2005 Kia Rio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Kia Rio

I have a 5-speed manual 2005 kia rio available for me to get, theyr asking $4k i would actually be driving this as is and would like to keep it stock, as much as possible at least. It needs an o2 sensor replaced.

Here is the description he gives:
    It's a great little 5 speed manual car that is excellent on gas mileage. You get around 30 mpg highway and 24 in town supposively but when you own the car it seems like a lot more than that. 20 dollars in the gas tank is enough to drive you around for days. This would be a great car for a new driver, anyone who needs to commute for work, or even anyone that is just looking to save on some gas money in the future! The car only has 65,000 miles on it and its still in pretty darn good shape! I replaced the alternator and battery within the last year and I would say the tires still have another few years of life.
    Now..the only minor problem is that the oxygen sensor is going out. I cleaned it out a few weeks ago and the check engine light went away so I thought that might take care of it but the check engine light came back on the other day. It really doesn't affect the way the vehicle runs at all! So either I can get it fixed before you buy it, or at this point I'm ready to just give the car up for $3800 and save someone an extra $200 on this car. The part is only $65 dollars at autozone

My questions to you guys are:
    What to look for on it?
    How reliable are these usually?
    Is he exaggerating on the gas mileage?
    and just any other general info or thought you have about it.

Thanks!!
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

I'm not trying to be negative. I just looked up the Kbb and Nada on this car, and even in EXCELLENT condition (only 3% of cars meet this criteria) it's only worth $3450 from a private party. How does he justify his price? It needs work. I would expect MORE than 30mpg out of a 5 speed rio...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

They are decent little cars, but I'm with Gabe on this one, price does seem a little high, Though 65k on an 8 year old car isn't a whole lot of miles either so that may be part of it. I'd probably try offering $3500 and see what he says. As for gas mileage, well I would say the guy has no clue what its actually getting. Anyone who uses a catch phrase like "$20 of gas will last for days"* probably hasn't actually fully filled their tank and calculated mileage in a long time, if ever. I'd expect over 30 on the highway from it, and at least 25 in town, probably higher than that.

* I can put $20 worth of gas in my Astro van and that usually lasts me a month, even though it gets 14mpg. Because I don't drive it a lot. Lol. Guessing at gas mileage is a useless game, because it is just that, guessing.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

$3400 would be top dollar to pay for that car. The seller sighing about "I MIGHT have to give it away for $3800" is just sales talk, to be expected.

The EPA rates the car at 22 MPG city, 29 highway - I'm on a job right now driving a Dodge Grand Caravan that is getting that (averaging 26 MPG), so I'm not sure where those ratings really come from. A little light 5-speed like that ought to average 35 MPG unless it's leaking gas somewhere.

I'd say go see it, and if it feels right, have $3200 in one pocket in green jacksons, and $200 in the other pocket in case .....

Lannis

Comment

We have an ample supply of those cars in the PNP'S around here, iirc those are an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt lets go your in for a hefty repair bill ask the seller if the timing belt has been changed lately. Good luck
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I thought that these ran on B6's or was that only in other countries?

Comment

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
              I thought that these ran on B6's or was that only in other countries?
              Early Kia's used mazda engines, but by the 2000's they had their own designs, almost all of which were interference. The Wikipedia article on the Mazda B series is pretty wrong on what Kia's used them.
              '97 Aspire

Comment

I was wondering.... could you pick up a dead Rio and put a B3 or B6 in it with a Festy trans ?

Comment

A stock B3 would be super wimpy in a heavier car such as the Rio.
                  -Zack
                  Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Good reliable car , but hes asking twice the $ its worth.

Comment

If you buy it, CHANGE THE TIMING BELT!!!!

If in doubt, do it.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My customers seem to like them, one is in every 2 months for her 3 K service and she gets from 35 to 41 mpg. There has been above average ignition and computer parts. It is a 2001.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The U-pull here has a steady stream of abandoned/foresaken 00 to 05 Rios coming through. An 2002 wagon I was familiar with was throwing front bearings so often that the owner just dumped it out of frustration.

Comment

Re: 2005 Kia Rio

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            The U-pull here has a steady stream of abandoned/foresaken 00 to 05 Rios coming through. An 2002 wagon I was familiar with was throwing front bearings so often that the owner just dumped it out of frustration.
                            Prolly didnt have the right preload spacers...
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

This thread can be closed

Comment

Working...
                              X