Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference between aspire transmission and festiva? which for bp swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between aspire transmission and festiva? which for bp swap?

My '88 lx festiva came with a 4 speed with junkyard writing on the side. I also have a 5 speed out of a 94 aspire I pulled before I sold the rest of the car. I read that the transmissions are basically identical 5 speed festiva to 5 speed aspire, but the aspire transmissions have a marginally shorter final drive.

Whichever one I go with will be behind my BP swap.

The other will probably be kept as a spare.

thoughts?

on the one hand I'd like to have 5 speeds. just because?
    on the other, with the power of the bp 4 speed shouldn't be a big issue if the final drive is better. but not sure.

I dont think it would be a good idea to put the 5 speed behind a BP. They arent built for more than about 100hp and eventually youll likely have it grenade on you. Cant speak to the 4 speed, have no idea what it can handle.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I plan on being relatively easy on the car. it will be for my mostly highway commute. I don't think either of them are built to handle a ton of abuse... considering I think my car made something around 56 hp stock.

Comment

Re: difference between aspire transmission and festiva? which for bp swap?

The aspire 5 speed runs like 300 rpms less at 55 than the festy 4 speed, even with the shorter diff gear.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yeah I was thinking that would be the case. I believe thats the one I'll be going with then. thanks...

Comment

Either tranny will hold up fine with normal driving, including strong acceleration while moving. Launching from a stop will kill them for sure tho.

Edit: recommend a Stage 2 pressure plate and a new Sachs clutch. And while you're in there, a new rear main seal.
            Last edited by TominMO; 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              The aspire 5 speed runs like 300 rpms less at 55 than the festy 4 speed, even with the shorter diff gear.
              Wow I didnt realize the 4 spd was that steep.Thx for sharing that, someone just offered us a 4 spd for my Sons car. He drives all highway,I dont think he'll be happy with a 4 spd.
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I've got the spec stage II ready to go on. It was the only aftermarket clutch I could find, I searched and posted here before buying it.

Comment

Re: difference between aspire transmission and festiva? which for bp swap?

Yeah if I remember the 4 speed was turning like 2900-3000 at 55ish. It was screaming at 80+
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                  X