Picked up a new Daily Driver!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a new Daily Driver!

Just picked up a 89 lx 2.3 4cyl 5spd with 52k on the clock! As much as I am excited about the new car I'm just as excited about making this my new daily driver and turning the Festiva into a dedicated racecar.

Here's a pic of the new ride. banana time

'93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

You lucky Fokker (Dutch-designed, Anthony was his first name, German airplane) outside the rust belt! Only time I'd expect to see a car like yours up here, as a DD, would have been 10+ years ago, or, if the owner hid it away every winter. What I've been aspiring to is something non-electronic and pre-1988. Ontario E-tests exempt all vehicles from before that time. Apparently this year (in Ontario) E-tests are going to switch over to OBDII readers instead of the expensive dyno/tailpipe analyzer equipment they've (private garages that bought into/invested heavily in this gov't scheme) have been using up till now. I'm praying that gov't will see fit to exempt 88-96 vehicles as a consequence. Very few DD 88-96 cars are still on the road out this way. But our "lunchbox" Festys are one of them. Economy, no frills, no airbags and no E-tests and no frivolous weight could/would attract a new generation of "auto fiddlers".
    I did anticipate some of this foolishness 25 years ago when I unloaded a purchased-new 85 Ford Ranger (EFI with not-too-long-thereafter errant computer) for a non-Cat, carbed and non electronic 4.9 86 F150 in 1989. I knew this was going to be my 'last kick at the can' and oiled the bejezus out of it underneath every chance I got and confidently drove it for 20 years year round. I don't drive the old girl in the winter anymore but she's easy to fix and cheap to run, still.
    Good luck with your purchase. If the 2.3 you're talking about is the old Pinto/Capri engine of the 70s they're pretty much bullet proof.

Comment

Too most people you told them you bought a Mustang as a DD so you could turn your Festiva into a race car...they just wouldn't get it!
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

:laughing3::laughing3:
        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          You lucky Fokker (Dutch-designed, Anthony was his first name, German airplane) outside the rust belt! Only time I'd expect to see a car like yours up here, as a DD, would have been 10+ years ago, or, if the owner hid it away every winter.Good luck with your purchase. If the 2.3 you're talking about is the old Pinto/Capri engine of the 70s they're pretty much bullet proof.
          Haha One of the only "perks" of living in the south! And yes its pretty much the same engine, hope this things keeps on trucking! I'm the 3rd owner. An old lady had it first, then a friend of a friend's dad had it for a few years and drove it back and forth from work. Now I picked it up from them.

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
          Too most people you told them you bought a Mustang as a DD so you could turn your Festiva into a race car...they just wouldn't get it!
          Oh they are already shaking their heads in disbelief hahaha! A few of them got to see the Festiva in action at an autox event and completely understand. :p
          '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

Picked up a new Daily Driver!

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
            Festiva purists!!!!
            That's the first thing that went through my mind! Lol
            I'd be throwing some money at the stang to get it to its full street glory.

My friends laugh at me too. My choice this time around was between an evo 8 and a mazda 121.
            I went with the 121 because I know that in 10 years time there will be tonnes of cheap evos going around, but no hot 121s.

Festiva all the way baby!
            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

That's a sweet Mustang! The 2.3 is a great engine! Parts for a car like that are cheap, and easy to find. Congrats on a great car! Good Luck!

Comment

Re: Picked up a new Daily Driver!

Ooh. Man, first thing I would do is swap the headlights out for some crystal lenses, and put some respectable shoes on. Then I would buy it some wheels.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

A co-worker of mine daily drove only 2.3 mustangs since 88. He always got around 35mpg with them.
                  91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
                    Just picked up a 89 lx 2.3 4cyl 5spd with 52k on the clock!
                    Only 52K?!?!?!?!

Friggin amazing, you lucky bugger!!!!

Congrats on the super score!
                    Last edited by Twistiva; 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM.
                    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Keep a spare Clutch TO cable with you. Its the little 4" one that has swagged balls on both ends.They like to pull off and strand me in snow storms. Other than that that they are bullit proof! Great find btw !
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nice find! A clean Fox body notch is hard to find...especially a 4cyl that hasn't been V8 swapped. I would be sooooo tempted to turn it into a turbo sleeper like Eurotiva's Stang.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                        X