fuel tank size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank size

did a quick search, and the only thing I can find on the board is about doing a fuel tank swap... searching online, the only resource I can find are for OE Replacements that are 10 gallons...

Basically... I was running late for work today, saw the license plate in the store stating something like "400 miles on a tank of gas" or something, and then the OE replacement of 10 gallons and concluded that our tanks are 10 gallons... is that correct?

reason I'm asking is full to empty on the gas gauge I usually get about 250 miles on a tank... but have never put 8 gallons in when filling back up... it's always about 7.6-7.7... which is an average of about 32.47-32.89 mpg...

anyway, to stop rambling again... I was running late for work, stopping to get would have made me late instead of just on time, based on me averaging 32+mpg and only ever getting about 7.65 gallons, and seeing an OE replacement is 10 gallons, I was at 247 miles from last fill up and I work 27 miles from home... so I chanced it, lol, and made it... now I want to know if I can make it back home on what I've got because gas is 15 - 25 cents cheaper by my house...

so... in short... how many gallons is the stock fuel tank in my 1989 Ford Festiva L (Henry)?

Buy a gallon, make it home and fill up on the cheap stuff. Carrying a gas can farther than necessary costs more than 15¢ of disgrace. With that said, I don't know the capacity of the tank or, more importantly, how much of that capacity can be reached by the pump.

-Henry (also my name)

Comment

9.9 gallons, but I have put 10.3 in it, many times, filled to the top of the fill tube.

And with that poor a mileage I assume you have an ATX tranny.
      Last edited by Pu241; 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by htc View Post
        Buy a gallon, make it home and fill up on the cheap stuff. Carrying a gas can farther than necessary costs more than 15¢ of disgrace. With that said, I don't know the capacity of the tank or, more importantly, how much of that capacity can be reached by the pump.

-Henry (also my name)
        Lol, I know your point... and it is valid, lol... and congrats on having a car named after you, lol

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        9.9 gallons, but I have put 10.3 in it, many times, filled to the top of the fill tube.

And with that poor a mileage I assume you have an ATX tranny.
        I love the poor mileage thing... coming from an expedition... this is miraculous mileage... but yeah... three speed automatic with no overdrive, and I HAVE to take the highway to work... so there's only so long/far I can go 55 in the right lane you know? But we've got the five speed at home, and I'm ordering axles and a clutch kit tomorrow that should be here by friday so I can hopefully get it done this coming saturday since I'm not working... and we'll see how high it jumps up!

can't wait for that... the five speed came out of a 93, so... yeah... good luck to me... the cluster only read 94k miles, not to say that the trans or cluster weren't transferred into that car... but that would be awesome to get a good working trans from a 'low mileage' car

Comment

Originally posted by 2ruble View Post
          I love the poor mileage thing... coming from an expedition... this is miraculous mileage... but yeah... three speed automatic with no overdrive, and I HAVE to take the highway to work... so there's only so long/far I can go 55 in the right lane you know? But we've got the five speed at home, and I'm ordering axles and a clutch kit tomorrow that should be here by friday so I can hopefully get it done this coming saturday since I'm not working... and we'll see how high it jumps up!
          can't wait for that... the five speed came out of a 93, so... yeah... good luck to me... the cluster only read 94k miles, not to say that the trans or cluster weren't transferred into that car... but that would be awesome to get a good working trans from a 'low mileage' car
          You're going to attempt an auto to manual swap over a weekend? You have more confidence and/or experience than me.
          PS Have you scavenged the pedals and frame off a MTX and grabbed the cables etc? There is a clutch cable bracket under the dash, on the column, that is not featured on autos and ad-libbing it won't be so easy. Also I'm told the ECU in an ATX will not properly power a 4 or 5 speed and you'll want to swap that out too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            You're going to attempt an auto to manual swap over a weekend? Also I'm told the ECU in an ATX will not properly power a 4 or 5 speed and you'll want to swap that out too.

Bert, you have been supplied false data and are now propagating that false data.
            The ECU's do not interface with the transmission, as such, all ECU's can run either an ATX or a Manual transmission at least in the 91 to 93 EFI variant.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

fuel tank size

It's my understanding you'll need the cross member and mounts. As I was told, "basically anything that touches the transmission." Don't forget the starter either.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                Bert, you have been supplied false data and are now propagating that false data.
                The ECU's do not interface with the transmission, as such, all ECU's can run either an ATX or a Manual transmission at least in the 91 to 93 EFI variant.
                I realize that the ECU does not directly interface with the tranny but I have read numerous posts here that differentiate between auto and manual ECU for the purpose of proper idling etc. I'd like to hear from someone that has actually done it. It is not, and never has been, my intent to propagate false data.

Comment

crazyrog17 is correct about starter motors; they do not interchange between ATX and MTX. I have both types.

Comment

I have done this twice. There is a very good write up about it. You do not need a crossmember or ecu. Do get a man. trans petal assy. Keep parts together (90to93) for a 90 to 93 car. And 88 and 89 parts for 88 and 89 cars.

Comment

well... I've got the trans, mounts, crossmember, starter (not the harness, was just going to wire in the reverse light), pedal assembly, clutch cable, linkage... uhhh... that's it right? flywheel... think that's it... mine's an 89 and the trans came out of a 93... is that going to be an issue?

I thought (by looking here and checking part numbers) that they were all interchangable... please don't tell me I spent all that time taking the trans and stuff out to not be able to use it?

Comment

you also need axles. wiring is different on pedals if it did not come a 89 car. dont think it matters. trans is the same. if a dd spend the first weekend changing the petal assy. that way you can drive it during the week.

Comment

yeah, ordering axles and clutch kit when my friends and I have the time to do the swap

what do you mean wiring is different on the pedals? if I got the pedal assembly, isn't that all I need? we checked the 88 4 speed carb'ed car at the JY and the pedals looked the same, that's why we stuck with the assembly from the 93

Comment

sorry dont know the answer. Just that there are different switches and wires on a 88 and 89. Than there are on 90 to 93. there just on/off switches. may have to leave them open or tie them together to work. you also need the dust shield that was with man trans. If you have not seen it search for thread labeled "festiva auto to manual swap" Then I was listed as Dahodges.

Comment

I've got the dust shield too... I've got everything mentioned by a couple people except the axles (they were shot, so I'm ordering new ones) and clutch stuff (have flywheel, ordering clutch kit when ordering axles) and the starter harness (I can just wire in the reverse light)...

So I guess in the process of the swap we'll take a look at the pedals and see what's up... it would be nice to find a tach gauge too so that we could swap that out as well

Comment

Working...
                              X