Random Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Newbie Questions

1. What's the best way to extract broken valve cover bolts if pliers and vice grips fail to work?

2. What is the thread/pitch/size of the valve cover bolts on DOHC B-series motors (B6T specifically if it matters)?

3. Are the VJ11 and VJ14 exhaust manifold to turbo gaskets the same internal size?

4. To adequately polish exhaust parts after carbon removal and porting, are 320 grit rolls adequate?

5. Because mine aren't long enough, what's the cheapest/best place to locate 6" shank carbide burs for porting?

6. If one has a ported and polished exhaust manifold, compressor, and O2 housing, is it worth doing the turbine as well?

7. Is there any source other than a leaky turbo seal for oil accumulating in the intake system and intercooler?

Please keep your answers numbered so I can keep track of the information. Thanks very much everyone!
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

#1 a small pair of ridge pipe wrench,if you can get thewrench around it it will come out,

Comment

Weld a washer to the broken stud. If you can't turn the washer, weld a nut to the washer. B3 VC bolts are 6mm X 1.00 X 20mm or so.

Comment

5. on the Bay

Comment

6. I could be totally wrong but I wouldn't touch the turbine. I wouldn't risk anything that could even minutely mesh with the balance since that thing going to be spinning so quickly. Plus you would want air to cause friction on the turbine because you want the turbine to move. Just a thought, could be wrong . . . been wrong before . . . back in the 90's
          88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
          92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
          91 - Shell with title
          92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

Originally posted by caoverlock View Post
            #1 a small pair of ridge pipe wrench,if you can get thewrench around it it will come out,
            Not enough room unfortunately... it's a little bit too tight!

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
            Weld a washer to the broken stud. If you can't turn the washer, weld a nut to the washer. B3 VC bolts are 6mm X 1.00 X 20mm or so.
            There's an idea that could work! Thanks for the info on the B3 bolts. I wonder if they're the same. I think I'll just take a spare to Home Depot and decode it myself.

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            Thanks, BK. Not totally what I wanted but I found a tool shop in Vancouver with some good stuff!

Originally posted by TheNewAmericanSpirit View Post
            6. I could be totally wrong but I wouldn't touch the turbine. I wouldn't risk anything that could even minutely mesh with the balance since that thing going to be spinning so quickly. Plus you would want air to cause friction on the turbine because you want the turbine to move. Just a thought, could be wrong . . . been wrong before . . . back in the 90's
            Sounds good. I may just gasket much the turbine inlet if there's going to be a reverse step from porting out the exhaust manifold. That's my only concern about it really.

Comment

M6x45mm seems to be the winning ticket for the valve cover bolts. Matches up almost perfectly courtesy of Home Depot.

Comment

If the new ones aren't plated with something hard I'd recommend anti-siezing the crap out of them to avoid the same thing happening again, a lot quicker.

Comment

8. What is the thread and pitch of the studs sticking out of a B6T exhaust manifold towards the turbo? What size tap and die do I need to repair the holes and studs?

Comment

9. I'm going to replace my downpipe with a 2.5" unit shortly with a new flex pipe, but for now, what can I shove between my control arm brace and turbo down-pipe to stop it from rattling every time I launch and shift? I need something high heat, static, and rattle-reducing.

Comment

Working...
                    X