alternative headlight bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative headlight bulbs?

I've gotten a new driver's side headlight assembly from one of the members here recently; and am curious about aftermarket bulb potential upgrades, from the stock types I've now installed?

Unfortunately, I've recently replaced both bulbs; so will probably be quite awhile before thinking about renewing them. Otherwise, I'm convinced some of the brighter alternatives, may also be more benign than what I've previously noticed of brighter bulbs; which have seemed too grossly offensive to use, imho. Anyone with better intelligence, is here welcome to enlighten?

I'm often convinced there is a huge amount of overkill technologically, in the area of nighttime illumination; for instance what the yuppie crowd seems to think essential pedaling their bikes around after dark. You can't even find generator light kits anymore, and have to rely upon rechargeable gear which seems nearly as bright as a car's.

What I'm often imagining is that using higher and higher powered lights on any vehicles, or for the road's stationary illumination on lamp standards and such; is counter productive, creating increased glare, and blinding light from on-coming vehicles both. Easy to notice for instance during rainy situations which often seem to amplify such effects, considerably. Anyone with experience, knows how their eyes adapt to the dark; growing increasingly sensitive as light grows dimmer and darkness prevails: Which often seems a fact of life, ignored in night driving technology.

I'd guess that manufacturers and government agencies do little to make production of vehicle lights meet general standards which have been well thought out and/or tested? Not to mention anything as creative as for instance, building such things with an advanced degree of sophistication; allowing for say serious design in windshields and/or glasses, which could greatly contribute to vision improvement, in concert with carefully matched lighting.

As someone more or less proletarian, plebeian, probably prosaic as well as provincial and likely parochial to boot; I associate the horrifically bright lights sometimes seen burning into one's eyes worse than accidental cayenne while cooking and/or a forest defender activist's trials with pepper spray-given the deadly potentials on the road at speed; with those of greater wealth and access to more costly accessories. A crowd of which must be admitted, they probably have few interests as motivating for them as their automobiles; so that ultimately the solution of the sorts of problems I've just been writing of, seem at least vaguely destined to come about.

Thus, I'm certainly willing to bet, that there are perhaps evolving good alternatives which do offer improved illumination sans the aforementioned negatives; without getting off the scale of rationality, like some of the combat derived night-vision gear one sees represented in the movies and elsewhere. I'm of course also interested in economy; so appreciate costs which aren't too much more than for standard equipment.
    Last edited by bobstad; 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

My 90L DD I use Plasma Glow bulbs I bought from Ebay. This is a link to what I bought. I've been running them for about a yr. No issues, good lighting. The bulbs I bought are standard wattage, these are 80/100 watts. These are the same brand as I'm using,except I bought mine from someone else on ebay.

another link
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Re: alternative headlight bulbs?

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
      My 90L DD I use Plasma Glow bulbs I bought from Ebay. This is a link to what I bought. I've been running them for about a yr. No issues, good lighting.
      They also have a 10-yr, no-questions-asked warranty. I have used them in other vehicles, and the difference was notable. They output as much if not more than the Sylvania SilverStars, and are much cheaper.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

For the price and light output, hid kit is the way to go. I have had my set for about 2 years with 1 issue with a ballast. They have a lifetime warranty, so I contacted them, they had me send it back and 2 weeks later I recived 2 updated design ballasts. Here is a link to the kit I have.
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

One afterthought...

During 1968 that summer, I landed at Amsterdam's large airport well outside the city; and rode with the ensemble I was touring with on big airport buses into town, on what seemed a dedicated freeway from the airport.

This had been entirely lighted by orangish hue overhead lights on huge very tall standards; which was lighting designed to be as technically advanced for night vision as then was currently practicable.

We were explained to that in Europe then, significantly more attention had been given to creating optimal night driving conditions, than in the United States; the roadway from the airport represented some cutting edge technology of.

One fact of life about motor vehicular technology in the United States, is the distances are significantly greater than in more densely populated places such as Europe or many places in Asia; particularly as far as administrative governmental boundaries, in what has long been one of the world's most dominant manufacturing nations and regions: So that cars here have always been produced with what were essentially truck engines, until that philosophy led to the decline of the automotive industry here being eclipsed by designs more practical; and motorcycles which are similarly more well adapted to longer distances, that more modern design and technology have challenged and considerably antiquated to the point of government subsidy of the industry.

I think that with lighting here, this is affected by the unique situations too; which overtime has become more homogenous with the rest of the world, as well.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

My 90L DD I use Plasma Glow bulbs I bought from Ebay. This is a link to what I bought. I've been running them for about a yr. No issues, good lighting. The bulbs I bought are standard wattage, these are 80/100 watts. These are the same brand as I'm using,except I bought mine from someone else on ebay.

another link
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-PlasmaGl...ae5519&vxp=mtr

I'll remember to check the next time I'm in an auto parts store; but, these seem likely what I've seen on the shelf I've been wondering about using. The price for a pair seems very reasonable, so probably something I'll end up buying to have in the glove compartment. Keeping at least one spare headlight bulb in the car is certainly a wise plan, in my experience; so using an upgrade like these will fit in well for my needs.

