put the 220V 3-phase power to it, but this is not the fault of the oven cleaner as far as I can tell.

Any opinions on using it in the engine bay of a car? Does it harm paint or plastic electrical connectors?
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

I believe it is NOT recommended to use on aluminum......
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

I use Dawn dish soap and a brush. Works great. Right out off the bottle. Hose it off and it doesn't attack any metals.
      Chuck
      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
      If money will fix it, it's not broken
      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
      93 GL - Lil Red
      91 L - Tweetystiva
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

I used "Goo gone grill cleaner" and a heavy concentrate house degreaser. Neither melted any plastic connectors. If you're worried about those type of problems, avoid brake cleaner and maybe consider dawn dishwashing liquid or the like. If it's what you have on hand, experiment with some scrap plastic. Most any of these type products will impede electrical operations if submerged, just try to avoid them. Elbow grease and detailing brushes are your friend here.

Comment

Oven cleaner works great on cast iron engine parts, but it's pretty aggressive. I wouldn't use it on aluminum or painted stuff. I use Simple Green mixed 1:1 with water. It works great and doesn't leave a residue or oxydation.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Dawn Power Dissolver!
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
              Dawn Power Dissolver!
              I can't find that anymore. The local WalMart doesn't carry it any more and that's the only store I could find it in.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                Someone on this forum recommended using oven cleaner as an engine degreaser.

I used it to degrease a 10 HP electric motor at work. It works excellent; much better than engine degrease spray. The windings in the motor shorted out, when I put the 220V 3-phase power to it, but this is not the fault of the oven cleaner as far as I can tell.

Any opinions on using it in the engine bay of a car? Does it harm paint or plastic electrical connectors?
                What Brian said....its very very strong. Its corrosive on Aluminum. So it might etch your copper/bronze bushings that the rotor turns on. Also if the motor use's "Oil empregnated bushings" it can break these down premature. Also it might prematurely break down the clear coating on the windings. And as far as usingit in the engine bay....It will dull paint thats for sure.And it will "dry out" your wires,meaning it will cause the petroleum thats in your wires to literally wash away. Leaving you with sqeeky clean wires that are now much more brittle. I just use engine dergreaser,but I'll soak the engine/engine bay including the plastic intake tubes etc etc . I spray a can on a slightly warm engine & let it soak.Then blow dry with compressed air,then rinse/spray eveyrthing with warm water in a plant mister. Then I keep driving the car and repeat the process as many times as needed. It takes a few short minutes and in a couple weeks the entire engine bay & engine are spotless. I'm a freak about dirt on my engines. I just buy whatever is on sale by the case. The compressed air will literally blast way chunks that would have you scrubing for hours. I modded my blow gun with a 24" piece of copper tubing that lets you get into the tightest spots. Just keep working the gunk towards the ground.Then all you have to do in the end, is jack the car up and hit the underside a couple times for the icing on the cake.It seems that every Aspire I've bought had a leaking Cam/Mains & Dizzy seal.So I have had plenty of time to practice this method.:cry_smile:
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Try spraying a slightly warm (not hot) engine with the Simple Green and water mix, then shut the hood and let it steam clean itself and soak. Then hose it off.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X