No announcement yet.

Your first Festiva.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got into festivas because my parents both had them, and I remembered riding in the backseat of a blue GL as a kid. Not long after they hit a deer with it, patched it up then sold it.. I wasn't close to driving age then anyways. When it came time for me to buy a car for myself, I've always loved small hatchbacks for some reason but didn't want a honda or any other cliche' car that you saw around a lot. I wasn't aware of all the things you could do to them, but then I researched and found this site and everything you could do and well the rest is history! lol had 9 of them now and doubt that it is the end yet!
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

My mother wanted, just once in her life, to own a new car. Always frugal, dad bought her a shiny red Festy 5 speed in 93. A neighbour of mine noticed that red Festy in my driveway regularly (when my parents were visiting) over the years and in 2004 mentioned that his mother-in-law was about to junk her red 92 Festy automatic. I went over there pronto, forked over $50 and drove the car home! Mom's radio had quit a year earlier and I had figured to surprise her with an entire parts car. But seeing as it drove and shifted perfectly well and that the motor purred I went to my favourite mechanic and asked what was involved parts and labour wise to get a mechanical fitness certificate. $500: brakes, bearings, tie rod and a LCA. That car had 114,000K (kilometers) on it when I got it and now has 250,000K (and hasn't really been driven at all in the past 2 years). It went to Newfoundland and back and been more reliable and cheaper to operate than the Festys I've gotten since.

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post

My first car unfortunately lasted less than a year. Hit black ice 6 months and rolled it. Patched it up just for a dodge pickup to back out in front of me with no lights on and totalled it completely 4 months later. I believe it lived on for at least another year seen it rolling down the highway one day. Dang fine car.. my friends always choose me as the driver since it was cheaper to drive it around versus their v8 gas guzzlers. If I would of had my head straight I could of drove that for alot of years!
        Eric -

Hey, given your luck with your Festiva, uh....isn't that a black cat crossing your Festy's path in the pix above?.... :cry_smile:
        Last edited by Twistiva; 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM.
        88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
        88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
        91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
        93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Don't jinx the bloke.... Anyways, my first festiva is still my first festiva.. the red 4 door beast i have so affectinately named Chiva or the chilli festiva (which I have planned to paint ferrari red, but go figure) anyways... The story of how i got my glorybox of joy and awesomeness was a mate of mine was selling the beast and the only reason was because his partner couldn't drive a manual.

The roadworthy list was a few niggles, such as a new windshield, seatbelt, wipers, rear taillight (au passenger side), I think was the worst of it.
          Overall 400$.

I was so wrapped and searched around for bodykits for her, which usually ended with threads on the Internet, which would either be filled with laughter or concern with statements such as "why would you even bother?"

When i finally had it on the road, she popped her very first CV (au passenger) when we attempted a Sharp turn in a neighbours courtyard... She didnt like turning left, but loved the right. I changed it over and neglected to check to see if the oil needed to be removed first and then I realised "I've been baptised".

The CV was replaced and my mate gave me some oil to Topup the engine and I then test drove the car. It was a good feeling in the church of festiva.

Some people are critical of my choice to join.. but I will say this "Halalluyah brothers", it's go time.

The thing I like about my car is that I can navigate through traffic at 140km/h in a car that I can drive with one finger.
          Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
          Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
          Highway - 7.32L/100km
          City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I used to have a 79 Fiesta "S" that I loved and drove it to about 150K until it started to have issues, so I traded the Fiesta to my Dad for a diesel F250. The next year my Dad passed away and I inherited a little (very little) money. I decided I wanted to buy a new low mileage used car that I could drive and not worry about for a while. I wanted something simple and good on gas like the Fiesta was.....and I only had $2500 to spend. I saw an add for 2 Festivas at a local body shop that specializes in muscle car restorations, so I checked it out. When I got there, he had already sold one of them...a fully optioned out GL, but he still had the plain 93 L. It only had 23k miles and looked like new. He had been using it as a parts chaser and said he wanted to sell it before one of his guys destroyed it. He told me to "get in" and proceeded to drive it like he stole it. Then he got out, handed me the keys and said, "go out and have fun with it, I'll be here when you get back and we'll make a deal". It reminded me of my old Fiesta....best $2150 I ever spent.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Re: Your first Festiva.

My first Festiva is still my first, although I do have a second in my name, but that car is my wife's car. In 2009 I started working for US Xpress out of the Michelin plant in Sandy Springs, SC. I had owned an Aspire previous to this, and after having lost it in an accident with a pickup in 2005, I thought I would try again. Searching online brought me to looking at Festivas. I ended up purchasing my 88,000-mile 88 LX for $1600 right across from the plant! Since then, I added a stereo, Aspire swap, wheels and tires, and a cool checkered stripe down the side. It's had a few names, going from the Half-Pint Hot Rod to Red Retro to the current Penny Racer. My mom drove a Chevette when I was younger. I guess I've always loved hatches.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Mom had one, and was totaled by a pickup truck. Got another one and handed it down to me. Got totaled by a Taurus. Haven't had a good one since the first one. Someday, soon, I hope.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My sister's best friend at the time(When I was like 13-15) had a Festiva and I always loved it. No particular reason why either, I don't know. Just the peppy, spirited way it drove, I guess. It was a 5-speed.

I had wanted one ever since, but it wasn't until I was about 19-20 that I had good reason to seek one out. I had a newspaper route and that would be the PERFECT car.... And boy was I right. Bought one for ~$450 with a bad rear bearing, attempted replacement in cold winter weather, then drove it home against better judgement, turns out it had two races in it, side by side. Amazing I made it home.

