Trailer tire or Festy tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trailer tire or Festy tire?

A long day of modifying - mostly sanding and coating an indoor/outdoor sheet of plywood. That wood is ridiculously porous! I went through 3/4ths a pint of spar urethane just to get a good coating on it. I figure that I'll be using the plywood to top the trailer until I can find the treadplate I'm looking for at a reasonable price. $150 for a 4x4' sheet of 1/8" seems pretty high. I'll bore a few holes into the wood to cover the bolt heads, and then drill through a couple spots to put the floor down. I may even coat the bottom of the wood in rubberized spray. So far, so good. I priced the lights I'm looking for, and it looks like the corner markers will be about $24 after taxes. The tails are another $37 off eBay. They're all LED, so they should last me indefinitely.

Oh, that 1,000-lb tongue jack is on there so I can pull the trailer around like a wagon. This year at Drift Atlanta, we're going to use it to get our folding table, chairs, grill, coolers, and 9x9' quick shade to the hill we like in one trip!
    Last edited by DriverOne; 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      A 40" x 48" trailer with hardwood flooring piled two foot high is gonna be in the 1000 lb load range if it's packed/stacked tightly.
      Actually, white oak with a density of 47 lbs/ft cu produces a loading of 1628 lbs (4x4.33x2x47).
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You went all out!
        With the adjustable third wheel.
        Mine came with both signal lights and parking lights.
        I was also lucky enough that the previous owner of my house left a piece of 3/4" plywood that was a perfect fit for the trailer.
        I did not seal mine as it lives in the garage.
        I think I may use a piece of thermoformed "carpet" from a project another department is working on to cover/protect my plywood and reduce sliding of loads.
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Dang that is some pretty wood!!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

And a tiny trailer. Hard to believe that is even road legal.
            That would be impossible to see behind a truck, but it's perfect for doubling the capacity of a Festiva.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Never leave polyurethane indoors during the final drying stage. My God, I'm flyin'!
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                And a tiny trailer. Hard to believe that is even road legal.
                That would be impossible to see behind a truck, but it's perfect for doubling the capacity of a Festiva.
                Without anything on it, you can't see it when your towing it with the festiva!
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I have one of these trailers that folds in the middle. I've carried trash, junk, and all else on it. Including a golf kart with a VF700 motor on it from GA all the way back to NE PA, behind my Camaro, followed immediately by a trip to pick up a set of tracks for my skid steer all the way back down to Lancaster area and back, also behind the Camaro, and all using the 8'' wheels.

Recently, I carried the same trailer behind my Saturn L series with slightly over 1,000 sf of 7mm laminate flooring on it, as well as 2 sheets of CDX 3/4'' plywood subfloor. It can handle just about anything that can fit on it, and as crazy as I am, I've considered putting a Festiva on it to deliver to a friend, as well.

Comment

Correction, I have the double sized version of that one. I'll more than likely be upgrading it to 13'' rims sooner or later, and since I never fold it, I'll just put a solid floor on it. More than likely a sheet of CDX with metal edges and a good coat of marine paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                      Correction, I have the double sized version of that one. I'll more than likely be upgrading it to 13'' rims sooner or later, and since I never fold it, I'll just put a solid floor on it. More than likely a sheet of CDX with metal edges and a good coat of marine paint.
                      I've built one of those. If you're going to make it solid, weld it, and remove the bolts except those holding the suspension. You'll also want to add a piece of L-channel steel to either side of your deck where the hinges once were to keep the trailer uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                        I have one of these trailers that folds in the middle. I've carried trash, junk, and all else on it. Including a golf kart with a VF700 motor on it from GA all the way back to NE PA, behind my Camaro, followed immediately by a trip to pick up a set of tracks for my skid steer all the way back down to Lancaster area and back, also behind the Camaro, and all using the 8'' wheels.

Recently, I carried the same trailer behind my Saturn L series with slightly over 1,000 sf of 7mm laminate flooring on it, as well as 2 sheets of CDX 3/4'' plywood subfloor. It can handle just about anything that can fit on it, and as crazy as I am, I've considered putting a Festiva on it to deliver to a friend, as well.
                        I bolted a solid 3/4 subfloor sheet that was discounted because of banding marks, no folding anymore. I delivered a honda civic on it to a guy who had a forklift. I used my forklift to load it as the tires hung off each side. I really got some crazy looks going through town

Comment

That's awesome!

My spar urethane skills are being put to the test this evening. The "heavy rain" forecasted for tomorrow is already here! Let's hope the water runs off of it easily!

I love building trailers! I hope to make a trailer that will give me the ultimate Festiva meet setup, with a 30x20 shelter complete with banners and walls, a 2-burner gas grill, table and folding chairs, two 50-qt coolers, etc.
                          Last edited by DriverOne; 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Continuation now in the Garage, as this has become a build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                              That's awesome!

My spar urethane skills are being put to the test this evening. The "heavy rain" forecasted for tomorrow is already here! Let's hope the water runs off of it easily!

I love building trailers! I hope to make a trailer that will give me the ultimate Festiva meet setup, with a 30x20 shelter complete with banners and walls, a 2-burner gas grill, table and folding chairs, two 50-qt coolers, etc.

Okay, that was mean!!! Bringing up the shelter and off to the garage!

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                                Okay, that was mean!!! Bringing up the shelter and off to the garage!

Comment

Working...
                                X