Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

don't know if this is already here, but it seems like it's been written...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't know if this is already here, but it seems like it's been written...

once the fun and games are over of upgrading your engines in the festiva's, how do you go about reregistering or altering your registration so that you can legally drive your vehicles on the roads again?

please tell me your tales of woah or GOOOOOOO here.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Here in the US, we get to just swap and go! banana time

There may be a few states that regulate old vehicles, but the majority have free run. In the state of Missouri, all pre - 1995 vehicles are exempt from emissions, If its road worthy, register it, get a license, and drive it.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

so there's no hassle with swapping engines at all?
      as in no restrictions in regards to doing this?
      and there is no issue with registration at all?

so let me get this right, you can get a ford festiva 1991, put a V8 in it without engineering certificates at all?

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

You got it! I haven't heard of any restrictions on motor swaps. Its a big industery here in the states, theres even TV shows about it!
        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Re: don't know if this is already here, but it seems like it's been written...

Hot dang! Gary! Lets move to the states!!! Or new Zealand. They have not restrictions either

Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2
          1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Here's what Moz and i have to contend with here in Australia. (Moz is in NSW, I'm in Victoria, NSW is north of VICTORIA for anyone not aware)

1st Step - NO probationary license holder is able to drive or modify a registered Vehicle - i have this, so i will work on the car and hope to jesus that the car laws don't change in that time. (All test driving will be done in the middle of the night)

Now the real steps.

2nd Step - Go to Vicroads/RTA to have modification checked for registration renewal to add new motor/engine (Vic has 20% maximum increase in new engine power, NSW has 15% as i'm told by Moz) so for example, we'll use my state as an example, 20% of 1324 which is 264.8 and add that to the original cc's.. so 1324 + 264.8 = 1588.8cc's which is the new maximum. The B6 is 1597cc. This is Victoria only. NSW would be 1522.6. Also, by vicroads, you have 30 days to get this rectified by VASS or reverse the swap.

The links here explain to vicroads what you intend on doing,

here explains the modifications that can be done, head down to 'Change of engine' and

here is in conjunction to heavy vehicles (im assuming some of the rules involve normal cars too) and the combination of these three explain the mess that we deal with. It's Bullshit. i remember my dad worked on cars and there was nothing the cops did, nor back then when it was the RTA in Victoria.

3rd Step - If Vehicle isn't passed by a vicroads officer (usually they "can be" fairly lenient and are clueless in regards to engines, etc, at times, as i've heard stories of people getting a new registration ticket and nothing else except a friendly smile and the blessed word "next"), then it's off to VASS or the Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme which deal with the following :- https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ember_2012.doc
            Once you get a certificate from them (heard of prices ranging from $350 to $800), then you go back to Vicroads and then have the car reassessed (cost of assessment is nothing).. but without this certificate, cops can have a field-day and can slap on your car, what is known as a "canary" (big yellow sticker saying "defective"), but i have heard, you don't legally have to show them what's under your bonnet, even with suspicion or reason to believe something is not right, unless your driving like a dick, and even then they can't, but more likely they will arrest you.

I also understand, that if the car and new 'swap engine' wasn't an optional engine made for that car, that it's usually stated on the Vicroad's computer system (not 100% about RTA) that the car will require a RoadWorthy Certificate and a VASS Certificate.. but i have heard about vicroads in a place called sunbury, in victoria, that anything passes.

HOW SHIT IS THAT?

However, i do have one thing in my defence, as a last last resort, i can report that the car was manufactured in japan, on the same chassis, with a B6 engine.. also being that it's a Mazda/Ford engine, it's within the lineage of the car itself and not another motor like a toyota or nissan or whatever, apart from the fact that the engine i want to use is a Capri B6 and the B6 is a Mazda engine/Ford Engine which was fitted into the Festiva anyways.. i'm so not ready to stop fighting over this..

It's 9cc's for FUCKS SAKES.. just let it pass.

also, i have enough time to get it right too.. so i suppose i can't complain too much.

BTW, The GF is letting me get another Festy to do the swap in, so i still have a DD. WOOOT
            Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM.

Avg Economy:
            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
              You got it! I haven't heard of any restrictions on motor swaps. Its a big industery here in the states, theres even TV shows about it!
              yeah, i've seen west coast customs and inside west coast customs as well.. i think ryan seems like a bit of a dick, but also at times, he actually has his moments of grandeur.. but i gotta admit, ish is awesome and he says mang from time-to-time, which always makes me smile.

can you give me the names of some of the shows that do this so i can get a bit of a different angle, such as pulling an engine down and rebuilding (more than wheeler dealers), and i'm finding that WCC and IWCC are becoming a bit stale as they seem to deal with more interior and exterior work and no real motor work, but are good for tips and schemes as well as functions that i think "that would look sweet in the festy"

any shows involving and showing a torn down motor would be great, with as much explanation would be great as i seem to learn quite a lot from videos.. don't get me wrong, i'll pick up a tech manual too, but sometimes it's easier to understand when you see it being done.

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

What happens if you imported a modified vehicle into the country?
                Last edited by bravekozak; 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
                  Hot dang! Gary! Lets move to the states!!! Or new Zealand. They have not restrictions either

Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2
                  yeah.. Don't tempt me..

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

ignore this.
                    Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM.

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      What happens if you imported a modified vehicle into the country?
                      there are conditions on that too as you would have to have firstly deregistered from country of origin and inspection, then shipped, then from there quarantined and cleaned, then from there compliance(im assuming vass here) then roadworthy.

I'm guessing if the car meets standards, it would pass quicker.

I would also assume that if your here on holiday and wanted to bring a vehicle, there may be an exception due to the fact that the car isn't staying in the country.

that's just a guess.

here is a link though i will just add as it can tell you more.

Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM.

Avg Economy:
                      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

i think i'll find out what is needed here for a VASS certification, just in case as i hear some engineer's actually can blacklist you to police and vicroads so "You get your own ass handed to you and have to pay for the privilege as well" which is not something i'd be happy to hear about at the end of it all.

then again, i can hope, pray and not say a thing and see what happens or wait until the next registration and see if they will just update the sticker.

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Engineering certificate? Dude, we're rednecks, hold my beer while I drop this top fuel dragster in my Festy....
                          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Look at the Barrett-Jackson auctions, half of the cars on there don't have their original engines. LOL.

Just do a B6 they look the same. Are you thinking that the common person at whatever place does your inspection, is going to look under your hood, and know the difference between a B3, B6, B6T, BP? I wouldn't worry so much. Just don't go announcing that you have changed the engine, and I'm guessing they'll never pop the hood...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

You could just install it without the turbo stuff and get it inspected/registered...then put the turbo stuff back on!
                              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                              Random Festiva Parts
                              Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Working...
                              X