Question for members from Tennessee about rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for members from Tennessee about rust

I had an interesting visiter this evening.

A gentleman stopped by to ask if I'm into Festivas being there are 2 in my driveway.

He told me he has one he's wanting to sell that is from Tennessee.

(I had previously spotted the same Festy sitting in front of a garage while driving around the back roads, but I didn't know if anyone was around or even lived there as I hadn't seen any fresh tire tracks in the driveway, so I didn't bother to stop.)

Well he goes on to say there are a few spare parts and the underside, including brake and fuel lines are solid. It supposedly runs but has HLA noise and it "smokes a little".

I don't know the mileage or really anything else about it. Only the price. (Which I won't disclose right now, but I consider it "cheap") LOL.

I'm going to attempt to go look at it tomorrow providing the weather cooperates.

So FINALLY my question.

Do vehicles from Tennessee pretty much remain "rust free"?

Sorry for the long(ish) post.

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
    Do vehicles from Tennessee pretty much remain "rust free"?
    For the most part, yes. The norhteast part of TN gets the most snow and they use salt sometimes. But most vehicles here are relatively rust free.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
      For the most part, yes. The norhteast part of TN gets the most snow and they use salt sometimes. But most vehicles here are relatively rust free.
      Well so far it sounds good. I don't know where in Tennessee it's from. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Sometimes east TN, in the mountains, they use salt, but nothing like up north where you are.
        Last edited by Breedlove; 03-01-2013, 11:55 PM.
        93 Festiva GL

Comment

I bought mine in Brandenburg ky a little farther north and there wa some rust. The 2years I was in Clarksville it snowed 4times iirc
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I got back about an hour ago from looking at it. Kinda difficult to see the underside with the snow on the ground.

From what I was able to see, it appears to be very solid. I found out it came from Lexington in case anyone would like to know.

I ended up buying it with the thought in my head of it being a good solid base to start with.

It has a couple of dents, one in each quarter panel, and the driver side fender is a bit wrinkled where the corner marker light should be.

I haven't got it home yet as i was rather pushed for time to look at the car while the owner was home. Our work schedules didn't exactly make it easy.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Re: Question for members from Tennessee about rust

350 diesel swap?
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                350 diesel swap?
                I don't have a big enough shoehorn for that....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  350 diesel swap?
                  It would still smoke a "little" !
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    It would still smoke a "little" !
                    Yea, I have a feeling the present engine smokes more than a little, but I'll know more once i get it home and start checking things out.

Comment

I don't think you could pick a worse diesel to swap in. The engineers behind the diesel 350 I'm pretty sure just decided to replace the spark plugs with glow plugs and run diesel through it. 105 Clattery crappy horses from 350ci is pretty lame.
                      Owner of:
                      1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                      In progress:
                      BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I'm thinking the "bean counters" had more to do with the poor design then the engineers.

I've had 3, 5.7 V8 and 3, 4.3 V6 diesels. Out of the 2, the V6's were a better design but i was able to get 30 MPG with a 5.7 in a box Caprice.

Now that same Caprice has a 6.2. IF I ever get it finished....LOL.

Comment

Working...
                        X