I've been noticing other cars running some sort of lighting which though obviously different hasn't also been offensive, in fact seeming a little less so; which makes me hopeful about these bulbs, some shopping will probably prove what I've noticed in stores and maybe on the road too.

Comment

another link
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-PlasmaGl...ae5519&vxp=mtr

I'll remember to check the next time I'm in an auto parts store; but, these seem likely what I've seen on the shelf I've been wondering about using. The price for a pair seems very reasonable, so probably something I'll end up buying to have in the glove compartment. Keeping at least one spare headlight bulb in the car is certainly a wise plan, in my experience; so using an upgrade like these will fit in well for my needs.

I've been noticing other cars running some sort of lighting which though obviously different hasn't also been offensive, in fact seeming a little less so; which makes me hopeful about these bulbs, some shopping will probably prove what I've noticed in stores and maybe on the road too.

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                For the price and light output, hid kit is the way to go. I have had my set for about 2 years with 1 issue with a ballast. They have a lifetime warranty, so I contacted them, they had me send it back and 2 weeks later I recived 2 updated design ballasts. Here is a link to the kit I have.
                http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
                I'm currently far less of a technoid with the Festiva, than vehicles in my past; so unless I were more confident with the newer style of electronics, I'd probably pass on something like this though certainly an attractive seeming option.

I'm hung on newer style electronic connectors, since prior to the Festiva the most modern vehicles I've owned were a two year-old '67 Mustang I had a few years for a hundred and eighty thousand of the three hundred thousand miles, the car was sold with; then from '82-'94 a '66 VW "square-back" sedan I put a hundred thousand miles on whose "clock" must've turned over a few times, perhaps even before we became acquainted.

I've changed both the headlight bulbs on the Festiva, so would feel confident getting replacement bulbs which fit the same as standard ones; though since electronics has always been my weakest automotive skill, initially out of fear of fires from sparks near gasoline when carburetor fires were feasible, I'll have to wait for my ascending to another plateau I've not yet scaled. I always think in terms of plumbing trying to figure out electrical things, since the flow path of water seems so similar in essence to electrical current; so I'm really basic.

Comment

Bob, it is interesting that you would post this on a day where I wanted to get a 50,000 candlewatt light and turn it on the faces of people driving behind me with their high beams on. I wish high-beams and light output was more severely regulated and heavily fined. I dont ever think there is a need for Hids or halogens. Just better driving conditions, better DRIVERS, and the knowledge that: if your night vision is horrible or lacking, Stay the freak home at night...

I would love to see a study done on how many people think they have horrible night vison, or are going blind, and its just from the high output of todays automobile lighting standards.
                  In Drivers Ed. we were always taught about "over driving your headlights". It doesnt seem like this concept is taught at all these days. everyone seem to think brighter headlights = better driving. The other side to it is that the inside of the vehicles these days have more lights and light to it having an adverse effect on the drivers visions and how bright they perceive their headlights to be.
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Some of these HID kits do not have hi-low, only one beam. Some are hybrid.
                    I did sell a (1) car hybrid and shortly replaced them with HID on both hi and low beam. I too find the light blue - blue -purple hues a little bit much for driving..any other purpose what ever floats your boat. For driving I prefer 4500k and adjust the hue by how many watts is put through the bulb.

Most of these are pretty simple kits but like anything a little adaption is usually necessary to fit and hook everything up.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Re: alternative headlight bulbs?

I for one have a real problem with the arrogant jerks who think that it's ok to keep their high beams on in heavy traffic. High beams are for rural areas, not downtown! These people KNOW that they're blinding people, but don't care.
                      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Bob, I've never seen the Plasma Glows in a store. Ebay is the only place I've seen them.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I switched to ordinary over the counter 9004 Sylvania Ultravision/supervision (whatever name they use) many years ago only because they're a direct fit and because they're much brighter than OEM. "Wild" lights are only of use for intimidation against clowns that leave their brights on when coming towards you or when you're way way out in flat country on a new moon. I wired-in airplane landing lights (illegal, even said so on the units) 30 years ago on my 68 GMC. Had to install separate wires and a relay so as not to cook the circuit wires. They were spectacular on dark clear nights out in the country, for jacklighting deer and for causing oncoming vehicles to swerve. In town they were of no particular use and during snowstorms were a downright nuisance with all the glare and reflection coming back in the window.

Comment

I hate the vehicles with a bazillion candlepower filling my rear view mirror. I was thinking of rigging up a sign the size of the entire rear window of a Festy made up of a matrix of bright LEDs (perhaps even white) whereby I can (from a laptop or a dashboard switch) select from among several flashing messages, including:
                            DIM
                            LIGHTS!
                            I have the capability to program a $5 microcontroller to do that, but have no idea where to pick up a big array of LEDS nor how to properly fasten it to the inside of the rear window in such a way that I can still see through the window reasonably well.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg
                            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Bob, I've never seen the Plasma Glows in a store. Ebay is the only place I've seen them.
                              Last store I saw them, were in a chrome shop for trucks. "Semis" Otherwise I have never saw them at McParts stores
                              Mike Holmgren
                              Thief Rvr Fls, MN
                              1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
                              "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Working...
                              X