Any mx3 guys here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mx3 guys here?

My dad was thinking about taking a look at this mx3 gs with the 1.8l v6. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3577865863.html What I would like to know is will a 5 speed from a probe gt/mx6 bolt up to the 1.8? Also, does the motor have to come out to do the water pump?

Yes, if the 5-speed is from a probe GT, it will bolt up. No, you don't have to remove the engine to do the water pump. Make sure that the car is a GS, as the 1.6 was a 4 cylinder. It looks like the body is in real nice shape and those rear mudflaps are a hot item.
    Last edited by nonamekid; 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Will the 2.5L from a Probe or Cougar bolt in? What about a 3.0L DOHC from a Taurus?
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Probe/MX6 2.5 DOHC will bolt up, lots of guys do it. I don't think the Taurus one would though, I believe the DOHC 3.0s are Ford Duratecs, while the 1.8/2.5 are Mazda K series (K8 and KL respectively). My brother has a '93 GS (1.8L V6) and he loves it. Its got a wicked aftermarket exhaust system and some Enkei RP01 16s but other than that bone stock. I've driven it several times and its a fun little car. If it has power windows they like to suicide, starting with the switch and ending with the cable finally breaking. Other than that good little cars, I'd own one if I found one cheap enough to play around with.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Duratec 3.0L DOHC in the Taurus was a Mazda based engine as well (as opposed to the 3.0L OHV Vulcan) but I know very little about it...even having owned one for several years. It may take a different tranny and such. I do know that it was dead reliable and ran like a scalded dog. I believe it was rated at 200hp. The one time I test drove a Cougar with the 2.5L Duratec, it was no slouch either. I bet it would be fun in an MX3!
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Any mx3 guys here?

Duratecs are totally different then the K series

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

OK, think I'm starting to figure this out now. So, evidently Mazda, Jaguar and others used the Duratec in some of their vehicles, but it was not a relative of the Mazda K series. And the 2.5 DOHC in the Cougar was not a Mazda engine...but the Cougar and MX6 were the same basic chassis? Am I getting warm?Edit: OK, so the Cougar was based on the Contour and had no Mazda counterpart like the Probe. I think I understand this now.
              Last edited by blkfordsedan; 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM.
              Brian

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X