Festiva Picnic is Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Picnic is Over

I put 130K trouble-free miles on my '93 until it went down with a botched snout seal job. Got a '92 auto with (supposedly) rebuilt motor which dropped a cylinder after one month. Then I got an '89 carby which dropped several cylinders last Nov. Retagged my patched '93 that only has 70 PSI on one cylinder. Did leakdown test on two supposed turnkey motors I bought for $100 each. Both are leaking through valves. Pulled head on one that had a new head gasket but there was a chunk missing from a valve! Hoping 3.5 cylinder '93 will get me through winter or until I can get '89 head done. Head rebuild is $200!

i had mine refinished and decked .020" with all seats and valves re-cut for $160. If you take some time with it you can get it done cheaper than that. i recomend you familiarize yourself with the action of laping valves. mix and match parts to make a good engine... and clean clean clean!!!
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

valve lapping hasn't been recommended for 20 years! The proper way is to grind the valves and cut the seats.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Why is it an old Bill Maudlin war cartoon, of a beset American soldier covering his eyes while preparing to put his 'broke a wheel' Jeep out of it's misery with a pistol, comes to mind? Kidding aside I wonder if you might be able to come up with an upgrade cam and roller rocker arrangement for when the official rebuild and install takes place in the spring.

Comment

To bad that Festivamotorsport is longer in the business of selling the new 1.3 engines. I bought 3 several years ago and all three Festivas are still going strong after six year and more.

Comment

Working...
          X