ATTN: Ontario members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: Ontario members

I hope they scrap the etest, I signed the petition to do my part to help scrap the etest

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Wow that sucks for you Ontario boys
    Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Should be easier for OBD1 cars to pass (just a 2 speed idle test) but brutal for OBD2 cars and since my escape is an 08' I hope it passes

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Moral of the story: Don't buy modern cars!

Comment

Nope, northern Ontario does not have an etest at all, so I'll just move north

Comment

Thanks for the "alert". I signed the petition. My concern is the hundreds of privately-owned test facilities that have invested tens of thousands of dollars in the tail pipe test equipment; they'll be some pissed off and looking to recoup their investment somehow. 87 and earlier vehicles are exempt from e-tests already (I was actively involved with encouraging that policy decision 6-7 years ago) and I'm hoping gov't will now see fit to exempt the 88-96 OBDI vehicles too.

Comment

These 'environmentally feel good' government policies are a consistent tax and user fee generator and consequently it is more likely e-tests will become more encompassing (ie to include n. Ontario) than they are to become less so. Up until now tail pipe testing cost $30 a pop and, although OBDII reader versions are infinitely easier and cheaper to administer, you can be darn sure the price will never reflect that. Independent test facilities bought into this private-public scheme because the financial ceiling limit for repairs were only allowed to be performed 'in-house' (same accredited facility) in order for the vehicle owner to receive that credit.
              I am so happy to have experienced car ownership during the early 1970s because at that time there were no requirements for anything at all (neither certificate of mechanical fitness nor emission tests) and you could actually license and drive a $50 car that was badly rusted, trailed smoke, had no seat belts, and continually shed parts. The automobile insurance industry is entirely regulated by the government and therefore it is in the interests of both parties to increasingly dictate the standards for vehicles allowed on the roads.

Comment

You guys could just move here to Michigan.
                It's funny because I fabricated parts and assembled equipment for emissions testing, but we don't even do tests here or at least we haven't for awhile.
                Last edited by jjk1224; 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM.
                2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

It is an oxymoron that people are encouraged to buy new cars (ie by discouraging them from driving old cars) via the maze of e-tests that are designed/implemented solely to empty your wallet under the guise of rendering the planet more "green". When in fact the smoke-belching and energy-grubbing mining facilities and factories that produce new vehicles produce way more emissions and use much more energy than does any car that is religiously maintained for another 15-20 years beyond it'd "best before" date. Of course western economies are increasingly geared to produce and satisfy conspicuous consumers, and not at all us depreciation-avoidance and cheapskate 'old car' owners.

Comment

Using an old car and refusing to buy a new one is just my way to sticking it to the man. lol

I am glad there is no safety or emissions checks in my county, as long as it has a clean title, it can be registered and driven legally, as long as you have the basic necessities like lights.
                    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM.
                    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                      Using an old car and refusing to buy a new one is just my way to sticking it to the man. lol
                      I am glad there is no safety or emissions checks in my county, as long as it has a clean title, it can be registered and driven legally, as long as you have the basic necessities like lights.
                      I like (love!) that attitude! Entirely trust citizens to do the right thing and take care of themselves instead of relying on gov't to lighten their wallets and make a mess of trying to dictate how you should live. Bet you folks have tolerable taxes, provisions for 'concealed carry', gentlemen still open doors for ladies, and mouthy kids get their mouths washed out with soap.

Comment

I will sign on behalf of the rest of the silent flock. I have no computer anymore. I threw it out. They shall seek, but shall not find. The honourable Minister of the Environment is counting on the fact that the vast majority of the public believe that a car needs a computer in order to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                          I will sign on behalf of the rest of the silent flock. I have no computer anymore. I threw it out. They shall seek, but shall not find. The honourable Minister of the Environment is counting on the fact that the vast majority of the public believe that a car needs a computer in order to operate.
                          I wouldn't have understood this comment without having seen or known about your car. Switching a 93 EFI B3 over to B6 and non-feedback twin carbs will allow you to say that; "Goodbye ECU (computer?)". It is encouraging to hear that your car continues to pass e-tests, for now.
                          Retrofit engines (ie non-OEM) seem to have much more relaxed emissions requirements in Ontario, as you and Damkid have already proven, and maybe it's time someone like Capriguy (instead of having Festiva emblems made) offers aftermarket B3 valve covers that say Suzuki, Mazda or even Ferrari on them.

Comment

We have no e testing here either, and you know the "right" place to go to get your safety inspection sticker if you live here long enough. I've certainly driven cars that had no business on the road. My old red L for instance once dragged the cat dangling from the rubber supports all the way home one day. But in the grand scheme, it works out better to leave people's cars to them, IMHO. The average new car has posed far more of a demonstrated risk to my safety numerous times(which I avoided just fine so far) because of the driver than an old car falling apart ever has. And we have plenty of them here.

I think it would be awesome if big brother would invest in mandated USEFUL driver's ed courses for youngsters rather than police to death those already driving.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Well Damkid you were right about Ontario e-tests.
                              I took my nephew's 99 Taurus wagon in for the test last week. This is a lo-mile car (120,000k) and was brought in one full week after we cleared the single code that had failed previously (2 months ago) and resulted in a CEL (Check Engine Light; 442evap emissions slow leak; ie needed new gas cap), replaced the battery, alternator, serpentine belt, and plugged up heater core. We had driven the car 60 km city and highway and ran the A/C and rear defrost at idle (just like the DriveClean pamphlet suggested to do) and waited 24 hours before doing that test and no CEL had come back on and yet the machine e-test registered the evap emission diagnostics as "not ready". The manager told us to come back for a re-test (another $20 over and above the initial $40 fee) two days later and to drive the car some more. We did all that and it registered as "not ready" once again!
                              By this time the manager sensed the intense hostility emanating from my sister, who was also present, and granted the car a free of charge (you're supposed to spend up to $450 in trying to achieve a pass) "conditional pass". So at least my nephew can re-new his plates and worry about e-tests 2 years from now, but what an undue amount of aggravation.
                              Apparently British Columbia has or had a similar e-test system and is phasing out the entire program.
                              What I'm curious about is what they're going to do when I bring in a Festy; that particular facility has discarded the old roller wheel and tailpipe testing equipment. I'm also going to bring them a receipt for $450 for purchase of a B3 engine (whole Aspire included, but they don't have to know that) should the car not pass muster.
                              I was somewhat alarmed by the intrusive electronic testing (they allowed me to watch) in that they electronically scan the serial number of the car off the door post, photo record the license plates and odometer and hookup to the car's OBDII for about 5 minutes. Who knows what other information the gov't is gleaning from the memory of the car's 'black box'.

Comment

Working...
                              X