Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aspire/gen2 festiva suspension into gen1 festiva.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    The ride height is high. Partially, because of the swap. Partially, because of 14" wheels. I prefer that height. Perfect for getting in an out. Good view while driving. I don't drive fast around corners anyway. I always take wide turns whenever I can.
    Did you retain the Festy springs or is that the result of uncut Aspire springs? I personally like what you've got. The small air dam up front and good ground clearance makes Festys practical 'curb hoppers' when compared to all the lo-slung cars out there.

Comment

You can do the aspire swap and run with a lowered set up, there is nothing that forces you to use the aspire struts/springs. Here is a pic of my old fester with aspire swap and festiva struts w/cut stock springs. I love the stance of a lowered fester and driving it is much nicer IMO.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

How many coils did you cut on the stock springs?
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts
        Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I believe it was 2 on the back ones, and 1 1/4 or 1/2 on the front if I remember correctly, been a few years since then.
          -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
          -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
          -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

..... I still have one more twin carb setup for sale, just in case someone else decides to join us and make it a four way competition.
            Brave -

Twin carb'd? I'm seeing it so I believe it but forgive me for asking, what was/is the purpose of a dual carb setup, particular in a Festy?
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

The E5 engine has two water ports just like the B6. It was the closest match for an adapter. Twin carbs are much smaller than a single carb. The position is further along on the runner. The primaries are more efficient than a single carb. They will give you a few extra horsepower. I couldn't afford Weber sidedrafts or downdrafts, so I got the Mikunis on eBay Australia and waited patiently for sea mail to arrive.
              It's great to see two carbs working in sync with each other.

Comment

Guys, swoopies were a genuine Festiva option. I have about a half a dozen pairs of swoopies to restore. I still have to heat the staples and melt them into the plastic, where the motor housing ears have broken off. I will work on them after I move in February.
                Dan -

2 things:

1 - Swoopies: Hey, if you're planning on selling them after restoring them, I'll commit to you right now to buy a set. Heck, I'd even PM you the money if you want. I've got an LX that I'm considering moving from 'parts' status to driveable status and it only has the standard LX powered mirrors. Swoopies look much nicer; not so heavy and clunky. (Though I still like manual mirrors on my 88L DD.)

2 - Dual carb: So what kind of an air filter cover do you use? Will both carbs fit under a standard round/circular pan?

Comment

Would also be in on a set of swoopies pending price. Let us know.
                  -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                  Random Festiva Parts
                  Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

My swoopies are in three blue bins. I bought them from various wreckers so that they wouldn't be thrown out. The only thing that is wrong with them is the broken ears. I guess that's what happens when you try and move a mirror by hand at sub zero temperatures. Twistiva, I will mark you down for a pair when I rebuild them.

As for the twin carb air cleaner that comes with the carbs, it is unique. New replacement filters are still available from Australia. Intake manifold gaskets are still available from Australia.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

My swoopies are in three blue bins. I bought them from various wreckers so that they wouldn't be thrown out. The only thing that is wrong with them is the broken ears. I guess that's what happens when you try and move a mirror by hand at sub zero temperatures. Twistiva, I will mark you down for a pair when I rebuild them.

As for the twin carb air cleaner that comes with the carbs, it is unique. New replacement filters are still available from Australia. Intake manifold gaskets are still available from Australia.
                      Brave -

Swoopies: looking forward to it.

And.....good luck on a smooth move into your new home!

Comment

I have a question on this too.. is using the rear suspension off the gen2 with the gen1 springs at all?
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I'll write it again as my phone is a tard and needs a hammer

Is using the springs off the gen1's older shocks and struts with the new gen2 shocks and struts a suitable idea or won't this work?

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Guys, swoopies were a genuine Festiva option. I have about a half a dozen pairs of swoopies to restore. I still have to heat the staples and melt them into the plastic, where the motor housing ears have broken off. I will work on them after I move in February.

Could you please do a how-to as I think I have this issue where a bracket that holds a plastic rod to hold the mirror in place has been snapped off. Pitty too.

I'm not sure if I got the "swoopies" or not but they are eletric and they have Mazda at the bottom. They seem to look the same though.

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

That last one was a quote. Like i said... Hammer.

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Re: aspire/gen2 festiva suspension into gen1 festiva.

Gary,
                                I just ordered kyb gr2 shocks from America.
                                They're the same for Gen 1 and Gen 2 in the back end.
                                The fronts are different. I think the Gen 2 are longer. This would make the Gen 1 sit higher.
                                If you were to use Gen 1 springs on the Gen 2 strut, chances are you would reduce the travel in your shocks.

You'd be better off to use the entire Gen 2 suspension and put up with it sitting a little higher. Or go aftermarket/custom and make your car handle like its on rails.

I am, therefore I think
                                I think, therefore I do
                                I do, therefore I have
                                1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Working...
                                X