Sunk much money into it the first couple months, and drove that festy like murderers were chasing me CONSTANTLY and it just came back for more..... The endurance of these cars is incredible. 20 paper route miles a day for the first half, then to 80 paper route miles a day for the last half of owning it. HARD miles. Finally got rid of it about 30k of the most fun miles ever, mostly due to rust.... Oh how I miss it so......

I WILL own another one........
                  Buck.
                  -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                  -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                  -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

It was a frustrating weekend. Our Chevy Cavalier's front end was so bad and rusted grinding and welding were the only hope to make it handle better. But, short on funds we opted to race it again. The rainy day kept the car responding like I was snow racing. I had never driven a car around a track slow. After swearing never to return to Cavalier it was time to find something else. CL was my assistant, I looked at camaros, 240s, corvettes, and even a Toyota pickup. But nothing I felt would last and stay under the $500 limit of the races. I later found the blue festiva with mods already just asking to be raced. My teammates at first were unsure, but all have come to appreciate the Lil Monster. Now, I am on this site everyday planning and reading and taking notes from the great FF community!
                    Cheers
                    If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                      Eric -

Hey, given your luck with your Festiva, uh....isn't that a black cat crossing your Festy's path in the pix above?.... :cry_smile:
                      That's a tabby cat.. did't have but only a couple black cats on the farm. Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that cat got taken out by a car.. think it was the fan blade incident.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Flash back to 1988 I was fresh out of Navy boot camp and attending A school in Great Lakes. I had a 1987 Nissan Sentra that my wife was driving and had gotten t boned in the passenger side and was totaled. I ended up coming home by bus for Thanksgiving needless to say the trip was awful and took what seemed like forever. I got home on a Wednesday and went directly to a Ford Dealer I really wanted a Ranger but the prices were a lil more than I could afford. I ended up with a blue 89 Gl 5speed and I think I got it for zero down. I drove it back to Great Lakes a 12 hour trip and fell in love with the lil thing. Since then I have owned probably 12 of the little beasts and a few Aspires as well. Right now all I have in my stable is a 1990 L Plus auto that I picked up a little over a year ago for 900.00 at a used car lot believe it or not.
                        90 L plus 180,000 miles and counting.

Comment

First one I had was back in 2004 or 5, an 89 carby I picked up at an estate auction for $350. Fell in love with the little cuteness of it. Previous owner still had the original window sticker when he bought it new in 89. He kept a record of every tank of gas for over 200,000 miles. Price, gallons, date, etc. I ran that car for another 50k until the brakes went out, fuel tank rusted out and I couldn't find 12" tires. Sold it to a kid for tournament of destruction races at the speedway.. He ran it for another 2 years, until the motor finally blew. I missed my kart. Been looking for years, and earlier this month found a 98% rust free (here in WI of all places) '89 carby to drive again. Working on getting missing parts, and can't wait to back in the groove!
                          1989 Festiva, Charcoal Metallic Carbureted Manual. #2. (1st was a silver one, but the same)
                          1997 Mustang GT, Black, 4.6L SOHC, 3.73, Magnaflow 5 speed, otherwise stock.
                          1998 F-150 XLT 4X4, Black, 4.6L SOHC, 203,000 miles, stock.
                          ...and about 30 different riding mowers, dozens of pushmowers, thousands of parts...

Comment

My first festiva i picked up was last year in march. Long story short my previous ride was a Honda Prelude Si 4th gen. One night got drunk at the bar decided to drive home & ended up racing a jetta. Cop was posted on the side of the road & pulled over the jetta, soon caught up with me i pulled over. Didn't get a DWI since they didn't test me on the scene so they slammed me with fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle. Which in the state of minnesota they take away your car. My buddy who had a festiva crashed it back in 2011 & ended up parking it at his parents. Sat for about a year & a half. I ended up buying it for 650 with the aftermarket rims & GL bumper covers. Since the front end was smashed up i did the ford ranger headlight swap. This car is awesome. I love it more then my honda. My gf always ragged on the festiva until she got in it & she now loves it too which is good cus we are getting married in may next year & i dont plan on getting rid of the festy
                            sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Saw it come up on my unread threads list and thought I would post then realized that I had started it. Keep those stories coming
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I retired from Truly Nolen Pest Control in Oct 2011, & lost my Company Truck.
                                I had given my 2001 Tacoma to my son so I had no vehical.
                                Chad ,my son , & I were out driving around looking for a vehical for me & to have lunch at Hooters Wings.
                                Driving down a back street after leaving Hooters I saw this little Green car in a front yard with a For Sale sign on it.
                                We stopped & looked at it , but no one was at home.
                                Chad called the phone # on it to leave a message & the owner answered.
                                He worked close & told us he'd be there in a min.
                                He was a machanic that took the Festiva (I'd never herd of one) as a partial payment on some work on a ladies other car.
                                My son drove it & was impressed, I drove it & loved it.
                                He wanted $1200. & we talked him down to $1000.
                                He had problems with the title & it cost him $200. to get it straight.
                                I agreed to pay half & got the car for $1100. cash.
                                He had changed the belts, hoses, air filter & oil & filter.
                                I found this fourm shortly after getting my Festiva.
                                After almost 4 years & many Upgrades I still LOVE my 'Tiva !
                                My first & so far only Festiva.
                                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                                X