No announcement yet.

Stock brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redoing the stock rotors SUCKS compared to the modern design of the Aspire or Rio. Floating rotors/drums is THE way to do it, and solid skinny rotors warp easier.

I never had an issue with braking with a stock system(barring one severe demon on my last car), but I always had 12s too. I wouldn't think of doing 14s or 15s without bigger brakes. I don't late brake. I'm a hypermiler when it comes to braking. Try not to do it if possible and keep momentum as much as possible if I have to use them.

In the grand scheme I look at it this way. The Aspire/Rio swap is better in every way possible. If I have the option, I'm doing it, even if I don't have an issue with the stock setup,..... yet.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I was re-placing stock brakes at an alarming rate for 6 years until the switch to Aspire goodies. By my reckoning you get at very least double the longevity out of Aspire brakes (bigger and more surface area) plus the Aspire vented/floating rotors are a breeze to service compared to the archaic solid rotor Festy setup. And that's just me; I don't buy top of the line of anything nor buy into performance parts.

Comment

I replaced the stock calipers for $28 a piece at O'reilly's and had a friend at Advanced Auto Parts get me some ceramic brake pads for $19.99 listed for $119.99. Brakes well, but I think I need to re-bleed them. I get one front wheel to lock up before the other?
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
        X