No announcement yet.

Fuel advisory for cold climates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well buy race fuel in the 54 gallon drums..
    at least you get a hundred and ten octane and and some lead..lol

*VP 110 LEADED $43.00 $385
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      Might as well buy race fuel in the 54 gallon drums..
      at least you get a hundred and ten octane and and some lead..lol
      *VP 110 LEADED $43.00 $385
      If I were to fuel up with that 'high test' stuff specifically for an emissions-test I don't think the test facilities even have a provision for detecting lead anymore. Speaking of which; how does 'Avgas' compare to race fuel?
      Anyway this is the fifth day of sub zero temperatures in central Ontario and the car still starts like a champ on Premium gas. With cold starts, long warm-up idles and stiff bearings and all that cold drivetrain stuff my fuel economy has dropped (to be expected) like a stone. Makes me wonder how far a big block gas Hummer can go on a tank of fuel in this weather and whether the owners have taken out second mortgages in order to fill up the tank twice as often.

Comment

AV gas worked fine in my high compression snowmobile. The other with the stock engine runs fine on alke free regular.

Comment

I was looking at barrel pumps for shop use, there was a great big warning sticker DO NOT USE WITH CORROSIVE LIQUIDS SUCH AS
          WATER OR GASOLINE lol I am sure that means Oxygenated Gasoline

Comment

Ive got E30 in my 91 B6 with 226k and it fires up perfect when its -20F. Not sure what kinda gas you guys are getting.
            07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85
            91 Festiva DD B6, M5, AC, PS
            90 Festiva figure 8 racer
            90 Mustang LX, LSX, 4L80. AFONOMO

Comment

Originally posted by schreurs1 View Post
              Ive got E30 in my 91 B6 with 226k and it fires up perfect when its -20F. Not sure what kinda gas you guys are getting.
              You my friend might well be the recipient of 'bootleg' gas or maybe your car is tuned so well that it doesn't notice. I do like to hear stories like this though; us oldies tend to be pessimists. Try out a few other grades and at a different station. And get back to us.

Comment

It would also be interesting to back probe the computer and see what coolant and air temps you are reading before the weather warms up. Both mine started well at -10 F for a few days. The little tiny battery worked fine too in the red one.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                  It would also be interesting to back probe the computer and see what coolant and air temps you are reading before the weather warms up. Both mine started well at -10 F for a few days. The little tiny battery worked fine too in the red one.
                  I'll say one thing for Festys; the starters can really spin those little motors. My dad's 50,000 mi 05 Echo is much slower to catch, and fire ('course maybe I should be filling that tank with Premium next time around, and maybe the battery is not quite as new).

Comment

Ive tried everything under the sun and it doesnt matter how much or little ethanol is in it, 2 spins and shes up and running. Granted the gas station where i work makes our fuel differently. We do it right with only the best fuel. we dont make winterblends or any crap like that. You want 89 with 10% ethanol, then you get 87 octane pure gas and 10% E98 straight form the ethanol plant. That is the difference.
                    07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85
                    91 Festiva DD B6, M5, AC, PS
                    90 Festiva figure 8 racer
                    90 Mustang LX, LSX, 4L80. AFONOMO

Comment

Working...
                    X